WhiteFang

REVIEW: 4841 Hogwarts Express

On a scale of 1 to 5   

125 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this Harry Potter train set?

Hello everyone,

I am pleased and proud to present to you, my very first 2010 Harry Potter review. I wasn't a big Harry Potter fan in the past and the 4750 Draco's Encounter with Buckbeak was my only review and one of the few sets I own. Right now, TLG is giving me a chance to own the brand new Harry Potter sets and this happens to be one of my very first train building experience. Yes you are not hearing me wrong. I had never built a train before and most of my other train sets are still in mint condition.

I simply could not resist the beauty of the Hogwarts Express when I was holding it in my arms last night and I have decided to break the seal and continue with the built. TheBrickster, do you feel happy for me? I am sure you waited a long while for me to get myself started with trains and I now enjoys this experience very much. By the way, do pardon my poor knowledge of Harry Potter and Trains as I just got myself involved in these new areas very recently and of course, largely because I was heavily influenced by Sandy's outstanding mafia game, known as the Hogwarts Mafia. Let's get this review started.

Name: 4841 Hogwarts Express

Theme: LEGO System / Harry Potter

Year: 2010

Minifigs: 5 minifigures

Price: USD $79.99, GBP 79.99, SGD $165.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original box image of the 4841 Hogwarts Express

1%7E15.jpg

Back view of the original box image of 4841 Hogwarts Express

2%7E17.jpg

Are these new Harry Potter minifigures worth to get? Read on to find out more

3%7E15.jpg

Let's board the Hogwarts Express

59%7E0.jpg

The 4841 Hogwarts Express is the 4th edition since the start of Harry Potter in 2001. I don't owns any of the past editions before but it appears the front of the train engine seems pretty similar from the previous editions. In 2001, the 4708 was the first edition, until in 2004 where TLG has released 4758 and a motorised 10132 which is very similar with the earlier 4708. The main differences lie with the amount of minifigures and its supporting surrounding elements.

Coincidentally, the 4841 is now known to have the highest amount of minifigures made available without a train platform or station but now includes a flying car. To me, I think this is a very good promising start. :sweet:

The Hogwarts Express is the name of the train that brings Hogwarts Students in London to Hogwarts Castle. The train stops at London, King's Cross Station Platform 9¾ and made its way to Hogsmeade Station. In this set, the trains comes with a train engine, cargo wagon, passenger car and a flying car that will provide a positive magical building experience.

6 numbered polybags with train base and parts

4%7E17.jpg

Instruction manuals

12%7E9.jpg

Hogwarts Express Sticker Sheet

11%7E9.jpg

I never really fond of using stickers as it will show signs of peeling over the course of time. This sticker sheet encompass the decals of the Hogwarts Railways pointing their destination to Hogwarts Castle. At the right side of the sticker sheet, you will notice 3 cases that store the magical brooms and one of them seems very dear. Then, you will have the engine measurements and the trolley cart featuring Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. This is a much clearer image obtained from BrickLink.

The main cast

7%7E16.jpg

In this set, we will be seeing the exclusive brand new Harry Potter minifigures. Introducing from left to right, we have Luna Lovegood, Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy. All of these characters' names are adapted from the author, J K Rowling.

Apart from the main cast, I felt this set needs an additional person and it could definitely be a train staff. He/She can be a train conductor or train engineer. Apparently, there is no one else onboard to keep law and order or to pilot this train to Hogwarts. Oh well, previous editions don't have such minifigures and it appears TLG is focusing more on creating individualistic Harry Potter characters which isn't a bad thing, but to me this is quite a minor flaw.

However, all of these minifigures inside this set are exclusively unique and could not be found in any other sets. That is very incredible. :thumbup:

Back printings of all minifigures

8%7E15.jpg

All of these minifigures come with detailed back printings. It's extremely uncommon to see a set with such good amount of minifigures to have back printings. Oh, don't mind the creepy looking dual expression of the minifigures. I did it out of convenience. :blush:

The lovely ladies

9%7E14.jpg

I really adore both of these beautiful ladies. Their expression are priceless and for myself I liked the Luna character very much, especially with her pink and blue starry skirt. Oh, in case you are wondering what is her original expression, she is actually wearing a glasses that comes with the Quibbler edition. Do note that the current Quibbler edition does not come with those glasses. She appears in the movie for the first time inside the Half-Blood Prince. Thanks Clone O'Patra for this small little tibit. By the way, I can't ascertain for sure if that hairpiece actually came from the Series 1 Cheerleader production line.

