Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

Review - SW Miniland at Legoland Billund

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Here´s the first in a series of short reviews from the scenes at the Star Wars Miniland in Legoland Billund. The setup is supposed to be the same in all Legland´s around the world, so for more background information read this post and this post!

SW EPI The Phantom Menace – Naboo

Naboo is one of the most geographically varied planets in the Star Wars galaxy. These scenes depict the Battle of Naboo and the capital Threed – both the Royal Palace and the hangar. Part of the scene also shows the duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sith apprentice Darth Maul.

First an overall video:

The Royal Palace:

gallery_148_140_265742.jpg

gallery_148_140_277415.jpg

gallery_148_140_114198.jpg

gallery_148_140_329182.jpg

gallery_148_140_173705.jpg

gallery_148_140_221347.jpg

The hangar:

gallery_148_140_213069.jpg

gallery_148_140_90168.jpg

and a video of the hangar action :laugh::

to be continued below .........

The Gungans stormes down the hill to repel the attack by the droid army:

gallery_148_140_189063.jpg

gallery_148_140_81898.jpg

gallery_148_140_55235.jpg

gallery_148_140_18038.jpg

R2-D2 and C-3PO watches from the Palace wall:

gallery_148_140_74191.jpg

The droid army is on the move:

gallery_148_140_20417.jpg

gallery_148_140_152145.jpg

gallery_148_140_318685.jpg

and a video of the unloading of battle droids:

Hope you enjoyed it. I´ll save my feedback on the SW Miniland until my last review, so stay tuned!

Thanks for this, Cop Mike! The setup does look a lot like the pics we've seen from LLC, but it's always nice to see more pics, and this is the first time I've seen the MTT and N1 in action. I think the ground battle setup might be a little different from LLC's.

On another note, R2's head looks monstrously ugly in the N1 socket.

Edited by Brickdoctor

That's my thought exactly. I'm not that impressed with the N-1 anyway, It doesn't translate well in this blocky scale. It's too big and Blocky.

That MTT is gorgeous though.

That's my thought exactly. I'm not that impressed with the N-1 anyway, It doesn't translate well in this blocky scale. It's too big and Blocky.

Yes, as I said in the other thread.

That MTT is gorgeous though.

Indeed.

The Theed Royal Palace is definitely the highlight for me on this Naboo set-up. It's just a shame there's the ginormous N-1 on the hangar (it should be smaller right?). The various Miniland built elements of the Battle of Naboo are well done - from the Gungans, B1s, to the MTTs, AATs, creatures. I just wish they were posed a little bit better rather than having a close stand-off.

It's just a shame there's the ginormous N-1 on the hangar (it should be smaller right?).

It's looks a little oversized, but that might just be an undersizing of the hangar. In any case, there's so much wrong with the N1 that the right scale wouldn't really help it that much.

The Theed Royal Palace is definitely the highlight for me on this Naboo set-up. It's just a shame there's the ginormous N-1 on the hangar (it should be smaller right?).

I think the palace is built to minifigure scale or something. There was a picture of a different LEGOland exhibit in the other thread where they had a 7141 in there, and the scale looked much better.

On the other hand, just look at that MTT... the construction is amazing. It's a shame LEGO doesn't try and market these display pieces...

*huh* this is quite good.

:laugh:

No its incredible, though the astromec in the N-1 looks stupid, and C3PO shouldn't have the gold plating on yet.

I also agree those MTT's are amazing. TLG should collect together all the builds like this and sell them online to AFOL's, like super UCS sets.

Thanks 'Copmike' for this images, man....that's a cool display and the Seperatist forces look totally AWESOME ! :grin:

May the brick be with you always ! :grin:

Yea it really does.

Personally I would love if the palace was to miniland scale.

The MTT and ATT are also pretty awesome! :tongue:

...TLG should collect together all the builds like this and sell them online to AFOL's, like super UCS sets.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the idea of a 'super' UCS set just scares the bejeezus outta me! I need room in the house to sleep after all...

Thanks CopMike, these images are great!

C3PO shouldn't have the gold plating on yet.

Well actually he shouldn't be there at all. He's still stuck on Tatooine. Edited by Brickdoctor

Thanks for the pictures Copmike.

Take a look at the roofs of the palace:

gallery_148_140_277415.jpg

Usually when you build this kind of model, you render the model on a computer and then let the computer tell you where to put the bricks. It seems like they have used very few polygons when building the roofs of the palace. You can clearly see large flat areas (polygons), while the "real" palace has nicely rounded roofs.

Compare it to this building:

3270263214_dae090b2f1.jpg

Here you can see a nicely rounded small roof, while the larger roof only has very small polygons, which you can barely see.

Has LEGOLAND been slacking off with the SW display? The interior of the MF cockpit isn't built and there are some large cracks where some building are put together. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Lasse D

Has LEGOLAND been slacking off with the SW display? The interior of the MF cockpit isn't built and there are some large cracks where some building are put together. :hmpf_bad:

Remembering what marshal_banana said about the sparseness of the Echo Base display as well as quality of the miniland builds compared to the 4-foot LEGO canoe, I'm tempted to think so. :sceptic: But whatever - let's all remember that The Clone Wars is what it's been all about lately and at least look forward to that scene...

Usually when you build this kind of model, you render the model on a computer and then let the computer tell you where to put the bricks. It seems like they have used very few polygons when building the roofs of the palace. You can clearly see large flat areas (polygons), while the "real" palace has nicely rounded roofs.

Compare it to this building:

[snip]

Here you can see a nicely rounded small roof, while the larger roof only has very small polygons, which you can barely see.

You're right. I wonder if they got off to a late start and had to hurry in time for the opening or something.

Went to the Windsor Legoland yesterday. The StarWars exhibit was excellent but its a shame that its housed indoors with rather poor lighting and the camera on my phone just wasnt up to the task.

Until I read this thread, it never occured to me that the buildings werent fully domed (were they actually fully domed in the film or perhaps a third or quarter sphere etc)..it didnt make any difference to me, the exhibit was great :)

Would like to see some LXF files on those puppies - especially the Millenium Falcon that was approx 4ft diameter :)

I visited LegoLand Malaysia at last year.The LegoLand Malaysia also have Star Wars miniland like this in the park,but the models are placed indoor.I prefer to put these models indoor,because the extreme weather may damage the bricks and the structure of the model.

Edited by ArmstrongYong