Gabe

My surfer vig

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This was a quick build i made for the new series 4 surfer... i've been wanting to make a decent wave out of slopes for ages, but have lacked the parts in the right colours until recently. I'm pretty happy that i managed to get some discoloured blue slopes on Bricklink a while back, i think they add more nuanced shading to the water surface.

surfergirl1rseb_110518.jpg

I have a few more viewpoints on my Brickshelf.

Cheers and thanks for looking! :classic:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

That looks really great! I agree with the discolored bricks, they work perfectly.

Very impressive brickbuilt wave, I particularly like the various sizes and colors of the pieces used, as they collectively provide an effective brickbuilt rendition of a water wave with some realistic details. Well done gabe! :thumbup:

This is fantastic. One of the best textured waves I've seen. I like your concept for the wedges rather than the usual hinged plates to create the curve. The colour combinations add a nice bit of realism, and the "wake" of the surf board is also excellent.

That's excellent, Gabe! I agree that the different shades and sizes really add to this great piece of work. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

Nice! There have been a lot of waves lately; yours is up there with the best :thumbup:

I'll get all these indexed this weekend. :blush:

Thanks everyone for yr kind comments. :classic: This vig was also a bit of a small test of sorts, i'm planning to scale it up later for a more extensive ocean/coastline dio. I'm going to have to go shopping for a stack more bricks before i do that though!

Nice! I wonder if the upper part of the wave might be a bit dark though. would it look better if it had lighter blue bricks or more trans bricks? I think the lower part works with solid colours and the mix but whenever I see film of surfers the wave seems more glassy and lighter than the main body of sea. Just a thought. :classic:

Nice! I wonder if the upper part of the wave might be a bit dark though. would it look better if it had lighter blue bricks or more trans bricks? I think the lower part works with solid colours and the mix but whenever I see film of surfers the wave seems more glassy and lighter than the main body of sea. Just a thought. :classic:

Good point. It does depend on the type of wave though. Churned up or wind affected waves are more opaque, as are thicker swells. Also, that tranlucent effect is often dependant on high sunlight - you wouldn't necaccerily expect it in a storm at sea for instance. As to the practical considerations, inverted slope bricks don't come in trans-blue, and i am iffy about the transition between medium blue and trans dark blue as a gradation. :sceptic: So solutions using slopes could be quite challenging. I expect that i'll have a play around with different colour combos though, just to check it out. :classic:

Edited by gabe