henryhotspurs

Loco from 7939. Is it modelled after a real engine?

A colocscheme of this

With a model like this, and this

But as far as I know it's not modelled after just one locomotive, but it's probaly German, because in that country Lego trains sell very well, so it would be more appealing for people to buy a Lego train they also see in real life. And because the other trains (7938-Bombardier Talent, 7897-ICE) also were made after German trains.

Edited by Brickviller

All great suggestions. Aside from the livery I think the TRAXX Famile F140 AC1 (Deutsche Bahn AG Class 185) looks like the closest loco to the kit. The grab handles, bevelled roof and venting looks pretty close from what I can see.

Yeah, unless its a licensed set like SF, BNSF, or Maersk, all other trains are not designed after specific trains. They only take cues from them (only because they have to make it look like a locomotive) The guy from TLG in this video http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52459 explained a little about the difference between the designing a replica vs. a regular train set :classic:

I've always thought it looked a lot like a DB Class 218 mostly because of the cab, though it's a diesel, and I'm not sure it's ever been in a yellow colour scheme.

I've always thought it looked a lot like a DB Class 218 mostly because of the cab, though it's a diesel, and I'm not sure it's ever been in a yellow colour scheme.

It looks indeed like that train... i have also built the 7939 loco in red...that looks even better... see my link to flickr:

Brandnew Red Lego Loc 7939

Motorized red Lego engine 7939

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

I don't think Lego was aiming for one particular engine, but I find it is closest to a BR Class 92 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_92).

Why a class 92? apart from the fact that it is electric and has two cabs, its pretty much unlike it. not enough wheels, wrong shape and wrong colour!

I thought a DB 218 too, but one sold to H F Wiebe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbs478/5476526594/in/pool-v160

Just remove the pantograph!

Edited by talltim

Definately not a Class 92 I'm afraid.

92s don't have the 'wrap around' cab effect. The 92 in fact is the electric version of the class 60- albeit with improved front end styling.

Definately not a Class 92 I'm afraid.

92s don't have the 'wrap around' cab effect. The 92 in fact is the electric version of the class 60- albeit with improved front end styling.

I'm converted. I agree with the poster who voted for the Deutsche Bahn AG Class 185.