Sign in to follow this  
Globemaster

Jessica: The Strike Witch that couldn't really fly

Theme: Strike Witches

Character: Lieutenant Erica Hartmann

Cost: $4.00 CAD including glue, paint, and paper. The most expensive parts were probably the white plume or the dark grey police hat

Additional Images: Here

Background Story

Jessica is your typical 16 year old high school otaku. She follows new anime series religiously and can be found at every Anime Evolution convention. Every year, Jessica cosplays as her favorite character and spends hours in front of her computer researching and putting together the "perfect" costume. This year, Jessica is attending as her favourite character from the new Japanese anime series "Strike Witches." Strike Witches is an award winning military anime series set in an alternate timeline where witches fly in striker units (aircraft propulsion systems modified to attach to the user's legs) to defend the earth from an alien invasion. All the characters are based on famous world war 2 flying aces (more on the series HERE.)

Being blond and sixteen, Jessica was naturally drawn to Lieutenant Erica Hartmann, a blond and 16 year old fighter ace from Karlsland. Jessica knows that if she can pull this costume off, she will definitely be the star of Anime Evolution 2010! After weeks of tedious ebay searching, she manages to acquire and modify an old German luftwaffe uniform to the right design. With her years of cosplay experiences, she skillfully modifies a pair of stilts into mock striker units. The one thing Jessica couldn't acquire due to her age was a replica mp40 machine gun. "Oh well," she thought, "this painted hand drill will have to do!"

Vignette

dsc01904.jpg

(Top: Jessica's dream of her apperance at Anime Evolution. Bottom: Jessica daydreaming/hard at work)

Front

dsc01932.jpg

Side

dsc01926.jpg

Back

dsc01929.jpg

Jessica is ready to attend the Anime Evolution Convention!

dsc01945.jpg

Note: Minifig is made completely with Lego parts. For those not familiar with the series, HERE is the actual character. More pictures of the reference character can be found in my brickshelf as well!

Also, series opening credits animation

Edited by Globemaster

Nice entry Globemaster! I'm not familiar with the anime fig, but its sure looks very accurate to the real character based on the ref. pic. I like the custom legs - very uniquely done. :thumbup: Good luck in the contest!

Thank you for this neat entry, Globemaster.

As others, I'm not familiar with the series, but this is a good occasion to expand my knowledge!

P.S.: You have 6 pics in your entry, while our rules allow only 5. I have to ask you to change the last (reference) picture into a link. Thank you.

Damn, that's some heavy modding! Excellent work on both the minifigure and the vignette.

Nice entry, I like the way you did a dream scene. Also the legs on the anime girl are very interesting.

Nice job on the accurate figure, but I watched the opening credits and was like WTF? I feel as though I need to wiki this now, girls with jet legs that transform into animal spirits, weird?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This was actually inspired from some Strike Witches cosplay costume attempts I saw from the past Anime Evolution. When I saw the contest theme, I couldn't resist doing this mod :laugh:

not a contest entry picture but a request I did for a user from an anime forum

fish.png

@sok117: It is a weird series but it allows for some interesting lego modifications :grin:

@sok117: It is a weird series but it allows for some interesting lego modifications :grin:

Well, it has me intrigued... I just don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, I generally don't watch anime to begin with.