Sign in to follow this  
Geertos13

WINTER BREAK : Honeydukes

Hello Fellow Eurobricks Members !

Yes, I know, I have already made an entry, but I'm proud to announce that I made another one. No, I did not forget the "one entry per member" rule, and I already contacted the MODs asking them to delete the old Three Broomsticks, and I already cleared the Topic and it is now empty.

So, after many desperate ideas, St Mungo's Hospital, The Leaky Cauldron and even publishing my Three Broomsticks, I decided to give Honeydukes a go !

Obviously this is my best attempt yet, and one of my best creations if I may say so myself. First of all, this Creation is quite big, but LDD helped me keeping it under the 1000 bricks limit.

Here it is : HONEYDUKES !

DESCRIPTION

Honeydukes is one of the famous attractions in Hogsmeade. It is a sweet shop famous for its chocolate and many wonderfully wild sweets. It also houses the entrance to a secret passageway to Hogwarts. When Harry Potter wasn't able to go to Hogsmeade, Fred and George Weasley gave him the Marauder's Map, which showed Harry the location of a secret passage between Hogwarts and the basement of Honeydukes. It is loved by teachers and students alike.

Harry Potter wiki

Now on to the creation,

THE OUTSIDE

5377243849_2670f16bd9_b.jpg

Before continuning I'd like to add that for me, the White Background isn't real photoshopping. I placed my Set on a white background but it turned out grey, so I selected the grey bits and made them brighter, that is only Color Correction after all. Correct me if I'm wrong Hinck :wink:

The Outside has a nice and warm feeling to it. The Lovely Brown and Tan colors, the small windows, the SIDE DOOOR !!! :wub:

And much more, make this creation a little beaty. The Multicolor HoneyDukes sign is a nice but simple touch to the building.

respecting your ( Yes you Oky Wan :wink: ) requests, I decided to give that cellar idea a go. I think it does indeed look better but it's your opinion that is important to me ! I have tried my best to furfill your requests. After all, "The Eurobricks member is king" :laugh:

I've put some BURPs under the house ( that requested a lot of breacking down, replacing pieces and so on... )and put some snow in front of it, The snow suddenly break off at the stairs in the left, but that's because of the 1000 pieces limit and that it kinda fits in a holde street so the building next to it would be glueded next to Honeydukes, so that snow would be on one regular line.

EDIT : I've listened to your requests, and I added, a step, overlapped the roof, destroyed the cut-off corned so that the side was slightly overlapped and I took off the Unfitting Christmas Lights. Not to mentionned I made the Sign a tiny bit Bigger.

Well, because You have been very nice by giving positive and nice Comments, I have decided to show you the inside :wink:

5377843256_78f7987f8d_z.jpg

TADA !! What do you think ? Sweet isn't it ? :wub:

Or do you think it's particulary ugly ? :sad:

Tell me what you think in the comments.

CLOSE-UPS

5377243769_7055528358_z.jpg

5377243141_fee28250ae_z.jpg

5377244455_00cbd6c3b2_z.jpg

So, as you suggested, Cellar + More candy !

Oh and Clone O'Patra, It actually isn't a giant lollipop. It is a big dish with warm "lollipop" water. It is like Chocolate Fondue, you put your Lollipop Stick into the substance and it creates a wonderfull and warm, deliciously flavoured lollipop !

I have posted my five images, but do you want more ?

Check out other close-ups, outside shots, and old versions of the building on my

C&C appreciated,

Greetings,

Geertos13

Edited by Geertos13

Excellent work!

I absolutely love the exterior patterning, it looks like it would blend right in with Hogsmeade!

Great technique on the door, i always struggle with the angles on those.

The only thing that i would do differently is give the roof some overhang. It looks slightly strange not protruding at all.

Good Luck in the contest!

Sirius

Great entry Geertos! I liked your Three Broomsticks too, but this one certainly does have a more interesting and detailed look.

I very much agree with Sirius Black that you should create some overhang for the roof. That would certainly look better. Maybe a little more detailing to break up the blank tan wall you have above the sign would also be good.

Though I like what you've done to make a side-angled door, I think the way that incorporates into the top floor looks a bit strange. Maybe if you hadn't made that cut into the upper floor, it would look better. I'm not sure.

One last suggestion is to add a bottom step to the stairs leading up to the door, or add some more snow piled at the bottom. The stairs just seem to end too abruptly, IMO.

It also seems a little skinny right now, but perhaps with the interior details it will not seem so anymore.

Holy Cow! Talk about great minds! Three Broomsticks, Honeydukes, and St. Mungos were the exact same things I was thinking of building for the contest! :oh3: Good thing I decided to do something else instead. :grin:

Anyhow, very nice entry. It does indeed look more detailed than your Broomsticks entry, :thumbup: The only things I can think of improving have already been mentioned. The only other idea I can give is what I would have done if I would have built Honeydukes and still had room for a couple of pieces: Put some BURPs under it and make the cellar with the trap door! :sweet:

Looking forward to the interior!

PS: I wouldn't have emptied your Broomsticks thread. The mods could have just renamed it so that it could stay as a regular MOC. Now you'll have to make the thread all over again if you still want to share it here. :sceptic:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

This looks very good! (Even) Better that the Three Broomsticks. I like the angled door a lot! Original ideas in a MOC are a great plus!

I don't know if you're still going to adjust it here and there, but when I comment I always (most of the time) give constructive criticism. If I may suggest, I would do the following two things:

- move the upper (tan) walls one stud more to the front, so that the walls under and above are in the same line. I know you probably build it this way on purpose, so feel free to leave it that way. I just think that it would look cool if the angled door would be overlapped by the upper walls.

- let the roof-bricks stick out one stud to the front. It often looks good.

