4 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

My dark ages came in the mid to late 80s, when Star Wars, Transformers and He-Man and stuff like that caught my attention more than the solid, dependable Lego sets. So I didn't really have any feeling for the original pirates lines as I missed them entirely.

Since coming back to the Lego fold, I bought several sets of the latest Pirates line (2009) to prepare myself for the licensed Pirates of the Caribbean line. And for me, they've been a bit of a mixed bag. Whilst I really liked the DK Brickmaster Pirates book, I wasn't keen on Loot Island, with the wasted base plate, so let's see what happens with one of the smaller Pirates sets, the cringingly-named “Kraken Attackin'”.

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Kraken Attackin'

Set Number: 6240

Number of Pieces: 78

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD 9.99, GBP 8.99, EUR 9.99 (estimated, as a retired set this no longer features on LEGO Shop@Home)

Theme: Pirates

Year Released: 2009

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES:

Brickset

Peeron

My photo set on Flickr

THE REVIEW:

BOX:

Front:

5918471643_c7270b61ef_b.jpg

Like the later Kingdoms sets, the 2009 Pirates line featured very colourful, eyecatching boxes, and that is shown off here with the gorgeous aqua blue colouring. The front shows an action scene, and skillfully shows off all the elements included - even the box of gems gets highlighted as they are thrown from the raft as the Kraken attacks.

Back:

5919032048_690ac86d34_b.jpg

The back shows off a slightly different action scene, along with a panel showing off the biggest set of the 2009 Pirates theme at the time, Brickbeard's Bounty. The back also does good work highlighting all the accessories contained within.

Side:

5918471735_b2777ba26b_b.jpg

The side of the box shows off the two included minifigs in fighting poses, with the 1:1 picture being the two-toned parrot. The lovely weathered treasure-map background is most effective on this side, although it is present all over the box.

IN THE BOX:

Contents

5919032144_45670bdfba_z.jpg

Inside the box are two bags, neither of which are numbered. The Kraken is loose inside the box, and there is an instruction booklet with the same picture as the front of the box. No sticker sheet for this one, which comes as a relief.

Instruction Booklet:

5918471821_e0fb537208_b.jpg

The instruction booklet was folded into the box, even though the box is large enough to hold it without it being folded. Annoying! The background has some weathering to make it look like parchment, especially in the bottom left and top right corners of the fully opened booklet. A nice touch. There are no problems with colour differentiation as there are only a handful of different coloured pieces used.

The Pieces:

5919032250_5a85fc940f_z.jpg

Here are both bags empied on top of the Kraken. Notice it is primarily tan and brown pieces, befitting the construction of a raft.

Pieces of interest:

5918471897_7cd73d66e8_z.jpg

Most of the pieces are either regular bricks or accessories, but there were a couple of interesting pieces to show off here. The Kraken I believe is an old mold but reused for the first time in a long time here. The main issue with this is that he's too small. After seeing some of the brick-built Atlantis sea creatures, this one is very underwhelming. The parrot is also an older piece but with a new two-tone colouring. He looks great. The bucket for the lookout tower is also new for me, it's well detailed and is a nice standalone piece.

MINIFIGS:

Front:

5927182129_b04949db20_z.jpg

The front of the two minifigs. These torsos are nicely detailed, but are included in several of the Pirates sets so they are not unique. No leg prints either, just plain coloured legs. However, they give the impression of pirates well and fit in better with the more modern style of detailed Lego minifigures than their older counterparts.

Back:

5927182179_843506af19.jpg

There is back printing on both of the minifigs, corresponding nicely to the front, but as you can see, no alternate expressions for either of them.