Ginny in her Gryffindor uniform is nicely designed as compared to the previous edition. Her new hairpiece acts alot of punch into her character personality, making her looks like one. Of course, her current expression above looks quite taunting and telling others not to mess with her. I wonder why I don't have a shy expression of her when she is beside Harry.

Luna bonus image

63~0.jpg

The suave gentlemen

10%7E11.jpg

Among the 3 gentlemen, oh well, I won't consider Draco as one, so it should be 2. Harry is wearing in his typical dark blue jacket, whereas Ron is wearing the nice looking red tartan vest. Personally, I really like Ron's torso very much. I can't help but to wonder if this hairpiece has appeared for the 4th time in a different colour. Then again, I am welcoming this new colour as this male hairpiece is one of my favourite. As for Draco, he is still wearing his crafty Slytherin uniform and his new hairpiece is very charming indeed.

Building of Packet 1

5%7E16.jpg

I must admit that the best exciting part of building this entire set could lies in the first packet. First of all, all of the minifigures are placed in this packet, while other highly sought elements such as the new printed owls, invisibility cloak, printed newspaper tiles, etc. Let's move on to cover this packet in greater detail.

I love these 2x2 printed tiles

13%7E6.jpg

It's just so amazing to see both highly detailed tiles where it featured the Daily Prophet on the Mass Breakout from Azkaban, while the Quibbler is talking about Harry Potter. I will love to have more of these and use it for a newspaper stand. While, the other 2 magic star wands are some useful additions, especially the uncommon pink Belville star wand.

The new printed Harry Potter owls

61%7E0.jpg

The 3 owls with beautiful prints simply takes my breath away. Unlike the dull plain single looking colour, seeing these new owls made me felt very refreshing. I have some nice ideas for these owls. By the way, do you know which owls belongs to who? No prizes for guessing it right. :tongue:

The trolley cart

15%7E6.jpg

The trolley cart sells many popular confection such as the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and Chocolate Frog where each random packet contains a collectable trading card. Don't you find this concept pretty familiar?

What can the invisibility cloak do?

16%7E6.jpg

The invisibility cloak is a magical garment which grants the user to become invisible. Harry Potter was seen sneaking up on Draco Malfoy by using the invisibility cloak in the Hogwarts Express during the fifth year in the Order of the Phoenix Half Blood Prince movie. Eventually, Draco discovered Harry and he was in for a nasty surprise. Thanks Rapseflaps for letting me know the right terminology.

Will he succeed?

17%7E6.jpg

The complete section of Packet 1

14%7E6.jpg

Building of Packet 2

18%7E5.jpg

Having those numbered packets really helps alot in saving my time to sort and knowing what I am supposed to build. For this packet, I will be touching on the enchanted Mr. Weasley's Flying Car, otherwise known as the light blue 105E Ford Anglia. This car was enchanted by Arthur Weasley to make it possible for the car to fly and turning invisible.

This 6-studs unconventional vehicle design mainly made of light blue and grey parts. Even the uncommon windscreen is very much suitable for a 6-studs wide design.

Building progression

24%7E3.jpg

Completed model with remaining spare parts

23%7E3.jpg

Mr. Weasley Flying Car

25%7E2.jpg

The overall design is very much pleasing with the exception of the wheels and the mudguard. I find the space to be a little much wider than what I expected. Take a look at this first edition of the Flying Car from the 4728 Escape from Privet Drive review done by Inconspicuous. The earlier car does not have such wide gaps or tall built, unlike this version. However, I do like the front of this current design but personally, I felt the first edition was better.

Boot cover

28%7E1.jpg

This is the boot cover where the baggage and owls are placed in there. Do note that the boot cover is quite loose if you mishandled it. It tends to drop off easily.

Front view

29%7E1.jpg

Harry and Ron are ready and set

31%7E1.jpg

Off they fly!

32%7E1.jpg

Building of Packet 3

33%7E1.jpg

Now, we have finally gone to the start of building the red train engine. In packet 3, the parts are meant for building the base and half of the train engine exterior.

