Hinckley

Harry Potter Original Wizard Contest

post-486-129481228678.jpg

Harry Potter Original Wizard Contest!

Create an original character for the Harry Potter universe. This means an original custom character created by you, not appearing in the books or movies.

Rules

1. Must be built with LEGO bricks & mini-fig parts, no clone brands or custom parts.
  2. No custom decals.
  3. Entry can only contain one LEGO minifigure.
  4. No digital entries are allowed - only actual brick-built entries.
  5. Contestants may submit a maximum number of 5 pictures per entry.
  6. Entries should have a link to a picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy).
  7. Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels. Posts with larger pics will be deleted.
  8. The first picture you post should be the one you want used in the voting thread.
  9. Figure can be presented in an 8x8 vignette. No overlapping and no more than 100 pieces. :wink:
  10. No webcam or phone pictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background.
  11. No Photoshop enhancements outside of sharpening, brightening, color correction or other image adjustment. No added text or effects.
  12. Entries must be new. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified.
  13. Contest entries must be posted before the 1st of February, 2011.
  14. Only one entry per person.
  15. Post entries in the entry thread.
  16. All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress.
  17. All entries not living up to the rules on the end date will be disqualified
  18. Entries must be something the whole AFOL community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content.

Prizes

1st place-a surprise

2nd place-special tag

3rd place-special tag

Sounds great Hinck!

Though I have to ask this stupid question, are the characters minifigs or built like miniland figures? :blush: Silly I know but in the rules it says they must be built with lego bricks, but not minifig parts? Just need confirmation. Hopefully Im can get my entry up in time!

Oh I see, make a minifigure mentioned or seen in the books or movies right?

Hmmm..this is tricky but I think I found my character

Thank you for the contest! :classic:

I believe original means that it does NOT appear in either of those works.

So wait, any entries published online before are disqualified? Why make people make new avatars, and then make a contest in which they have to make another? *huh*

OMG CallMePie!!! Can you show us one instance where this competition says anything about Avatars? *huh* And also, no one is making anyone do anything.

I'd really check how I write things if I was you. You are coming across as extremely rude and unthoughtful. Hinckley puts in a lot of effort for us all and thinks up these competitions. Please have some respect!

I love the idea of this competition. Will really bring out at the HP Nerds. I have a name picked put already for my Character.

Ha sweet Hinckey !

The Harry Potter month coming to an end made me sad, but this sure is a great way to make me happy again ! It's not over yet !

I'll be sure to enter this, But I don't really have an idea for a character. He or she has to fit in the Harry Potter World...

Hmmmm.... Going to be a tof contest !

PS : I just want to say that I agree with Cutlass Iz, we should all be very thankfull !

Thank you very much Hinck' for organizing all this for us, the Harry Potter Nerds Fans :laugh:

Sounds fun! Stupid question: So we're not allowed to add little effects to the wands like on the banner above?

A fun idea for a contest, I'm definitely participating to this since I'm apparently out of ideas for the Winter Break building challenge.

I have to say, the rules also make this tough. An original minifig that fits the HP world but is not a character from the franchise. And using only legitimate LEGO parts. With only a 100 extra pieces for a backdrop. And the winner is chosen by the public. Yikes!

Yeaah! Harry Potter Month II! I love it. If I understand it correctly we have to make a character from the books/movie, right? Or does 'original' mean 'made-up'?

Sounds great Hinck!

Though I have to ask this stupid question, are the characters minifigs or built like miniland figures? :blush: Silly I know but in the rules it says they must be built with lego bricks, but not minifig parts? Just need confirmation. Hopefully Im can get my entry up in time!

There's no such thing as a stupid question, except this one. :tongue: Just kidding. I'll clarify in the rules. Minifig, not minilander (you doofus.) :grin:

Perhaps this rule further confused you:

1. Entry can only contain one LEGO minifigure.

No. Not at all. Original means you make it up and it does not appear in the books or movies.

So wait, any entries published online before are disqualified? Why make people make new avatars, and then make a contest in which they have to make another? *huh*

Oh no! We have to be creative and play with LEGO bricks? Why is Hinckley so cruel? :cry_sad: Life is so unfair, next he'll give us prizes. Why do I even come to this site??

:hmpf_bad:

OMG CallMePie!!! Can you show us one instance where this competition says anything about Avatars? *huh* And also, no one is making anyone do anything.

I'd really check how I write things if I was you. You are coming across as extremely rude and unthoughtful. Hinckley puts in a lot of effort for us all and thinks up these competitions. Please have some respect!

I love the idea of this competition. Will really bring out at the HP Nerds. I have a name picked put already for my Character.