Accessories:

5927237445_af9e6bf594_z.jpg

These two guys aren't loaded with accessories, however the set does give them more to use later. I am just showing what is pictured at the front of the booklet when it tells you to build the minifigs, which are the hats, a cutlass and a telescope. Let's have a look at the two minifigs with their stuff:

Pirate 1:

5919032406_ac8ddfeb43_z.jpg

There are differences of who gets which hat between the box art and the instruction booklet. On the box this guy gets the blue skull cap but the instructions give him the tricorn hat so I went with that. Interestingly the instructions also show this guy with white arms instead of the sleeveless yellow arms he comes with. The face doesn't look particularly piratey, in fact it was used later on for the good Knight in the Kingdoms Prison Carriage Rescue set.

Pirate 2:

5918472059_cef782a53e_z.jpg

This guy looks a lot more like a pirate with his expression, although I don't know how long he'd go before another pirate pulled out that gold tooth. Again, it's a face that's seen a fair amount of reuse, including as a criminal in the Police sets. Lego profiling?

THE BUILD

5918472093_50271a46c9_b.jpg

By step 5, we have started constructing the framework of the raft. Don't worry about the red piece allowing the sideways construction, it gets covered up later.

5919032496_35f1f4b673_b.jpg

By step 8, the framework is halfway completed with the insertion of the Technic poles into the round pieces. What the instructions don't tell you straightaway is that you've got to follow steps 1-7 again to create the other half of the raft frame. You then push the two pieces together onto the Technic poles...

5918472151_c0626410a7_b.jpg

... to get this. It's actually a very good, stable base for the rest of the raft, and the use of SNOT is pretty clever.

5918472171_0c034a5c81_z.jpg

Three tan plates are put onto the exposed studs, giving a fitting “boarded” look to the raft. Once those are in place, the rest of the raft can be built up, including another long Technic pole for a mast. This doesn't look too good, I would have liked to have seen yet more 2 x 2 round pieces to make the mast look thicker and sturdier. You can also see the stand for the parrot.

5918472213_175ff9f42c_z.jpg

Here's a shot of the finished build, with all the accessories added, such as the oar, musket and box of gems.

5927795960_9b8eacdda8.jpg

These were the extra pieces – just a claw and a cutlass. I'm counting that as a spare because you are not directed to give it to a minifig or put it on the raft anywhere. It's a good extra piece to have, you can't have too many weapons!

Completed Model:

Let's take a look around the completed raft.

5918472291_6983ab5943_z.jpg

From the back you can see the ladder up to the crow's nest and the oar holder.

5919032706_168f03eb50_z.jpg

From this side you get a good look at the stand for the parrot, and also how ugly the stand for the nest is, with it's three separate colours. That clip piece should really have been tan rather than grey.

5919032752_aa50094700_z.jpg

From this side you can see how the musket clips in to the mast.

5919032778_985955c92b_z.jpg

From this angle you can see how the double-claw contraption holds the oar.

5919032800_c4104effc1_z.jpg

Using a more birds-eye view just to see the gems in the box, which we can just about do.

COMPLETED SET

5918472439_4cf3b1f0c9_b.jpg

Most Lego sets these days have built-in conflicts, and Kraken Attackin' doesn't shy away from this idea. Even the name of the set implies it! Here is the completed set with minifigs placed and the Kraken about to attack.

5918472481_708277b7db_b.jpg

Oh no, the Kraken has grabbed one of the pirates using its tentacles!

5919032928_521c85e52e_z.jpg

His fellow pirate in the crow's nest aims his trusty musket and fires at the beast, hoping not to injure his comrade in arms.

5919032950_eab54ee0af_b.jpg

The Kraken swims off, to seek easier prey. The pirate clambers back on board, having lost his cutlass but not his life. His friend climbs down to help him.

5918472609_9b8d399a2d_b.jpg

All drama finished, the pirates head to shore, one with his faithful parrot, and the other with his faithful booty!

Overall, the raft is a nice, sturdy construction with a fair amount of playability. The minifigs serve their purpose well and it's loaded with accessories. The main letdown is the size of the titular Kraken, who you would imagine to be much more impressive than what's in the set. Let's see how this all breaks down in the totals!

