Sign in to follow this  
jaredchan

Troy

indexed.gif

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi all, this is my first sharing at the Historic Themes page of EB and I hope I will have more to share in the future. :classic:

The sack of Troy is my first take on castle creation and the plate-built Trojan Horse is modeled after the one in Brad Pitt's 2004 movie.

The build took less than 2 weeks and mostly comprised basic bricks and plates, this was due to the fact that I didn't really decide to join the competition until last minute. Having to build with whatever I had on hand inspired me to do things that were completely different from what I used to do (Almost all my earlier modular building creations were studless), parts of the horse and the Trojan Temple were built with the bottom of parts showing outward to give texture. I hope you guys will find this fresh instead of awkward :tongue:

agamemnons_victory.jpg

Agamemnon's Victory

honour_the_gods.jpg

Honour the Gods

spoils_of_war.jpg

Spoils of war

"Troy" will be on public display during the HKACG 2011 to be held from 27 July to 2 August 2011 in Hong Kong, I have avoided violence in the model for now to suit our young audience, but I will surely add some combat scene shots to my flickr at http://www.flickr.co...tos/jaredchan/. Thanks for watching, C&C are always welcome :wink:

Edited by TazManiac
Indexed

That's amazing. I think the use of the underside of the plate comes off very natural and intentional rather than awkward. I love the smoke billows coming out of the building.

Really great MOC, jaredchan :thumbup:

I especially like the wooden horse you've made, which looks great. :cry_happy:

The temple with smoke is also very well done, and the use of plates upside down is also nicely executed.

the Inventor

Jaw-dropping AWESOME 'jaredchan' ! :excited:

The SNOT job on the horse is what blasts this in to jaw-dropping arena ! :excited:

What else can I say but Brick On 'jaredchan' ! :grin:

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! :wub:

I especially love the sharp curves of the horse, rather than the squareness of what you might imagine a Trojan horse to look like - if I recall correctly, the style of the horse is actually accurate to what has been discovered.

The entire scene is beautiful, and I'm rather jealous of the event attendees! :laugh:

-A.S.

This is a very nice rendition of the original story, jaredchan.

May I just ask you to reduce the picture size to 800 pixels maximum as per our Member Guidelines, please? Thank you.

It's great that unexpected circumstances (deciding to enter the contest late) made you re-evaluate your building style, because as a result you've produced a great scene with some very interesting details, not least of which is your use of plates with the studs facing in rather than out.

The wooden horse looks just that (a wooden horse), and building a giant horse from LEGO is no mean feat, but you've also added texture and made it appear to be as it was in the story - something built by the Greeks on a foreign beach, made from the branches of the trees around them with whatever tools they had to hand. The addition of seaweed and colour of the baseplates reinforces this beach look. I also like the way you've depicted the city burning, and the 2x2 round plates depicting smoke are very effective. Another good thing is that there are lots of little scenes within the MOC as a whole, and this will surely provide interest when it goes on display.

Great MOC :thumbup: and best of luck in the competition. :sweet:

Thank you for all the kind words and sorry that I have to keep my reply short (its now 2:51am HK time and I really need to go to bed), I will check back to reply you all soon, thanks again!

At first glance, I thought, damn that horse is ugly, but then I thought back to the actual trojan horse, and this is a spitting image of it. The size is impressive, but then that beautiful backdrop you built, just makes this a winner in my book. :thumbup:

Wow, the Trojan horse itself has amazing shaping, and I love the use of inverted plates on the ground and walls to give a different texture. Great stuff. :thumbup:

It shows a great deal of courage on your part to try something different with the inverted plates, and I think it has worked well in this MOC.

Your horse design is great and I'm sure it would look even better in real life. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see more from you in future.

Wow, this comp is throwing up some amazing entries! :oh3: I do like the way you've used inverted plates for texture on the horse and building, but in some places it doesn't work so well for me - the columns, for instance, look a wee bit gappy. But the composition is great and overcomes such visual niggles, and little details like the olive branches (i assume that's what they are? From the Trojan's throwing them in front of the horse as they dragged it into the city?) on the ground are really neat too. Best of luck in the comp! :classic:

My favorite part of this MOC is fire and its effects on the Horse and the building.