Sign in to follow this  
Sir Jayko

D2C Contest: Ninjago Dragon Ice Explorer

D.I.E. (Dragon Ice Explorer) is LEGO Ninjago MOC with Power Functions XL-Motors, Led-lights and Remote IR Receiver/Controller. The minifig is Zane in dragon suit.

5514626673_d29798a7de_z.jpg

Ninjago D.I.E. (Dragon Ice Explorer) by ς↑r ĴΛϒκ❂, on Flickr

5515219666_edee1b79c5.jpg

5514626153_0e122959d5_z.jpg

Edited by Sir Jayko

That's a pretty radical build Sir Jayko, which is just perfect for the wild theme of NinjaGo. Great to know also the incorporated motorized functions, lights, and remote control capability on this MOC. Nice work! :thumbup:

That's a pretty radical build Sir Jayko, which is just perfect for the wild theme of NinjaGo. Great to know also the incorporated motorized functions, lights, and remote control capability on this MOC. Nice work! :thumbup:

Thank you KielDaMan! Thinking outside the LEGO box is characteristic of my MOCs and fav themes/sets, so Ninjago seemed like an ideal choice for me. There is often a slight trade-off between fun and functionality, but I try my best.

Edited by Sir Jayko

Nice build - it looks massive *oh2* ! Would it be possible to see a short moving where you use all your PF things?!

Nice build - it looks massive *oh2* ! Would it be possible to see a short moving where you use all your PF things?!

Thanks! Unfortunately the video shooting failed, and I've been too busy to do another one so far.

I could definitely see TLC releasing something like this for NinjaGo!

It stays true to the theme and I like the use of NinjaGo! bricks.

Maybe you should add a little skeleton vehicle or something since most NinjaGo! sets have one.

Also the photography is really great, and the snow really adds to the professional look of the set.

I don't know, this looks kinda too random for me. Sure, Ninjago is a very random theme, but not this random. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be. A vehicle with dragon features? A dragon with a vehicle base? Some backstory would be useful. And I agree with CopMike that it would make it much easier for us to judge this creation with a video. You still have five weeks to make one, so hopefully you will get around to it. Good luck!

Thank you all for excellent comments, your constructive suggestions are really appreciated. Obviously my photos can't show how D.I.E. moves and spins around when you play with it. After all, mastering the art of Spinjitzu is an essential feature of Ninjago action.

Dragon Ice Explorer is designed to be an exclusive motorized set for ultimate Spinjitzu. The Power Functions Remote Controller (not shown) allows you to drive separately two powerful motors, which directly turn the two big wheels forwards or backwards. This is an exclusive D2C set and not a Technic set, so there are no gears or any complex Technic functions. Whenever you drive the wheels in opposite directions, the vehicle will spin wildly around, but it stays in place. This feature works on any normal floor, it really doesn't have to be on ice or snow.

Hey, who knows if if enough EBers vote for this set, maybe it will catch the attention of TLG executives and something like this could become a real set! Now wouldn't that be cool, then we could have a proper animated video produced, for example something like

Actually I can already see the script in my mind: first there is the Ninjago logo and the voice "New from LEGO NINJAGO". The action begins with Zane (Ninja of Ice) running away from Lord Garmadon's evil Skeleton army. Then we would see a fast forward video of how D.I.E. is built, with the voice saying "Build Dragon Ice Explorer and fight back". Zane hops on D.I.E. to attack against the enemy, who realise it's a trap, but too late! Zane makes D.I.E. spin around, while throwing Shurikens (his weapon of choice). Now the enemy is scared and tries to escape, but "Zane freezes the enemy using the Dragon's icy breath". Here video shows the dragon shooting the icy blue ball from its mouth and knocking over a few Skeletons. Finally Zane drives over the frozen enemy army, crashing them like an avalanche. Cut to a photo of various new Ninjago sets, including D.I.E. "New LEGO NINJAGO playsets. Each set sold separately." The final cut: Ice Dragon roars one more time.

Edited by Sir Jayko

Ooh, nice! I'm not quite sure what that's meant to be (a futuristic dragon-vehicle hybrid?), but it looks great.

The bottom parts (the red and black) fit the overall aesthetic of the Ninjago theme, I think. :classic: