Carbohydrates

MOC: Western Saloon/Hotel

indexed.gif

I posted this up in LDD form a while ago and ended up actually building it in July, I believe. I never got around to posting it because I didn't love how the photos came out, but at the same time, I don't really have the means to re-shoot it right now, so I hope this will suffice!

Original LDD plans:

asal001.jpg

The real deal:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

"How'n the hell do we BOTH have a full house, kings over aces? AGAIN?!"

As you can see, the saloon utterly dwarfs the official LEGO western sets in scale. I attribute this to the lucrative nature of alcohol sales.

t001.jpg

t002.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by I Scream Clone

Wow! It looks 1000x better than LDD. I love the interior! The shiny coins give it a cool ambiance! :thumbup:

Just AWESOME 'Carbohydrates' and the interior of the bar itself - oh, too much.....don't shoot me I'm just the piano player ! :grin:

The detail in brick is fantastic and I wonder whats going on up stairs ? :devil:

Great work 'Carbohydrates' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Hello!

It's great to see Western is alive, and this nice growing town here. :classic: The letters are particularly great and give it right western town feel. I also like the rounded veranda on the first floor. :classic: The use of log bricks in SNOT way also suits the house very well.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I agree that it looks much better in the real brick, though the initial attention to detailed applied in LDD has lead to this great Saloon. :thumbup: Lots to like, not just from the writing, but also the action inside the Saloon helps bring it to life, so to speak.

Awesomazing. :D

I love the use of the tan squiggy whatever-they-may-be tree like pieces. They work so well for the walls, congrats! :D

Looks great! I must say that this is one of the better Western MOCs that I have seen. A lot of great details packed into one very large structure, I really like the 45 degree doors. Keep up the great work!

Great work, Carbohydrates. :thumbup:

I prefer seeing this in real bricks it looks so much better.

An outstanding MOC, with lots of detail and a nice interior with a nice bit of action packed inside. :classic:

I really like the colors you've used, they look great together.

the Inventor

That's a completely amazing Western MOC, Carbohydrates! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks absolutely realistic and the exterior as well as the interior details are stunning! :oh:

If TLG released something similar to that, I immediately would buy it!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As you can see, the saloon utterly dwarfs the official LEGO western sets in scale. I attribute this to the lucrative nature of alcohol sales.

That's right but:

1. If TLG decided to release a saloon (which I really hope), then it would be not that huge (even not if it was an Exclusive).

2. Your saloon is two floors big and nearly all of the Western buildings TLG released until now were only one floor big. So it must be bigger and so even look bigger.

Although it's much bigger as the official WW buildings, your saloon fits excellently in Legoredo! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Yeah I actually remember this when you posted the LDD, and Wow, it just looks incredible in real bricks! It really captures the whole Ol' Western-style Saloon atmosphere with the very nice lighting. Great work Carbo! default_thumbup.gif

This is one of the nicer digital models I've seen and the physical version is even better. I absolutely love the SNOT work in your MOC. The SNOT really gives the MOC a texture that you don't quite get from the digital design. I hope to see more of your designs in the future.

Keep it up.

The fact that you decided to go against conformity by building larger serifed letters for the Hotel signboard makes good design great. These, along with the door/lanterns set 45` and the dusk light that lingers through your photographs, could not better suit the mood.

Well done, sir.

Just AWESOME 'Carbohydrates' and the interior of the bar itself - oh, too much.....don't shoot me I'm just the piano player ! :grin:

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on the furnishings, especially on the lower floor. There are a lot of details that are hard/impossible to see in the photos I've got, such as the details of the bar and the blackjack table, so I may have another go at capturing those.

It's great to see Western is alive, and this nice growing town here. :classic: The letters are particularly great and give it right western town feel. I also like the rounded veranda on the first floor. :classic: The use of log bricks in SNOT way also suits the house very well.

The lettering was made very early in the build, which forced me to build around it, making it a focal point of the outside of the building. I tend to MOC that way - do the most difficult or important parts of the build first. The rounded bits turned out to be a gigantic pain, especially because the upper balcony is entirely tiled, and there are no 1x1 dark brown tiles, but it worked itself out. The sideways log bricks were something I've wanted to do on a Western building for ages, but I just never got around to trying it.

I really like the colors you've used, they look great together.

Funny thing about that, this isn't the original palate. For about half the build, I was designing it in dark brown with dark green accents, until I realized that there is no dark brown 1 x 1 round brick! I mocked up a few variations in different possible colors and ended up going with tan, and I think it's a better choice in the end, since all the brown would have been dark and overwhelming. I did leave the dividing wall on the top floor dark brown as an homage to the original design, though.

That's right but:

1. If TLG decided to release a saloon (which I really hope), then it would be not that huge (even not if it was an Exclusive).

2. Your saloon is two floors big and nearly all of the Western buildings TLG released until now were only one floor big. So it must be bigger and so even look bigger.

I didn't even plan for it to be quite this big! It just sort of built itself that way once I started working on it. It's large, but I really like its proportions.

Looks great! But the beds don't look very comfortable... :tongue:

Oh, if you knew how much time I spent on those stupid beds... It's hard to see in the photo, but the dark green is only trim around the headboard. The bulk of it is brown. Sometimes, I spend too much time working on unimportant and relatively unnoticeable details like that.

The fact that you decided to go against conformity by building larger serifed letters for the Hotel signboard makes good design great. These, along with the door/lanterns set 45` and the dusk light that lingers through your photographs, could not better suit the mood.

I love the serif letters. They're imperfect, spaced just a little off and some are 'heavier' than others, but I love how much they look like a proper old-West font with overly large serifs (I'm an English major so I care about these things :tongue:). The lanterns were an afterthought - I borrowed them from a previous MOC and they actually obstruct the upstairs door from opening, but hey, they look ace!

Thanks for all your time, comments, and kind words, everybody!

Awesome, the outside is nicely detailed and beautifully designed.. inside is a little cramped but then again, what lego set doesnt have that problem.. great work, shows what kind of results you can get with the LDD. keep up the great work!

The bandits with the detonator on the dynamite is a nice touch, and saloon is great!

That fits right in. (Okay like you said its a bit big. :tongue: ) But still its great!

Edited by Masked Builder

Hey, that's fantastic! Always loved the Western theme. :thumbup:

Reminds me of historic Deadwood in the Black Hills of South Dakota (Knowledge and insomnia courtesy of History Channel :grin: )

Love the building techniques used here, especially the curved streamline balcony, and the detailed interior. Oh, and the little green stripe in the wood above the bar, and the railing underneath it.

On a side note, it looks like the Saloon might provide better defense than the fort. :wink: