Sign in to follow this  
cavegod

Technic X-wing

That looks amazing, I wonder if there is a forum post about it on this site or another. :classic: I think this is the first time I have ever seen a Star Wars technic model and I am impressed. :thumbup:

Thanks for pointing it out Cavegod.

That looks amazing, I wonder if there is a forum post about it on this site or another. :classic: I think this is the first time I have ever seen a Star Wars technic model and I am impressed. :thumbup:

Thanks for pointing it out Cavegod.

Same here, this will be a great model when finished

Ooh, this is one to watch. The dimensions look wrong, somehow, though. Where's fallenangel when you need him? :tongue:

Ooh, this is one to watch. The dimensions look wrong, somehow, though. Where's fallenangel when you need him? :tongue:

What are you talking about? I'm right here. :classic: I thought you'd mention my name...

I thought this model was actually fairly interesting, as I haven't come across many X-wings larger than minifigure scale. (So far, I think I've only seen two MOCs, including this one - the other was so terrible that I've even forgotten what it looked like.)

As far as dimensions go, I can't help but think that the nose looks a bit thick and that the canopy section looks a bit shortened, though it may just look that way from the angle at which the photo was taken. He may have made the rear section of the canopy (the part that doesn't open) just a bit too big. I need a side or overhead view to be completely sure.

Like most MOCs, the cargo hold area on his appears to be misplaced forward, and the straight transition between the nose cone and the rest of the nose doesn't look too good to me. Still, I like the way this person has tried to capture the angles of the X-wing's fuselage using Technic.

At this large scale, I find the SNOT wings strangely fitting. Of course, the fact that the aft edge of the wing appears to extend too far back isn't too great.

I'm not a big fan of how the Technic leaves all those gaps in the hull - I really hope that this drakmin addresses that.

In any case, I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

This looks great, I like how they are staying true to the colors.

*huh* Whatever do you mean? At the very least, the canopy should be sand blue or some bluish shade of grey. And I'm fairly certain that the squadron markings on the wings should not extend all the way to the engines.

My thoughts on the nose are confirmed through this picture:

x_wing_wip_3.jpg

The flaw seems to be that drakmin has got the top half of the nose (with the red stripe) centered the vertical line of symmetry, when in fact it should sit well above the line. This is evident in the way that the bottom edge of the red strip does not line up with the nose cone the way it should, though I guess that's just due to Technic limitations. (Getting those strips to line up is a pain for me - that's why I usually don't include them. Actually, they're not lined up on my current rendition either.)

The angle of inclination of the nose is the same as that of the canopy - fine if you're making an E-wing fighter, but not for an X-wing. Furthermore, it appears that the top face of the nose does not taper, which is incorrect; the taper should be evident there as well. (This is also something I should fix on my X-wing, but so far I haven't been able to...)

In any case, I really hope drakmin remembers to fix these slight inaccuracies, because I've never seen a LEGO X-wing that captures the angles of the nose correctly - if done right, his will look quite fantastic!

It appears from the way drakmin has filled in the area where the wings should be that the wings are not intended to open or close. But I suppose a rod running through the whole thing wouldn't support bulky Technic wings all that well - maybe drakmin intends to use a gear system of some sort?

actually the wings will be motorised!

Even better. :sweet: When was this project started? I mean, is it a build that's even still being worked on?

His wing mechanism looks pretty good:

x_wing_wip_6.jpg

Kinda like a Technic version of what fallenangle did.

Hello all!

My x-wing is now finished. I ran out of parts (roughly 3000-3600 parts used) so the x-wing is without landing gears. S-foils are motorized. I'm sorry for the inaccuracies in the main body and for the colors being off. My limited part collection is the one to blame for the colours. This is my first build after a 15 years break from legos. Any suggestions on what to build next?

-drakmin

x_wing_3.jpg

Drakmin's youtube.

Great to hear from the builder himself!

Honestly, the only thing that really looks off is the nose.

As for another build... well this X-wing is missing a Astrodroid to help fly it and a TIE/ln to fight it.

I think i'll try the rebel snow speeder in big scale too since I have mostly grey and red parts. Should be easy to make controls in the pilot compartment which control the "ailerons". Cable gun should also have controls in the gunners seat. My first x-wing is now taken apart and only remains in photos ;D

I think i'll try the rebel snow speeder in big scale too since I have mostly grey and red parts. Should be easy to make controls in the pilot compartment which control the "ailerons". Cable gun should also have controls in the gunners seat. My first x-wing is now taken apart and only remains in photos ;D

Not a bad idea. I'm rather fond of the T-47 myself.

BTW, if you need help with accuracy, after you've made ten posts, you can PM fallenangel327; he'll give you everything you need. (including some definitive criticism if you do something wrong)

At this moment I could use some high resolution blue prints. Thank you ;D

At this moment I could use some high resolution blue prints. Thank you ;D

What if I say yes? :grin:

I can get you a photo of the ones printed in The Art of the Empire Strikes Back; really useful. I used them myself when building my minifig-scale T-47.

Honestly, the only thing that really looks off is the nose.

That doesn't even begin to cover it... but I'll spare drakmin a page of criticism since this is his first model in a while, and nonetheless an impressive one at that.

Actually, the bad angling on the nose isn't really all that noticeable from the top view (although a lot of other things are, but as I said, I won't go into that just yet).

Hello drakmin and welcome to Eurobricks!

I'm sorry if my criticism of your model came across as a bit too nitpicky. Technic isn't exactly the easiest medium to work with, and you've done a wonderful job of creating a very angular build in the style of the X-wing. This is the first time I've seen a Technic X-wing, and one of only two I've seen built larger than minifigure scale, so you definitely get points for originality. 3000 parts is impressive indeed. (How big is it?)

Do you have a video of the motorized wings opening and closing?

As for what to build next, I would strongly suggest building a second X-wing, partially because I feel you could benefit from improving upon a design you are relatively familiar with to really get into the habit of building again, and partially because I think if this Technic were executed well this X-wing may become one of the best I've ever seen. And as an X-wing enthusiast (see avatar and Brickshelf folder) of course I would be willing to offer help in that field.

How about a Virago? It's got a unique design that you can't really capture perfectly in bricks, and a Technic approach to that would be interesting.

As for blueprints, I've found that they're usually quite inaccurate (as everyone has their own interpretation of what they perceive the studio model to look like) so I would suggest going with pictures of the studio models themselves, or at least really good replicas. There are a lot of really good hi-res pictures of the T-47 on modelermagic (so far the best source I've found for Star Wars models, although for the Falcon I've found none better than studioscale). The T-47 has an angular look that would suit Technic so I would encourage you to go ahead with that as well, although I would advise you in the future to fill in the holes in your models with plates and tiles. (This would also allow for the inclusion of some finer details, or "greeblies" as I've heard many people call them.)