Sign in to follow this  
davee123

Viking Village

indexed.gif

Here's a Viking Village I built recently for KidsFest 2010-- mostly I was just playing around with a new roof design for a thatched roof. Turned out pretty well, but it sure eats through lots of dark tan and tan tiles!

village1_320x240.jpg

DaveE

I love how that roofing looks, I hope you got the look you were going for because it looks awesome. Not to forget that the rest of the moc, looks great as well. I like the beach area specifically were the water meats the land, it just looks appropriate for the scene.

Wow! The roofs are awesome! I'm surprised I haven't seen more roofs like this. Very intuitive :thumbup:

Also, I like the fish rack, and the row of skulls :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

Amazing creation DaveE! I agree the roofs of the village houses are the "star" of this MOC, they're simply accurate and uniquely-built, something I haven't seen anywhere before. And I must say you really captured the overall 'Village' feel in this build - a peaceful and tranquil atmosphere before the Vikings head to their perilous journey as the wives and family stay back at home. Truly a great work! default_thumbup.gif

This is beautiful. That "thatching" definitely works - it's a great technique. I also really like the beach and the rock wall. It looks totally natural.

Really well done, davee123 :thumbup:

A great creation, I really like the roof design you used, and a nice use of those legs too.

But the houses them self look also really good, I especially like that you angled them.

And the little boat really finishes this MOC. :classic:

Well done.

the Inventor

This really is a sight to behold, well done on the beautiful and simple details you have included. Frontpaged for good measure.

Those roofs are simply fantastic. :thumbup:

That technique could be useful for things other than roofs as well, maybe floor mats even.

Great work davee123!

It has been said many times already, but that's a great roof design. Especially from a small distance it looks very realistic.

And there are more nice things in it, like the shields on the houses, the viking ship and the well (simple, but good).

Very Viking-ish :classic:

Thanks, all :)

Yeah, the roofs are really what I was showcasing with this model. If I had had the time, I think I would've planned this MOC a little better with a more sloped landscape and a more appropriate-sized ship (or something) to fill the river space. But as KielDaMan said, the real focus for me was the roof design, since I didn't recall ever seeing this style before, and it really looked nice in the mock-up models that I was playing with.

DaveE

Here's a Viking Village I built recently for KidsFest 2010-- mostly I was just playing around with a new roof design for a thatched roof. Turned out pretty well, but it sure eats through lots of dark tan and tan tiles!

village1_320x240.jpg

DaveE

DaveE,

I was born in Northern Germany, close to Denmark. A pretty much famous Viking Village called "Haitabu" near Schleswig has been found earlier the last century. It was inhabited until the year 1000 - and part of it has been restored with a lot of effort, time, and money. I love to go there and learn from the past. Your village is such a nice replicate of what they did in Haitabu, it is amazing! It feels like being there, in the year 1000. Wonderful. Thanks a lot for sharing!!!

Best wishes,

Thorsten

Wow, your thatched roof is excellent! I agree that on the slope front, it's a bit lacking, but still very well done!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Great MOC, i especially like the roof and the way the logs cross on the roof. You should move the ship more into the water though.default_classic.gif

Wow, that's awesome. The roofs are magnificant. You need a lot of plates for that but the result is the best I've ever seen. :thumbup:

What a wonderful Moc davee123! :thumbup::wub:

I love the way you have done the thatched roof's!

I like the war galley, and the beach - water aswell.

Keep it up and looking forward to seeing more!

CF

Hi DaveE, I really like how you make roofs, I've never seen before.

Even boat is superb...!