______

No more straight and curve packs!

I recently emailed Lego about my concerns of the straight and curved track sets being sold out and also being sold half price, well I got an email back, and it is bad news.

"The set 7896 with straight and curved tracks will not be produced in 2011 anymore and indeed followed up with the straight and flexible tracks set."

This is followed with

"Many customers have contacted us over the last years asking for more flexability as most larger train layouts needed more straight, and less curved tracks. We have not heard many complaints about the flexcible track pieces but if they prove to be less suitable in the eyes of our consumers we will take this feedback onboard for the next train track sets."

I was surprised that no one has complained about flexi-track, I have certainly heard terrible tales of it locking gears and in summary, it just looks terrible. However it looks like we might have to deal with it unless they don't sell well enough.

Well, maybe the ambassadors can complain to LEGO about it? I know some non-AFOL (but parents) customers that were complaining about it. Also a lot of people complain about the lack of that nice cross switch point.

Well, maybe the ambassadors can complain to LEGO about it? I know some non-AFOL (but parents) customers that were complaining about it. Also a lot of people complain about the lack of that nice cross switch point.

Yeah I have emailed about cross switch points as well.

Also a lot of people complain about the lack of that nice cross switch point.

It's not nice in my experience, it's border-line pointless. It's a flawed design and that's possibly why lego dropped it (or possibly there simply wasn't enough demand).

What's the problem with the design? It appears to be intended to provide a crossover for two adjacent tracks (probably a two-track loop). But it's not possible to line all the switches straight. Two of the four switches will always be lined to cross to the other track. This means that it's very easy to cause crashes by running a train in the wrong direction through the crossover. Crashes with Lego trains are a lot of fun, but they can get boring.

It's a shame, because with the normal switches it's not possible to provide a compact connection between two tracks. It might have been better if each of the four switches could be lined independently (this would work just fine thanks to the neat sprung-switch design).

I would like to say that I think they should sell

a Box of ONLY straights Tracks

a Box of ONLY curved Tracks

and a Box of ONLY flexible Tracks.

This would be soooo much easier and make everyone more happy. :sceptic:

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

One argument against this was that it confuses parents and makes it harder for shops to stock these items (shops will only stock a certain number of different products).

But in the UK at least, physical shops don't stock the track pack anyway. Even on the web, not many UK stores stock these items, I found about four online stores stocking the straights and curves pack.

So perhaps straights and curves could become pick-a-brick items? When racked on the pegs in quantities of four, they make nice large blocks which might be easy to handle for hand picking of custom orders. Would it be a problem if minimum buy quantity was four?

One argument against this was that it confuses parents and makes it harder for shops to stock these items (shops will only stock a certain number of different products).

So perhaps straights and curves could become pick-a-brick items? When racked on the pegs in quantities of four, they make nice large blocks which might be easy to handle for hand picking of custom orders. Would it be a problem if minimum buy quantity was four?

I know that parents are confused, mainly because Lego does not make clear what it takes to provide sufficient track. Is that one box of track or two? Parent comments on Amazon are enough to show this many times over.

I've written this before and I'll write it again with the hope that someone at Lego is listening. For the sake of parents, give them the ability to buy, in a single click, an oval of track or whatever (a la carte as well). As the prior poster suggests, make track a pick-a-brick item, but allow parents an easy way to buy an entire layout in one click. Stop trying to come up with the perfect box assortment (there isn't one) that requires a global roll-out, boxes, etc. The brick-and-mortar retailers are barely stocking the stuff anyway. Pick-a-brick is the way to go, and emblazon all train sets with "Buy your track layout at Lego.com." The same should be done for motors, that is, a one-click option for buying a motor, battery, and RC modules for motorizing the Hogwarts Express. Yes, you can get these a la carte already, but many parents are completely flummoxed by the options.

