Sign in to follow this  
Rayman

Sammy the Troll goes Hide Tight with his Plug Suit

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the late post. I have been working on this figure on and off ever since the competition was announced, but unfortunately it's exam period right now :hmpf_bad: so I am glad that I got this finished in time.

Here are the specs for my cosplay character:

Name: Sammy Orcari

Race: Troll

Theme: Anime - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Character: Shinji Ikari in unit one's plug suit Reference Image

Cost of LEGO parts (Based on BL Prices): $3.00 — I can't believe that blue hands cost $0.76 each!

Cost of Custom materials: $1.50 — just some decal paper, black paint, and printer ink.

Sammy lining up to register for the comic convention.

05.jpg

Here's why Sammy is cosplaying

Sammy is not like your typical TLG Troll. How so might you ask? Well... he doesn't enjoy eating bugs, stealing livestock, plundering and pestering the human townsfolk. He also becomes really nervous thinking about those things! Sammy dreams of a more peace and productive co-existence with his human Legoland counterparts, but it's somewhat difficult to communicate with them when the townspeople think you're going to attack them!

So what's Sammy to do? He's not what you call charismatic, and worse still he can't even smile! Poor Sammy...

Sigh, what special skills and passions does this odd troll have to offer? He does enjoy mending clothes — he mends the the troll army's clothes —, which is great, but Sammy is sure that there are already expert tailors working in the human town.

He also likes Japanese Anime — yep, they get the internet in troll land as well :tongue: — in fact he's a huge Anime fan, and this is precisely where Sammy's curiosity about humans comes from.

He is going to have to find a way to fit in the non-troll world!

Bonus back story comic — not part of competition entry.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4 (comes after Contest Vignette Pic)

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

VIEWS OF THE FIGURE

Sammy Front

01.jpg

Sammy Back

02.jpg

Sammy Side

03.jpg

Sammy Front - up and down lit

04.jpg

ABOUT THE FIGURE:

Neon Genesis: Evangelion — the original series, I haven't seen the new one yet — is one of all time favourite television shows, which was why I decided to have my character dressed in this theme. Why I made a troll cosplay? Originally I had wanted to do a female human cosplayer but as I was working on the decals I thought that it might be humourous having a stereotypically evil and anti-social character dress up to escape that generalisation.

I also personally think that the sand green flesh works well to offset the predominantly blue suit, and the red highlights on the suit match up with Sammy's red eyes.

Thanks for looking and hope you get a smile from Sammy's attempt at blending in with the crowd.

Good luck to the rest of the entrants as well!

Rayman

Edited by Rayman

Wow, excellent job! :thumbup: I haven't seen the series, but I'm slightly familiar with it, but the suit made me think of Evangelion when I saw it. Actually, I saw your figure earlier today on Brickshelf and I was really amazed by the quality of it. The troll idea is funny, but the figure is so perfectly printed. I assume you have a laser printer (combination with black pen)? I never get results like these with my inkjet printer. It looks like a real printed figure.

Again, great job! :sweet:

Impressive work Rayman! :thumbup: I'm not really familiar with Evangelion, but I like your unique approach for a cosplayer, using a troll character instead of a normal dude. The prints are indeed professional quality. Best of luck in the contest!

Excellent entry, Rayman!

I love how you are the first to make a not-standard-LEGO-minifig entry :thumbup:

Good luck with the voting.

Thanks for the replies! I have also updated my original post with the background story comic pictures that I promised, and if you don't want to scroll up here they are:

Bonus back story comic — not part of competition entry.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4 (comes after Contest Vignette Pic)

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

The troll idea is funny, but the figure is so perfectly printed. I assume you have a laser printer (combination with black pen)? I never get results like these with my inkjet printer. It looks like a real printed figure.

Again, great job! :sweet:

I am glad that you picked up on the cosplaying troll : ) I used an ALPS printer to print out the decal, as I prefer to use clear decals. However this makes the decals a little prone to damage when handled. You're close, I used thinned black paint to clean up some of the edges on the legs. But I have used black felt-tip pens in the past for this before.

Impressive work Rayman! :thumbup: I'm not really familiar with Evangelion, but I like your unique approach for a cosplayer, using a troll character instead of a normal dude. The prints are indeed professional quality. Best of luck in the contest!

Thanks KielDaMan, It was originally an Anime show from the mid 1990's but they're remaking it into a four-part movie series — haven't seen it though. I do recommend that you see it if you have the chance.

Really cool entry Raymond! :thumbup:

The decals are amazing! :wub:

Good luck in the contest!!

CF

Totally a pain to apply though... :hmpf_bad: Thanks for your comment!

Excellent entry, Rayman!

I love how you are the first to make a not-standard-LEGO-minifig entry :thumbup:

Good luck with the voting.

Thanks LuxorV I hope to see more non-standard figs before the deadline, this has been one of the more interesting competitions that I have participated in. It'd be awesome if we could host a EB cosplay event — doesn't have to be a competition — every year.