Totals:

Design: 6/10 – The raft is compact and built well, but the Technic piece as a mast makes the whole thing look a bit flimsy. I'm also docking marks for the inclusion of the non-brick-built Kraken in this section too. It's just not impressive enough compared to other non-brick animals such as the alligator in Loot Island.

Parts: 6/10 - There are some nice parts here, like the parrot especially, but generally it's a whole lot of brown and tan pieces. If round 2 x2s float your boat, then feel free to add to this score!

Build: 7/10 – Actually I was impressed with the way the two halves of the raft came together, as mentioned above it's a clever use of SNOT that also has the advantage of being very structurally secure.

Minifigs: 7/10 – Two very solid pirate figures here to either start your collection off or add to it. There weren't many different pirate torsos or faces in the 2009 line, so there is nothing unique here but visually it all works well together as a set.

Playability: 7/10 – Another playable set; although the Kraken is not the most convincing adversary ever, it is nice to have it, even if it's a bit small.

Price: 7/10 – Clearly this set suffers a few compromises for being put into a specific, lower price point. 78 pieces isn't fantastic in terms of price per piece, especially with so many round 2 x 2s, but there are some worthwhile pieces here in terms of weaponry, accessories like the box and gems, and of course the animals, that make this set above average value. I got this on eBay and paid well over the original retail price for it, so I don't personally have as good a feeling about it, but certainly for it's time it doesn't seem a bad deal.

Total: 40/60 – A reasonable starting point for the Pirates line, but nothing really show-stopping. A competent set rather than a very good one, it's not a let down but with a few more pieces and a bigger Kraken it could have been so much more.

I hope you enjoyed this review; the fourth of my series of Reviewers Academy reviews. I would love constructive comments and feedback below.

Great review. I think this set is one of the best small sets of 2009. I'd really like to see similar sets when there are more pirates sets after POTC.

I enjoyed reading that review, I have yet to get any of the newer sets as I am still hunting down the older ones but when I decided to get the newer models this will be high on my list.

Very nice Rumble Strike! My little brother got this set and I must say that wasn't very intrested. Still, all of those 2x2 round brown bricks are great!

I find it much more fun to be able to read this without thinking about grading it in the back of my head.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I have been very pleased with the positive reaction my reviews have had on this board :classic:

Awww Masked, you've consistently been my teacher for my RA reviews so I'm glad you actually like them when they are out "in the wild"!

Excellent review 'Rumble Strike', one of the better 2009 Pirate sets ! :pir-sweet:

The raft is a soild build, yes brick-built not a <insert that tiresome argument> raft piece ! :pir-grin:

Reading this make me want to dig up all the parts and rebuild this set...I might just do that too ! :pir-grin:

Keep on drinking that rum ! :pir-laugh:

Great review!

At the time this set came out I was more focussed on purchasing the similarly priced sets from the Agents and Space Police lines and considered this set one of the weakest sets in the price range though I thought it looked good for pieces and the octopus.

It was a low priority set for me that I told myself I'd pick up if I had some spare cash in my Lego budget after I'd bought the sets I wanted more. I didn't get it in the end but now seeing your review has made me want to pick it up, the pieces are quite useful and after watching the film Waterworld recently I had an idea for a MOC that would involve this...luckily they still have a few of the Pirates sets in my favourite toy shop.

The top of the mast is pretty ugly with the grey clip piece there, maybe it was supposed to suggest that that part of the mast was made out of metal or something?

I also think this set could benefit from the inclusion of a printed pirate flag, like a few of the similar raft sets from the older Pirates range had.

I also enjoyed your little story about the scuffle with the "kraken"....luckily the pirate has a spare cutlass!

Edited by Rocketbilly

I have to admit, when doing the reviews I always like taking the completed sets pics best, playing with it and telling a little story :pir-blush:

Thank you for the kind words, and it's interesting to see that opinions about this set seem to be more positive than mine were overall.