I hope you don't feel offended by these tips! I really like your creation and it is also great the way it's now! Good luck in the comp!

greets, Jan / Mr.Brick

Edited by Mr.Brick

Well guys,

Thanks for all the nice feedback !

I have posted the updated version and furfilled most of your wishes, Orverlapping the roof, adding a step, building a bit of the cellar ( might change, according to you :wink: ) destroyed the cut-off corner...

Tell me what you think !

And I also uploaded the inside !

Please give your opinion ! :classic:

Great entry! The interior has a nice look and feel to it. The building itself is accurate and detailed. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Beautiful MOC, Geertos13! I saw it before you edited it, and the changes you made have improved it quite a bit. The new sign looks much better, and the interior is excellent. Well done, and good luck!

Hm... The interior looks very nice, but I feel that the ground floor has a serious lack of candy. The roof looks better now, but the space between it and the sign (which also looks better) still seems too empty. Perhaps you could add another window there? I'm also not so sure about the corner above the door. Sorry, but I think I liked it better the way it was before. There's still something off about the steps too. That last step just looks like an after thought. Maybe it would integrate it better if you added some snow tiles underneath it. I'm also sorry to say that the trap door is a bit disappointing. For one thing, I think it's inaccurate. If memory serves me right, the trap door is located in the cellar of the shop which is accessed through a door behind the counter. Therefore, I would swap the trapdoor with a regular plate, move the counter back, and add a large table with candy in the center of the room. Then you can do as I suggested and build a subterranean level for the basement with the trapdoor. You can have it filled with some large crates and barrels. Maybe you can even leave a hole in the floor next to the counter and have some steps leading down to the basement, but that's just optional since you can also just imagine that the stairs are in the part of the shop that is cut off, just like the stairs to the second floor.

Other than that, great work so far! I hope I'm not being too nit-picky. I'm just trying to help you make your entry as awesome as possible. :classic:

Very nice changes Geertos. The outside looks about perfect now!

I like what you've done with the interior as well, though I don't really understand what some of the things are upstairs. Is that a giant lollipop on the floor? And a big stand with a bowl of ice cream?

If you can/want to, I would add some more candy and merchandise to the interior. I imagine Honeydukes as being very crammed with delicious goodies to buy.

Grr. That was my entry! default_tong.gif I was just about to finish mine, but I think this blows mine out of the water. Great entry, and good color choices. Dark tan especially. The windows and exterior are very well done. Mine also includes a trap door, although a little different than yours.

Might I suggest adding some sort of floor pattern? It looks a bit plain right now.

Thanks again Guys ! For all your great Comments and Critics !

I have executed your other wishes by creating a Cellar, and putting in more candy :classic:

I hope you like this new look ! I now am around 10 pieces away of the 1000 limit so more detail is absolutly not going to be possible. I am However willing to take things out and replace them, or even go back to the old version if you dislike this one.

I hope the Cellar is Okay,

Please give me C&C so I know if you appreciate the Modifications ! :wink:

I love what you've done to it. This looks so much better than the original one you made. The cellar looks really nice, do I spy the trap door? :tongue: The cash register looks cool with all the Galleons next to it. That lollipop spinning thing looks cool, great use of that odd spiral piece. The only gripe I have with it is that if anyone wants to leave the store, they fall off the edge of the stairs. :tongue: Too bad this is what I was planning to do for the contest(but you beat me too it! :cry_sad: )

Edited by Legomaster34

Good job, Geertos! The cellar looks great! I especially like that close up shot which looks like it's lit by a wand. :oh: You didn't have to modify your entry so much to include it though. I think you could have just added it underneath it, kind of as if you can see below the ground, but this definitely works too. The stairs look good now too, as does the interior. However, I hope you can forgive me for repeating myself, but I think the space above the sign still looks a bit empty, and there could still be some more shelves with candy in the shop. Those would be easy fixes, so you wont go over the piece limit. Just take out some of the bricks and replace them with a window and some inverted slopes which reach into the inside to work as shelves.

Oh, and if you want to make it more clear that the Hypnodisc is a liquid inside a container, you could place it inside a Technic wheel that is just a tad larger than the disc to make it look like it's in a kettle.

Then your entry will be about perfect! :thumbup:

Good luck!

PS: Looks like those kids on the second floor are gonna get in trouble for tipping that bowl of candid fruit. :laugh:

I've been keenly observing the progress of this build and I must say that the revisions that you did, taking into account other members' suggestions, have really paid off very well as this final product looks great! The external design is visually appealing, and I really like the realistic placement of the 'snow parts'. The details of the interior are perfect for a candy sweet shop, particularly the swirling Chocolate Fondue which I love. Just a wonderful entry overall Geertos, best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

WOW,I like the building.

I realy like the outside and the cellar

Keep it up :thumbup:

Edited by hoiharry

Wonderful! Really cute exterior, and nice cellar as well. Why would someone call this ugly?

The interior is very cool too!

Regards,

Sirius Orion Black II

Great entry! I especially like the somewhat diagonal door. I always think it is challenging to build houses that are not square. Also, though the exterior gives the impression of a small store, the interior is actually very spatious. Great work!

Thanks alot guys for all your great comments.

Even if Oky Wan and some others have suggested other changes, I decided to keep the way it is, as I'm happy with the Final Result.

I hope you liked this creation and that You'll help it to earn some votes in the contest ! :classic:

Awesome entry, Geertos13! :thumbup: The exterior is lovely, I like the windows on the lower floor. The angled door is also a nice touch and the dark tan steps complement very well. It's also a great idea to place the shop higher, with a step leading to its door, so you can incorporate a cellar! :wink: The interior is also charming with the various candy. I like the bowls of candy scattered around. The lollipop water is also a great idea, that dish works perfect. Overall, nice work and good luck! :classic: