Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Gargoyle Bridge Pic Review

Looming out of the mysterious waters of Mistland, Gargoyle Bridge stands as the last pass to the great tower. Fortified with two swinging axes, can Sir Adric avoid the trap before passing through the gate of death?

Knights Kingdom (KK) Gargoyle Bridge, set 8822, is part of the newest KK trio of sets including Rogue Knight Battleship (8821) and Mistlands Tower (8823). These new KK sets seem to have a darker feel to them as previous KK sets (with the exception of the Vladek collection: Dark Fortress and Prison Cave). And they seem more mysterious to me.

Gargoyle Bridge has 250 pieces and is priced at $29.99 (USD).

A shot of the front of the box. The art work is very nice. This set somewhat resembles Border Ambush being another KK bridge.

01-boxfront.jpg

And the back of the box:

02-boxback.jpg

This set includes three figs: Sir Adric, Karzon (Rogue knight leader) and another rogue knight. They are definately much better then previous KK figs as they have the metalic plated armor. What I'm not real fond of is the weapons that include a nice axe, basic black spear, and a mace. The shields have a much improved look (no silly animals) but the small one is gold. Seems to stand out. I like the snake shield.

03-figs1.jpg

A close-up of the metalic armor:

04-figs2.jpg

Before building the battering ram, I thought it would be silly; but actually, it looks pretty good:

05-batteringramwhole.jpg

The "ram section" has a mechanism to turn it causing the ram to slide forward or backward:

06-batteringramtop.jpg

The ram itself is a hard metalic mask piece much darder than previous Bionicle/Large Knight pieces. Lego should use this design for a mini-fig mask/helmet:

07-batteringramfront.jpg

Now for the bridge. It is rather sturdy standing on four green/grey NSBURPs (not so big ugly rock pieces). In fact, I like these squarish NSBURPS, esp. with this color combination. The trim roof slopes in gold look pretty good.

08-bridge.jpg

A close up of the NSBURPS:

13-base.jpg

Two gargoyle heads serve as guardians of the bridge. The head lifts up giving the appearance that the mouth opens. The gargoyle head pieces are made out of the cheaper plastic:

09-gargoyle.jpg

Two swinging axes rest atop the tower structure. The plastic is much better than that of previouse large pieces:

10-axes.jpg

The mechanism uses two chains to pull the axes upward:

11-axemechanism.jpg

Another shot from the top:

12-axemechanism2.jpg

The portculis is nice but has no lock or chains to lock it:

14-portculis.jpg

Attached to each side of the main bridge are the slanting sections. These are 6x16 stud plates. Three are included in the set. The third is used in the middle section and can fall inward by pulling a rod.

15-slope.jpg

And a shot of the whole set:

17-whole2.jpg

Slightly different angle:

18-whole3.jpg

Summary:

I enjoyed building this set as it was not too easy and offered a few advanced building techniques (mainly the mechanisms). The set is pretty sturdy and the tower section not badly done. The set provides many arches and plates, but as with all the new sets, not to many standard bricks (1x 2s, 4s, 6s, and 8s). The set would probably make a nice compliment to Mistlands Tower as depicted in some images. Gargoyle Bridge is definately a notch above other KK sets but still not Classic Castle. It still offers some nice pieces though and doesn't look bad (although as seen is the last image, the slope is a bit steep on both sides for those poor mini-figs who have to push up the battling ram). The set does seem to be missing some accessories, like a flag or decoration on the battering ram and some treasure (gems, treasure chest, gold, etc.). Overall though, I like this set and would buy it again.

I've been seriously debating picking this one up... I'm not into the mechanisms and am quite sick of arches, but the figures look good. May wait until there is a sale...

Steve

Your review really surprised me. I didn't know that there could be advanced techniques in this building, it looks so basic. COuld you please post a pic of Sir Adric without his helmet?

Well, let me just say that it doesn't use techniques like the Santa Fe Super Chief (SNOT building), but it does have some Technic pieces. This is what I'm getting at. I would say it's at the lower medium to medium level in complexity. I enjoy not having to spend hours building a set and this was a fun build.

Here's a shot of Adric without helmet. Good face:

adric.jpg

Thanks for the pic ;-) . That's a cool head he has, it looks a bit like Viktor Krum (the dude from HP4).

Many thanks Brickster for sharing this great review !!

For me, KK sets are really getting WAY better over time (figs, accessories, parts...) but I still see them as a a great parts pack !!

We need those since that stupid colour change :-D We need more of those BURPs, LURPs and the mini LURPs likre in this set :-D

Also TLC did a great job with mixing colour, I thinks it add a certain dimension to those parts *y*

Could you please tell me what colour are the legs and torso of those rogue knights please ;-) From the pics it looks like Sand Blue 8-

I bought the whole rogue knight package thing off S&H. The legs are a sand blue color. Also, I thought it was kind of cool how the armor has bronze speckles instead of the usual silver speckles that we got with the Vikings.

Good review Brickster! I am glad that I am not the only one who likes this set.

It looks awesome when connected to Mistlands Tower. Look here.

The Rouge Knights' torsos are black, Yoda.

It looks awesome when connected to Mistlands Tower. Look here.

Definately fits nicely with the tower. The tower almost has a "Fright Night" or "spooky" look to it. I'm not sure if I'm real fond of the tower. The Citadel of Orlan looks like a better set. What's wrong with all these KK sets is they're too hollow and they have large single pieces at higher levels. It takes away the whole castle wall look needed to make them look like a castle.

And not to complain, but what on earth is at the top of Mistlands Tower? It looks like something out of a space theme. This is what really takes away from the quality of the deign.

In regard to this set though, I like it, and it does have some very useful pieces. This set sells for $30 in the US, not sure the value in Europe. I like the $20 - $30 price range as they offer a good value- at least to me. Not sure if I'll buy the tower although they definately go together well. I really don't like the look of the battleship though with the yellow wings. The boat needs real sails.

The Citadel of Orlan looks like a better set.

Don't get the Citadel. It is pure crud.

And not to complain, but what on earth is at the top of Mistlands Tower?

It is supposed to be a big magic orb. Vladek gets imprisoned inside of it at the end of this year's story.

Pfft...I'll just get all three reduced. This set's not as simple as I thought.

The Citadel of Orlan looks like a better set.

Don't get the Citadel. It is pure crud.

I've got it, bought it last year on clearance. I don't think it's a bad set at all. Definately not classic, but not bad.

That head does look good... Thanks for posting it Brickster!

God Bless,

Nathan

Nice review Brickster! *y*

This set looks a lot better then I first thought it did, but I still don't really like it. I doubt I will buy it, unless I see it on sale some where.