:wub: And thank you for your help with this too! :wink: :wink:

Yeaah! Harry Potter Month II! I love it. If I understand it correctly we have to make a character from the books/movie, right? Or does 'original' mean 'made-up'?

I've just answered this. How is the word "original" confusing? *huh* Does it translate differently in other languages? I'm actually not being a smartass. I'm trying to find the best word.

Anyway, we use the word MOC every day which stands for My Original Creation, right? (Or is it My Own Creation...) But original means you designed it, it's your creation, it doesn't appear anywhere else, it came from your brain, it is based off of your creativity... capeche?

I've just answered this. How is the word "original" confusing? *huh* Does it translate differently in other languages? I'm actually not being a smartass. I'm trying to find the best word.

Anyway, we use the word MOC every day which stands for My Original Creation, right? (Or is it My Own Creation...) But original means you designed it, it's your creation, it doesn't appear anywhere else, it came from your brain, it is based off of your creativity... capeche?

Ok, I get it. It was just... Maybe it had to be from the original books, y'know. You've got the original characters: Harry, Ron, etc. and you've got your custom minifigs. A better word would be custom I think, but it's your choice.

Anyway, still love it. ;) :thumbup:

Ok, I get it. It was just... Maybe it had to be from the original books, y'know. You've got the original characters: Harry, Ron, etc. and you've got your custom minifigs. A better word would be custom I think, but it's your choice.

Anyway, still love it. ;) :thumbup:

Duh, custom would've made more sense. :blush:

But all the books are original, there is no expanded universe like Star Wars. Is there? *huh*

Oh no! We have to be creative and play with LEGO bricks? Why is Hinckley so cruel? :cry_sad: Life is so unfair, next he'll give us prizes. Why do I even come to this site??

Not prizes, anything but that! You're a mean, mean taskmaster. :laugh: Well, since you're forcing us, I might as well come up with something. My wizard duel character might just have to make a new friend. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with as well.

How much backstory is expected for our new character?

Duh, custom would've made more sense. :blush:

But then again, the rules forbid the use of customized (re-painted, decaled, modded etc.) official LEGO parts, which is what people often mean when they talk about "custom minifigs".

I think you should add an broader explanation of just what exactly you're looking for to the rules. The current wording is not really descriptive enough to some people, apparently.

And indeed, the word "original" has several meanings, and can be translated in several ways at least in my native language.

But then again, the rules forbid the use of customized (re-painted, decaled, modded etc.) official LEGO parts, which is what people often mean when they talk about "custom minifigs".

I think you should add an broader explanation of just what exactly you're looking for to the rules. The current wording is not really descriptive enough to some people, apparently.

And indeed, the word "original" has several meanings, and can be translated in several ways at least in my native language.

Thanks. :sweet: I did edit it a bit. Do you think it's enough?

Does the minifig and accesory count as peices?

Yes.

Why is, everybody always making such a FUZZ about these rules !

They seemed pretty clear to me, if you have a specific question, about the minifigures or the parts, ask away...

But what is all that about the "Original"

It was kinda obvious for me, and I'm french !

So Hinck, can we make a Minifigure with Custom parts ? :laugh::tongue::sweet:

Just Kidding, I'll get to my bricks and use everything I can find.

I'll just invent a Character... Let's see...

Thinks - thinks - thinks - thinks....

:hmpf_bad:

And they say sarcasm doesn't come across well on message boards. :laugh:

I'm going to have to think about this a little more.

EDIT: Arrgh. Too much thinking. I'll just throw something together and hope it comes out well.

Edited by Walter Kovacs

Okay, I guess I'll have to edit my previous post :laugh:

Because I have a question ! :blush:

I read the rules and I didn't understand the word "overlapping"

Went checking on the internet but I might have misunderstood.

( So if somebody could quickely explain )

On a different though related subject,

Are we allowed to present our fig in two different Backgrounds ?

Keeping both these backgrounds under the 100 limit.

For instance, if I want to present Harry Potter , can I show him at Hogwarts, and at the Dursley

Don't worry I'm not planning to, ORIGINAL CHARACTER RULE !!!!! :wink:

Edited by Geertos13

I read the rules and I didn't understand the word "overlapping"

Went checking on the internet but I might have misunderstood.

( So if somebody could quickely explain )

Common in vig contest, the pieces on the 8x8 base cannot extend past the edges of the base. :sweet: Good question.

Sounds like a great contest, Hinckley! I'd love to enter, but I have two problems:

1. I only have a phone/ iPod touch camera.

2. I don't have a studio.

Can I still enter?

I'm not trying to come across as rude, I'm just saying a lot of people made up wizards for their avatars, and now to think they can't be used, it seems a bit strange. No need to yell. :hmpf: I think it's a good idea, I'm just saying it could have conincided with the avatar contest nicely.

Edited by CallMePie