Sign in to follow this  
Nieks

D2C Contest: Treasure hunt on the river Nile

This is my entry for the D2C Contest:

5648277163_e3fcb282e0_b.jpg

TREASURE HUNT ON THE RIVER NILE

Theme: Pharaoh’s Quest

As they going down the Nile, more and more treasures are found. The further their trusted paddle boat brings them.., more mystical creatures of Egypt come along! Since they entered the Nile, a big crocodile named Slim follows every move they make.

The paddle boat they are travelling with is the 'Cairo Queen', named after the city where it's build. This boat is made for adventure, and will find it on it's way!

The set includes: Paddle boat, motorcycle, 6 minifigs, crocodile and a lot of cargo.

About the build:

I had the idea to build a vehicle for the Pharaoh’s Quest theme, but I didn't know what to make? So I was surfing on the internet to find some typical Egypt transportation, and found the paddle boat. It was hard to find a good example, cause all the good photo's I found where from typical tourist paddle boats. After a long search I found some old drawings and together with some new photo's I started to sketch, so this Paddle boat is inspired by the original River Nile boats, but is completely made up!

The boat measures 83 studs long, 18 studs wide (30 studs with the wheels), and 28 studs high. The colours I used are: Black, white, tan, dark red, brown, grey and dark grey.

5648277405_a91f955b5e_b.jpg

5648277553_395a6758a9_b.jpg

5648841216_10e3bfa446_b.jpg

5648841292_3e1b8703be_b.jpg

5648277349_243c4b87f1_b.jpg

For more pics see my Flickr page

Edited by Nieks

Great entry !

I was waiting for a ship/boat entry and this does not fail to impress.

One thing it seems to be missing is Mummies or bad guys , I don't think old Slim is much of a match for that 50 cal machine gun.default_tong.gif

Again great entry and good luck default_thumbup.gif

yes Nieks !

Happy you've found time to finish your project !

Your entry is very original and so well done !

The Space beetween the brown tile is delicious one more time !

Your color scheme is masterized and technics aregreat !

Good luck and happy to meet you again on a contest ;)

Really nice, I like the beds and that grandfather clock in the boat. It's nice how you've included so many colors without it being an eyesore, the minute amounts of tan and dark blue come off nicely.

Do you happen to have more pictures or the interior? And how many pieces were made to make this?

Wondering what seller you bought from Bricklink for all those tiles? I could use some. ^_^

Very impressive ship build! I love the overall SNOT finish and the pretty neat interior details. Great job Nieks and good luck with this entry! :thumbup:

Lovely entry, but I feel like it needs some bad guys! The boat is well-designed, but there's nothing specific in the set for the heroes to be doing. Even boats in the City theme tend to have some form of action-- if they're a fire boat, they can have water cannons for fighting fires, if they're a police boat there can be a criminal to pursue, and if it's a fishing boat there can be a fishing pole with fish or a shark. In an action theme, it's especially important that there be some sort of action going on, but here most everyone is either relaxing or operating the boat, and the only possible adversary is that crocodile.

I love all the details including the smokestack and the texture of the deck. But the overall emotions evoked by this set don't feel a lot like Pharaoh's Quest.

This is a work of art, a masterpiece. Many people seem to think that these entries need more action because they are in action themes, but before that they are direct to customer sets, which are aimed at older audiences. Wth the contest nearing a close, I feel like the focus on designing a realistic set that could actually have a high chance of being sold as a Lego product is being ignored in favor of what the older audience (us AFOLs) would want to see being sold. Great job, it seems like a wonderful size for a direct set.

Jaw-dropping entry, Nieks!

I think this is a really creative entry. Who would've thought to have a steamboat (on the Nile) in a desert theme? The ship is very cool, and not too complicated or detailed. The ability to remove the upper deck is neat, and all of the minifigures are great for this scene.

Good luck in the competition!

Thnxz for all the great comments!

yes Nieks !

Happy you've found time to finish your project !

Your entry is very original and so well done !

The Space beetween the brown tile is delicious one more time !

Your color scheme is masterized and technics aregreat !

Good luck and happy to meet you again on a contest ;)

Thnxz Lego-maniac... I had some time the last few days, so I taught why not finish the paddle boat? I really like this contest, there are some very good entries! We'll see!

Really nice, I like the beds and that grandfather clock in the boat. It's nice how you've included so many colors without it being an eyesore, the minute amounts of tan and dark blue come off nicely.

Do you happen to have more pictures or the interior? And how many pieces were made to make this?

Wondering what seller you bought from Bricklink for all those tiles? I could use some. ^_^

I have one more pic of the interior as you can see on Flickr maye I post some more pics later. I don't now how many pieces I used, when I have the time and I'm bored I will count them. And about your Bricklink Question: I didn't order anything for this build (I never ordered anthing at Bricklink our Shop@home)! Some of the pieces I used for this build, come from sets, but most of my pieces come from the Pick a Brick wall at the Legostore in Oberhausen / Germany ( a 2 hour dive).

Lovely entry, but I feel like it needs some bad guys! The boat is well-designed, but there's nothing specific in the set for the heroes to be doing. Even boats in the City theme tend to have some form of action-- if they're a fire boat, they can have water cannons for fighting fires, if they're a police boat there can be a criminal to pursue, and if it's a fishing boat there can be a fishing pole with fish or a shark. In an action theme, it's especially important that there be some sort of action going on, but here most everyone is either relaxing or operating the boat, and the only possible adversary is that crocodile.

I love all the details including the smokestack and the texture of the deck. But the overall emotions evoked by this set don't feel a lot like Pharaoh's Quest.

Thanxz for your comment! I think you're right on the fact that there isn't a lot of action in these photographs. But I think this build is suitable for an action theme like Pharao's Quest. The boat looks though and weathered, his Pantsered paddle's will find I way trough every barricade.... At the pictures U see a Treasure, mummy and Antiques at the deck of the ship. These are rarities the crew captured during there trips with the Cairo Queen.