Sign in to follow this  
harmacy

9v extension cables?

Hi All, Im playing around with a few layout designs, and have come up with a setup that requires my 9V speed regulator being a fair distance from the track. My question is - Is there a 9V extension cable to connect my regulator (2868b) and the train contacts? (5306c01).

Looking at the PF extension cables (8886 & 8871) on Lego.com and BL, they only go from 9V to PF, or PF to PF, but not 9V to 9V. Any ideas or hints? Cheers.

why not an extension cord to the wall outlet?

The regulator has been incorporated into a brick built hill and is about 50 cm away from the closest piece of track, hence the 9V extension cable. Ive just looked on BL, and found these LINK - Has anyone tested these with regulators? I think these were originally intended for the Technic Control centre....

The regulator has been incorporated into a brick built hill and is about 50 cm away from the closest piece of track, hence the 9V extension cable. Ive just looked on BL, and found these LINK - Has anyone tested these with regulators? I think these were originally intended for the Technic Control centre....

Oh I see. Hmmm that looks like it should work but I have not tried it. I believe it should be compatible.

I've got some of those and they work fine.

Andy

The 9V extension cables you mentioned work fine, just like on any other motor (or Control Centre) :classic:

I would like to see your layout when it is finished :laugh:

Edited by RockeTeK

Looking at the PF extension cables (8886 & 8871) on Lego.com and BL, they only go from 9V to PF, or PF to PF, but not 9V to 9V. Any ideas or hints? Cheers.

You can just use two 9V to PF and maybe a PF to PF in the middle if needed. Connect the PF ends together and the 9V ends to your regulator and track connector. Instant 9V to 9V wire. :wink: That LEGO made the 9V to PF wire is a very nice and useful thing.

I use them all the time. At my Taupo display I use them between the controller on the floor and the track on the display table. If you find a voltage drop on the far side of the track layout you can have two on the controller with one (or more joined together) going to the far side. I also used them from a controller on the floor to the wind turbines on the layout. :sweet:

Only problem with long cables is voltage drop because of resistance inside the cable, and less power to the rails. But doubling the cables (connect them in parallel), cuts the resistance in half.

Otherwise you can make your own cables by cutting one short original extension cable in half and solder, or in other way connect new thicker cable in between.