Completed section with remaining spare parts

34%7E1.jpg

Building of Packet 4

35%7E1.jpg

Continuing from Packet 3, Packet 4 is required to finish up the rest of the train engine. Among the parts in the pile, the notable iconic 5972 Hogwarts Express logo is actually a printed radar dish. This is a very nice decorating element.

37%7E1.jpg

Once everything is put together, you are able to see the entire train engine without stickers, of course, in its symbolic black and red theme. At this point, I asked myself a question and I am not experienced enough to answer it on my own.

Train Experts, is it possible for us to use PF (Power Functons) to modify and enhance the capability by introducing such features to enable it to move like other LEGO powered locomotives. I had not tried doing so, but I hope it's possible, because this is such a nice steam locomotive which I could easily introduced it to my Town Passenger Rail Lines one day.

Another thing which I noticed was the usage of magnets to hold the carriages together with the support of the front and back of its train buffers. I can't help it but wondered if the magnets could possibly de-magnetise over the course of time, and if that's the case, is there any solution to resolve it? I am really thinking out of the box, hoping to learn a thing or two about this new feature which was introduced in very recent trains like the Emerald Night. At the same time, I hope I can make a right assumption that this train can be supported onto flexi railway tracks.

Side view of the Train Engine

38%7E1.jpg

Front view of the Train Engine

39%7E1.jpg

This is the fuel that runs the train

41%7E1.jpg

Although the train does not requires any steam technology to fuel the train, but I suppose it still needs the driver to shove coal into the boiler to keep it running, or at least to convince others that this is a steam locomotive.

Push the tray inside

42%7E1.jpg

Bottom view of the Train Engine

43%7E1.jpg

Top view of the Train Engine

44%7E1.jpg

Building of Packet 5

45%7E1.jpg

Packet 5 contains such a small content. Can you guess what it is? It's actually the Cargo Wagon.

46%7E1.jpg

By including the train wheels together, you will form a complete Cargo Wagon and what does this wagon supposes to store? It keeps the passengers' baggages and their prized magical broomsticks inside Packet 1. It is a simple and effective design and judging from the image below, it appears the conductor will just dump everything in there.

Side view of the Cargo Wagon

47%7E1.jpg

Front view of the Cargo Wagon

48%7E1.jpg

Opens the top and you can placed your baggage and cargo in there

49%7E0.jpg

Bottom view of the Cargo Wagon

51%7E0.jpg

Building of Packet 6

52%7E0.jpg

Now, we are up to the very last packet and it's very much anticipating for train builders. Many train builders yearn for a passenger car and normally passenger cars come in limited quantity on a per set basis. So, in this case, I am very much suspect or felt that online traders or merchants could like take this single packet 6 out of the set and sell it as a separate. To the buyers, do note that a single packet 6 will allows you to construct an additional passenger car that can be added to your Hogwarts Express.

Completed section

53%7E0.jpg

This red enclosed passenger car is just splendid. It comes with furnished interior and seating. You could simply removes the black rooftop and place your minifigures inside. I am really very tempted to get an additional passenger car. It could make the whole Hogwarts Express looks much complete than before.

Lift the top roof

55%7E0.jpg

You can place 4 minifigures inside this Passenger Car and allowing them to enjoy some sweet desserts.

Close up view of the Passenger Car

54~0.jpg

Luna is sitting comfortably enjoying her ice cream

56%7E0.jpg

The entire Hogwarts Express

57%7E0.jpg

Wait for us!

58%7E0.jpg

This is one of the most enjoyable Harry Potter train sets ever!

60%7E0.jpg

To conclude, this is the most amazing and enjoyable Harry Potter train building experience ever. I am really feeling very excited with the minifigures. By far, those minifigures are really amazingly detailed and you will have to hold onto your hands to feel it. Furthermore, with some of the printed elements, it made the deal even sweeter.

Perhaps for those Harry Potter collectors who own the earlier train editions could find this repetitive, but trust me the overall appeal and experience is definitely very different in terms of value added experience and factors. I wished this set could be supported by power functions though. Nevertheless, I highly recommend all collectors who enjoys a Harry Potter magical experience to grab this into your collection before its discontinued and lives to regret. I am even considering to buy a second set to keep. :wub:

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Very enjoyable to play but it will be even better if it includes Power Functions.)