Inevitably, there will be someone on this list noting that Lego does not derive much income from AFOL train-heads, but the sales of Hogwarts Express and the Toy Story train were incredible this holiday season. I was checking Amazon over the last few weeks and the Hogwarts Express was thumping sets that we usually assume are the best sellers (e.g., the police station, many Star Wars sets). These numbers will even out over the year, but it is still impressive. Many of these families will be looking for, and not finding easily, track and motors from Lego.

Edited by MojoLego

After seeing the track on clearance, I was just thinking that perhaps LEGO just planned to offer a box of straight and a box of curves - just like 9V. I must admit that I never liked any of the bley non-metal track since 9V was eliminated. I don't have a lot of 9V track, but it suits my needs and limited table space.

LEGO seems to have made a number of critical mistakes when it comes to Trains, and if curved track will be replaced with flexi-track, it's just one more bad decision. I'll keep my 9V track - thank you very much; while LEGO tries different things until they lose more train fans.

In regard to MojoLego's comments above: IMO, Trains always sell well around Christmas time because people like to set them up with their decorations (i.e. tree, etc.). Also, here in the States, Harry Potter movies are always shown on television - so I can see why Hogwarts Express did well. I was looking for a Cargo Train that was stocked before Christmas and it was sold out. Hopefully the stores will get a few more so I don't have to order a crushed one from LSAH. Trains also make great gifts for the kiddies as the price point is much higher, and they love opening and setting-up a train on Christmas morning; at least I do if I'm able to wait until morning.

the sales of Hogwarts Express and the Toy Story train were incredible this holiday season.

I was in my local toy shop today. It's probably one of a handful of fully stocked traditional high street toy shops in the UK (there's probably about one in each major city).

A. the proprietor (nice man) said that Lego was the top seller this Christmas, and has been for 22 years except for the City Junior period when it's widely known that sales dipped.

B. the only trains on offer are Hogwarts Express and the Toy Story train. He knows his market, he doesn't stock what doesn't sell.

C. no track, motors or anything else like that. Shelf space is limited - the entire shop is full shelves from floor to ceiling, no gaps, no wasted space. Lego is perhaps 5% of total shelf space, maximum.

I have so much Flex that a lot of it is still in the package because i have so much hate for it. Lego has no care for the Adult fan, or about the parents. Otherwise they would be on these forums asking for input. The flex is the worst idea ever, but that said. It will probably be around for a long time because its cheap and easy to produce. I think Its even made over seas.

you think they would at least split up the flex and straight to give people an option. ..... :(

I listen to what's been said here :-)

Flexitracs are made in Billund, Denmark.

I listen to what's been said here :-)

Flexitracs are made in Billund, Denmark.

well, thats +1 for flex.

but, that is great.....

I would like to say that I think they should sell

a Box of ONLY straights Tracks

a Box of ONLY curved Tracks

and a Box of ONLY flexible Tracks.

Exact! ...and maybe a new (RC) rail crossing like the (9V) set 4519. It's strange that LEGO hasn't plan to do that. :hmpf_bad:

Exact! ...and maybe a new (RC) rail crossing like the (9V) set 4519. It's strange that LEGO hasn't plan to do that. :hmpf_bad:

My guess is if they were willing to discontinue the double crossover and the old curves, they are probably not ready to come out with new (or old, technically) pieces either. I would love if they brought back the + crossing and the double crossover, though. I suppose until then that is what Bricklink is for.

The flex is the worst idea ever, but that said. It will probably be around for a long time because its cheap and easy to produce. I think Its even made over seas.

I like the flex, it's useful :classic:

It's unlikely to be cheap, or easy to produce. It's a complex part, the molds for this one were probably expensive and it probably needed a lot of costly R&D to get to a reliable design. Each piece has a couple of parts, which have to be assembled before shipping - that adds more cost.

According to Wikipedia, unless you live in Denmark, Hungary or Mexico, all Lego is made overseas :laugh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego

(I thought many parts were also now made in China, but that's not mentioned).

I like the flex, it's useful :classic:

It's unlikely to be cheap, or easy to produce. It's a complex part, the molds for this one were probably expensive and it probably needed a lot of costly R&D to get to a reliable design. Each piece has a couple of parts, which have to be assembled before shipping - that adds more cost.

i agree, it can be useful, but not as an alternative to track. It has to be cheap. two small parts that clip into each other and produced over and over.

