This is a model of a navy helicopter. I tried to make it as close to the real model as possible buy using SNOT extensively.

The color scheme is black, it's a kinda special ops version, not a navy one (which is gray).

Here's some pictures:

ch53-01.png

ch53-02.png

The gray plates on the rotor are the old technic plates 2719.gif, but they're not in LDD, so i used 2 studs shorter plates. The main reason for those plates is that they are rounded so they can go further to the center of the rotor.

ch53-03.png

ch53-04.png

There's a small hatch on each side at the back, which enables to open the ramp:

ch53-05.png

Troopers inside:

ch53-08.png

The troopers can be removed...

ch53-10.png

... which leaves quite some place for the small battery box (train one), IR receiver and 2x3 soldiers.

ch53-09.png

Some functionalities:

- M-motor, that runs both rotors:

ch53-11.png

- insides with the minifigs:

ch53-07.png

- retractable wheels, which we can raise/drop with the Z12 gear at the bottom back. A small half Z12 is missing on the main wheels since i had some problems with the axle rotation. The weight on the front wheel should block the rear wheels from raising (at least in theory). It also rotates a bit more then the rear ones to fully retract (that's why there's a 20:12 ratio in there):

ch53-12.png

Here's the LDD file, thoroughly grouped:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bpavsic/MyMOCs/CH-53E/ch53.lxf

Amazing LDD design Bojan! Not only is this helicopter looking good, it's nice to see the functionalities incorporated in the design (motor functions, opening hatch, retractable wheels). And thanks for sharing the LXF, this will be a great addition to the LDD MOC Index. :thumbup:

I'm always amazed at the Technic and SNOT work that people are able to coax out of LDD. The shaping on the back end is especially nice.

@Brickdoctor

Snot is really easy... The only problem that i found using LDD is minor (usually unnoticed) offsets and after half model, you find out, that something doesn't go together. The other thing is HingeAlign... Never use it, only Hinge and i always calculate the angles with a calculator & paper.

Btw, that helicopter is nothing... I can't imagine making my WIP supercar for a local LUG competition without LDD.

Snot is really easy... The only problem that i found using LDD is minor (usually unnoticed) offsets and after half model, you find out, that something doesn't go together. The other thing is HingeAlign... Never use it, only Hinge and i always calculate the angles with a calculator & paper.

Btw, that helicopter is nothing... I can't imagine making my WIP supercar for a local LUG competition without LDD.

Ah. I love using SNOT in physical MOCs, but I'm just horrible at it in LDD. Too many illegal methods in my building style. :blush:

Absolutely great work Bojan. I particularly like how you disected the motor and drive shafts. Another ultimate cool feature of LEGO Cad :classic:

Hehe, i just did that for everyone to see, how the thing works. I did use a little trick thou :D

The rear rotor is not actually connected to the main one in LDD. Since the height of the long axle leading to the front rotor is a little bit offset (1/2 of a plate), i couldn't connect the two axles with an axle connector (if you check the LDD file, you'll see what i mean). In real bricks, that wouldn't be a bit problem thou, that's why i didn't bother to fix it.

I took the screenshot so that one of the main rotor blades covers that part, so it isn't seen :)

Btw, all part colors are checked with LDD manager, so it's buildable in this color. (only the minifigs aren't... but they're in there just for show anyways).

When i'll have some time, i'll recolor it to make an LBG/DBG/Black version to see how it'd look.

Edited by Bojan Pavsic

When i'll have some time, i'll recolor it to make an LBG/DBG/Black version to see how it'd look.

And yet another cool feature of LEGO Cad. :classic:

I have some issues with the accuracy of the model, Bojan. You've missed a few things. The real CH-53E has a seven-bladed rotor! (Not easy to pull off in real bricks, perhaps impossible to pull off in LDD). Your model also seems to lack the third engine.

You can see it in this picture

150524750_df74bc8502.jpg

JSOH Air Show 2006 114 - CH-53E by terpkristin, on Flickr

Then there's the colour scheme. I'm not sure whether it is simply artistic license or the limited parts palette, but Super Stallions aren't black. The US Navy used to have some (since retired and replaced by MH-53E Sea Dragons) that were dark grey, but most (operated by the USMC) are a much lighter shade of grey with a somewhat bluish tinge on top. I reckon that actually looks nicer than all black. Finally, the troop seats on the rear helicopter run along the sides of the fuselage with the troops facing inward.

That said, I think the overall shaping is really good, with the canted tail and the forward tilt of the rotor, for instance.

I am always impressed that people have the patience to build something this complicated on their computers, I certainly couldn't! The functionality is impressive too.

Cheers,

Ralph

Yes, i know about the third motor. The thing is that i started to create a CH-53 Sea Stallion (which has 6 bladed rotor and 2 engines). Since i only used a couple of pictures found on google by searching "CH-53", it found pictures of CH-53E too. I liked the tail of the E version (the titled one), so i made that one (at that time i didn't really know that there's multiple versions of CH-53). Basicly the model is CH-53 (without the E) but with the "E" tail.

I'm not really into aircraft and military stuff (that's why i mixed up the Sea and Super stallion...), but a friend wanted to convert the 7738 (Coast Guard heli) into a special ops version and wanted to repaint the back section and all those parts from the OOB into black (since they're only in orange). I'm more "purist" type builder, so i created this one (after his advice to look at some CH-53 photos).

Yes, i know about the third motor. The thing is that i started to create a CH-53 Sea Stallion (which has 6 bladed rotor and 2 engines). Since i only used a couple of pictures found on google by searching "CH-53", it found pictures of CH-53E too. I liked the tail of the E version (the titled one), so i made that one (at that time i didn't really know that there's multiple versions of CH-53). Basicly the model is CH-53 (without the E) but with the "E" tail.

I'm not really into aircraft and military stuff (that's why i mixed up the Sea and Super stallion...), but a friend wanted to convert the 7738 (Coast Guard heli) into a special ops version and wanted to repaint the back section and all those parts from the OOB into black (since they're only in orange). I'm more "purist" type builder, so i created this one (after his advice to look at some CH-53 photos).

I'm a bit fussy about helicopters myself, so when I see Super Stallion, there are certain things I expect. Looking at it again I also see a few features of the MH-53 Pave Low. I built one of those myself.

2507472957_fa58f0e8da.jpg

MH-53M Pave Low (19) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Your model is a nice helicopter and certainly far better than painting LEGO!

Cheers,

Ralph

Very nice, has a lot more details then mine. Well, tbh, i was more focusing on the technic features (as i am more in the technic department) then on the looks, but next time, i'll put much more focus on that too. It was sort of a "turn off thinking between programming" thing, just to relax a bit :) At first wasn't really thinking of publishing it at all...