Design: 10/10 (For my very first time to build a train, I love this design very much plus those amazing detailed minifigures.)

Price: 8.5/10 (Reasonably priced but it could be better if its slightly lowered in my country.)

Overall: 9.2/10 (Highly recommended to get this entire series or at least to get your favourite minifigure.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Great review as always from you 'WhiteFang' ! :classic:

I call this one great, not awesome.....why you may ask ? Simply the train, the train wheels....heck they were able to use proper train wheels on that TS3 set.

Anyway, it's on the shopping list (really for the figures and flying car).....I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

For me, this set is the largest disapointment in this years Harry Potter wave. OK, the minifigs are really nice and the car is nice addition, but I think that they missed some very good oportunities here.

First: why not use new large train wheels? I can understand why they were not in previus editions, but now LEGO is producing them in red and black and I really can't understand why they were not used. I think that they are even cheaper to produce then normal train wheels, because they don't have steel axles.

Second: ok, even if we forget about large train wheels and go with normal ones: why the train was not adapted to allow motorisation with PF parts. Yes, it can be done easily wit PF train motor, IR reciever and new battery box, but why not include that in instruction and advertise it? There could be additional section in instructions for PF conversion and I think that many fans (like whitefang) would be happy very to motorise their train.

Third: why keep the same boring design as previous editions. What I dislike most is no undercarriage other than wheels on either locomotive and wagon and that , almost irronicaly, there is mudguard for large middle wheel, even if it's not there.

Fourth: where are train doors? I thought that we were past that with emerald night, but this year's trains are also all without doors. It would only take a couple of hinges and fer bricks (like on EN)

Too bad. I had such high hopes for this train...

Wonderful review, Whitefang! Glad you've enjoyed the set! :classic:

If I did not own the very first Hogwarts Express I'd be quite tempted to get this version. I think that the minifigure selection, inclusion of the Ford, and the accessories (owls, I'm looking at you) really make this a nice set and greatly enhance playability. While the train itself does not really bring anything new to the table, it is at least a bit more refined than previous versions. We also need to remember that it have been a number of years since the previous incarnation, and that TLC would want to capitalize on those who don't yet own a version of the train.

Thanks again for the review!

Thanks for the review! The set looks very good, only in my country, the price is 90 euro's, wich is way overpriced. Thanks for the review anyways.

In Finland it costs 100 euro's, in some shops even 120 euros... but that won't stop me from getting it, especially after reading this review! :thumbup::cry_happy:

Great review. I have the Express sitting beside me waiting to be built (gotta finish my Hogwarts Castle first :) and I agree that its a GREAT set.

Really nice review. :classic:

I love that car! Its not as good as the last one, but its still great! :thumbup:

I hope I will be able to motorize with PF when I get it next week! :cry_happy:

Great review! I already own the original Hogwarts Express train, so I don't really see the point of buying this one. I do want those minifigs though :classic:

The reason why there's no conductor or engineer is because it's a "magic" train. There should, however, be somebody pushing the cart or maybe a professor or something. I guess they expect you to buy the other sets for that.

Great review, WhiteFang! ) :thumbup:

It's only yesterfay that I have built that set, and I totally share your sentiments. It's a great set, actually one of the few I applied stickers to! :laugh:

I also bought another set to keep fgor now. ) The figures are just amazing, very useful for my customs! :laugh:

Thanks again for such a great review! ) :wub:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

For me, this set is the largest disapointment in this years Harry Potter wave. OK, the minifigs are really nice and the car is nice addition, but I think that they missed some very good oportunities here.

I know exactly where you're coming from... I feel very much like you do about it, but not having a large collection of HP myself (although I do have an earlier Hogwarts Express), I think I will get this anyway... I don't have most of the minifigures or the car.

First: why not use new large train wheels? I can understand why they were not in previus editions, but now LEGO is producing them in red and black and I really can't understand why they were not used. I think that they are even cheaper to produce then normal train wheels, because they don't have steel axles.

Second: ok, even if we forget about large train wheels and go with normal ones: why the train was not adapted to allow motorisation with PF parts. Yes, it can be done easily wit PF train motor, IR reciever and new battery box, but why not include that in instruction and advertise it? There could be additional section in instructions for PF conversion and I think that many fans (like whitefang) would be happy very to motorise their train.

