Sign in to follow this  
Wardancer

[MOC] Crownies Spear-Thrower Regiment

indexed.gif

This is the first time I do this, so excuse any errors.

This is my first MOC as an adult. I tried to recreate the Warhammer high/wood elven spearthrower for my knights army. I am not sure if this is worth a thread, but I need to practice posting things anyway.

While this is in no way a complex or very creative work, I am quite happy with its versatility and small size. I know I will use this simple thing on castle towers, ships, carriages and so on. My wood elves will get a black version I guess, as the space wing part does not come in dark green or reddish brown. I hope to finish an elven spear frigate soon, which will carry a few of these.

For some reason, I built 10 of these, but at the moment I think 5 is enough for my knights army.

So, I hope this works...

5800488834_f20d5bd966.jpg

VLUU L310 W / Samsung L310 W von MWardancer auf Flickr

5799936287_dca514755c.jpg

5800489558_46f7e7e7b5.jpg

5799937079_c7d36acffb.jpg

5799937465_e491c7c281.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Cute little balista! Can I ask for instructions? I would love to mount this on my ogres!

Design is great, but colors...I know white/redare Knights colors, but they looks bad. May I suggest this piece: 41769.gif? It would not change the design, and it would look a lot better!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

This is cool. Do you have any other warhammer type creations? I would like a link to them.

Really dig the shrub design too.

Edited by lego40k

Good to hear that you like it. Mounting it on ogres is an application I never imagined! Feel free to copy and modify it.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture from below which can serve as instruction.

The idea with the brown wing is good, maybe I'll try this for my elves. What I like about the space wing though is that it looks sort of light and elastic.

I am not entirely happy with the string which needs a knot on every end. There are strings with round 1x1 plates at the end, but I did not manage to find one in the proper length yet.

I am working on other Warhammer wood elf oriented mocs and mods, but this may take a while.

Although not functional, I think it's a great design, and those spears are the perfect size.

Design is great, but colors...I know white/redare Knights colors, but they looks bad.

I do not agree at all. There is nothing saying they did not paint the wood to be colored their army colors. I believe this looks fine just the way they are.

Now on an OGRE I agree, too bright would look out of place. :classic:

Excellent weapon designing there 'Wardancer', though a little thought put into it - a firing balista is possible.....just wear safety goggles ! :devil::laugh:

Brick On 'Wardancer'.....and keep on fighting the good fight ! :grin:

Very nicely done Wardancer! I really like this clever idea of a brickbuilt spear-thrower, it really looks to be a great addition to any castle army.

Great design. Looks like it's ready to fire.

Personally, while I usually like the wooden look, I think the matching color scheme works well here. Do you have any red cheese slopes? I think it would look sharp to lay the front of the spear between two of them, angling it up slightly.

This should show how its made:

5806200756_78aec16850.jpg

unten von MWardancer auf Flickr

I tried it with the cheese slopes in front, but it looks a bit to heavy for my taste.

The original high elven ballista shoots 4 spears at the same time, maybe this is worth a try.

correct me if I'm wrong, but this weapon is a kind of roman scorpion.

and by the way, welcome back from your dark age :laugh: