Sign in to follow this  
vgsprites

MOC: SW1500 UP 1194

Hello Everyone,

After over a year of planning, gathering bricks, making decals, and working on it on & off between work and school, I finally finished my first Locomotive MOC. Over a year ago I decided to come out of my dark ages for good and I opened up my box of 9 volt track and saw my 9 volt motor with no loco built on it. I bought some small Lego gift sets that we're on clearance at the time and noticed the main colors were red and yellow. From then on I decided to start small and build a 6-wide EMD SW1500 Union Pacific Switcher.

Without further a do I bring you the finished model. :sweet:

SW1500 UP 1194

up1194_right_front.jpg

up1194_left_front.jpg

up1194_rear.jpg

This is loosely based off of a L Gauge model that I used for guidance. Of course I had to make it my own. :wink:

I shorten the slope of the engine, made a bigger cab, made the cab and engine taller, used SNOT techniques all around, added rails, more lights, and a light bar at the head of the cab.

The rear inverted slope SNOT technique on the rear of the cab I reversed engineered from a SOO SW1500 at a train show in a Brickshelf folder that I saw awhile ago.

Over all I believe it looks more like the real thing with the little details.

I did, however, center the front engine lights versus the off-center front engine lights on the real one.

I did so for good reason...

up1194_front_lighted.jpg

Using PF lights, 9V/PF Cable, and hours upon hours of rebuilding & aligning the fuel tank, wires, and motor. I was able to light this Loco and be able to go through curves and switches.

Now I'm able to do switching at night. :laugh:

A switcher is no good without any cars to move.

So I built 2 to join my fleet of cars from 4563 and my two Octan cars (4537,7939.)

ttx_piggyback_car_with_blue_trailer.jpg

The first is a TTX Piggyback Spine Car that I reversed engineered from (again) a L Gauge model.

I modded the front of the car and made the trailer chassis a plate taller to allow a 3491 3491.gif to be placed so it can be hauled by a 4-wide semi-tractor.

Added the TTX logo and away she goes!

10_wide_container_car_loaded.jpg

The Next car I built is a container car based off the the one in 7939, but this one is built to transport the 6x10 containers.

My first set I bought in years was the 7992 Container Stacker, so to incorporate it in my layout I built this train car.

10_wide_container_car_empty.jpg

As you can see it is a small, simplified version of the one in 7939 but in Green!

I chose green for 3 reasons:

1. It matches 7992 stacker,

2. Not too many green Lego train cars out there,

3. It's my favorite color. :grin:

10_wide_container_car_double_stacked.jpg

In addition to the 2 containers with 7992, I've built two more, and got another yellow one when I obtained the truck from 7994 on eBay.

I slapped a Lego logo on the one from 7994 and put 2 of my own cargo ones on the others.

As you can see they are not as perfect as the official one but close enough for taste. :tongue:

So here are the spoils of my work.

Here's a little history of the reference.

The actual UP 1194 started life as Southern Pacific 2623.

It was repainted during the merger:

up1194_reference.jpg

UP 1194 served for a few more years for Union Pacific before being auctioned offed a few years ago.

Currently, based on online photo evidence, it sits at a scrapping, rebuilding, and releasing yard awaiting it's new fate. :cry_sad:

Sorry for the grainy photos for as I use my Cellphone's camera and then turn around and use the phone as an internet modem for my computer. :laugh:

Bricklink folders when moderated.

Questions and comments welcomed. Thanks for looking and enjoy. :sweet:

Looks really neat, but doesn't the trailer fall off when taking corners? :)

Thanks, surprisingly the trailer stays still at high speeds through the curves.

I guess the studs of the plates keep the tires in check during motion.