Third: why keep the same boring design as previous editions. What I dislike most is no undercarriage other than wheels on either locomotive and wagon and that , almost irronicaly, there is mudguard for large middle wheel, even if it's not there.

Fourth: where are train doors? I thought that we were past that with emerald night, but this year's trains are also all without doors. It would only take a couple of hinges and fer bricks (like on EN)

I feel the same way... I really don't know how to vote on this topic. Compared to the previous trains, I think it's a lot better... but that's not saying much. I understand where TLG is coming from, but as both a train fan and HP fan, $100 Emerald Night style + HP minifigures and a few extra = $130 to $150 set that I would be a lot happier with. What I will probably end up doing is buying a couple of these - one for the LEGO build, and one to use with a Ruby Night modified Emerald Night so that I get the figures and stickers... and a lot of extra train parts that will be useful.

Yes, I have a mental condition that won't allow me to buy a set and not do the "real" build (although I allow myself minor MODs sometimes), so I need to buy two or more so that I can MOC and MOD it. Yes, OK, I have issues. *huh*

As for WhiteFang - thanks for the great and detailed review, they are always appreciated before buying relatively expensive sets. I'd already decided to get it, and I'm not surprised at all by the review, but it's always nice to see the pictures and see any little details we may not have known before (I'm glad for the two sided Luna head... I hate the side with the glasses). I wish the car were a bit nicer, and since you gave the link to the old set, I am now sad I don't have an Uncle Vernon figure. :sad:

Since owning the Emerald Night, any other lego steam train that lego makes looks poor to me. The engine to me just does not look correct for some reason.

Nice work! :thumbup: Would you mind putting Luna's torso on these legs? Ever since I saw her torso I thought that it would go well with the legs. Thanks.

Lost opportunity. That's not a train, that is a bunch of bricks on a plate. It wouldn't have been hard to add some of the large train wheels onto a brick built technic base, would have been far better looking.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I don't want to start a discussion, but to all those who consider that set to be a bunch of red bricks, I'd like to tell that HP sets (and I got them all recently) assembled in reality look much better than on the pictures. Frankly speaking, I do not know why. Still lots of good figures and overall nice shapes as well as loads of fine assesories make those sets very appealing once assembled. ) Sorry for cutting in.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Great review, not so great set though, if you ask me. The minifigs are great, and it's true the train looks better than the others as well, but next to a set like the Emerald Night, it really lacks something (and considering it has less parts and is £10 more in the UK), that's not right. I get that it's a licensed set, but still. If it was £50, It would be more reasonable, not £80.

Just my two cents, I'll no doubt buy this set anyway, just to complete my collection. Darn OCD!

What puzzles me, is how to place this in the Harry Potter world. The blue Ford Anglia only appears in the 2nd book (okay, film), right? But the Ginny we see here is not the timid child from that book. Luna Lovegood had no role yet. And those newspapers also seem to come from different books. Why did they mix it all up?

What puzzles me, is how to place this in the Harry Potter world. The blue Ford Anglia only appears in the 2nd book (okay, film), right? But the Ginny we see here is not the timid child from that book. Luna Lovegood had no role yet. And those newspapers also seem to come from different books. Why did they mix it all up?

I think it's because this way the set could be used in more books than just one -adding to the usefulness and playabiltiy.

Good review. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

While this is a nice set with detailed (imprinting) in the owls, paper, etc. I cannot see myself shelling out $80 on a set that I bought 9 years ago. While I am a huge train fanatic when it comes to LEGO, I have not been impressed enough to buy a second OR third Hogwarts Express as the design hasn't changed significantly.

WhiteFang, to answer your question about the ownership of the owls. The white one belongs to Harry, grey to Ginny/Ron and the brown to Draco.

I may be mistaken, but I think the car does show up (even if only briefly) in later movies... or maybe in the last book.

I may be mistaken, but I think the car does show up (even if only briefly) in later movies... or maybe in the last book.

As something of a Harry Potter nerd I can tell you that the car actually only appears in the Chamber of Secrets, it was something JK said she forgot to include in the last book. But beside I think most of these sets are designed to be amagalgams of all the books/movies.