It has to be cheap. two small parts that clip into each other and produced over and over.

Compared to ordinary straights and curves? More plastic, more assembly, more quality checking, more cost... :classic:

Compared to ordinary straights and curves? More plastic, more assembly, more quality checking, more cost... :classic:

agreed. trying to look at it with LEGO eyes. I think less plastic though.

agreed. trying to look at it with LEGO eyes. I think less plastic though.

Look at the amount of plastic required to make an equivalent length, and consider that each train set requires at least a circle. I'm sure it would be cheaper to include 16 curves than 64 flex pieces.

While I find the flex track a bit ugly, I'm just finalizing a layout for a convention. My layout attaches to the next one via a bridge which has one stud between tracks. While I think this is a bit of a horrid design for 9V/PF track, the flex saved the day for me, and has been very useful for the turntable I'm also including in my layout. That being said I've probably already got enough from the two 2010 train sets and would rather be able to buy straights separately.

Look at the amount of plastic required to make an equivalent length, and consider that each train set requires at least a circle. I'm sure it would be cheaper to include 16 curves than 64 flex pieces.

While I find the flex track a bit ugly, I'm just finalizing a layout for a convention. My layout attaches to the next one via a bridge which has one stud between tracks. While I think this is a bit of a horrid design for 9V/PF track, the flex saved the day for me, and has been very useful for the turntable I'm also including in my layout. That being said I've probably already got enough from the two 2010 train sets and would rather be able to buy straights separately.

yes, very ugly. its noisy. and what i hate most is that it takes away from a child's imagination. There is no problem solving. Its just "a stick it all together" and force it the way you want it to go.

and that, in my mind is NOT Lego at all.

I wouldn't mind if we had the option to buy curved OR flex, but only selling flex is a major problem in my eyes. I think flex can be useful for odd jobs like Peterab said, but I don't want to replace curves with an ugly and loud counterpart. Looks like were going to have to get used to it, unless Lego looks at the Train Tech forum.

Edited by halfpenguinhalflego

I wouldn't mind if we had the option to buy curved OR flex, but only selling flex is a major problem in my eyes. I think flex can be useful for odd jobs like Peterab said, but I don't want to replace curves with an ugly an ugly and loud counterpart.

Word!

I wouldn't mind if we had the option to buy curved OR flex, but only selling flex is a major problem in my eyes. I think flex can be useful for odd jobs like Peterab said, but I don't want to replace curves with an ugly and loud counterpart. Looks like were going to have to get used to it, unless Lego looks at the Train Tech forum.

well, the switch pack still comes with curves.

IF Lego would come on here...... 8 pack of straights.... 8 pack of curves.... 2 switches... and whatever flex if you will..... :)

This is the sort of thing the ambassadors should be feeding back to TLG. If you belong to a LUG, raise it with your ambassador - it's what they're for. I shall raise it with Doctor Sinister....

It's not nice in my experience, it's border-line pointless. It's a flawed design and that's possibly why lego dropped it (or possibly there simply wasn't enough demand).

What's the problem with the design? It appears to be intended to provide a crossover for two adjacent tracks (probably a two-track loop). But it's not possible to line all the switches straight. Two of the four switches will always be lined to cross to the other track. This means that it's very easy to cause crashes by running a train in the wrong direction through the crossover. Crashes with Lego trains are a lot of fun, but they can get boring.

It's a shame, because with the normal switches it's not possible to provide a compact connection between two tracks. It might have been better if each of the four switches could be lined independently (this would work just fine thanks to the neat sprung-switch design).

I got caught by this, was not clear until I actually physically saw and tried that I found out parallel straights using them was impossible.

As for Curves, yep they are a great challenge, yes I thought of heading towards flexi, but thats almost a cop out..

I am also lucky to have a large amount of corners and in the near to medium future should not need more, maybe by then LEGO will bring them back..