HJR-Holland

Review: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hey folks!

Just received the 10212, and being home late, I wasn't able to start building yet, and for now can only comment on the box and its contents.

4948909127_58b2826308_z.jpg

4949498984_4c5132b1b9_z.jpg

4949499320_aa928f213a_z.jpg

4949499972_9c72a8341b_z.jpg

The box is big, but really filled up to the max with many (not numbered) bags, 4 (!) instruction manuals, and a sticker sheet which, being loose in the box, was badly wrinkled...

4948910757_d40bffdfd6_z.jpg

Below are the pages with the individual parts. Tomorrow I'll provide a full building review :)

4949501184_5ce14d32b2_z.jpg

4948911933_6304e54f58_z.jpg

Please check here for bigger images!

Wow, so many replies, and I haven't even started yet!

First, the rough details:

4712838654_4a96841fb6.jpg

Item: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

Pieces: 2503

Minifigures:

Darth Vader

Imperial Pilot

Imperial Officer

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight, no hood)

Stormtrooper

Price: US $249.99 / €259.99 / £219.99

Ages: 16+

Released: August 25 / 3rd September 2010

Theme: Star Wars / Classic / Ultimate Collector's Series

First thing when I opened the box? @$*#$, the stickers are wrinkled, and one is even loose from the sheet!! The stickers are just put in the box, and so completely crushed by the bricks during transport. *sigh*, now I have to call LEGO again for yet another problem with wrinkled stickers in a set...

4948912263_020853f8c2.jpg

In the meantime I moved on building the set. First up, the minifigs:

4954378854_c5cbb68823.jpg

That's Luke (not looking happy), Vader, TK1138, Imperial officer and Imperial shuttle pilot (not a hot blonde this time, a pity really :laugh: ) It was rather hard to spot who's who, as Luke's head wasn't as recognizible as he was in previous sets. Tip: he's the one with the brown eyebrows...

Do you with sharp eyes see what I directly noticed? Something shiny... Old school lightsabers! No more bluish grey or matte chrome, no! It's the real deal! Real chrome lightsabers! :wub:

4954379158_78981154fb.jpg

Building starts with the main hull. And for a Technic-n00b that's just about easy enough to handle. You build ground-up, jam in the Gears, and then build up until you get a full hull:

4953788141_1164cde5d2.jpg

Once that is done you basically cover the hull with plates and arched bricks, and it already looks rather good :classic:

4953788429_38affbffc0.jpg

The cockpit is built separately from the hull, and then you slide it into the hull. It is then connected to the hull by plates and bricks, which, as an EU fan, is a pity, as in star Wars EU the cockpit can separate from the hull and function as an escape pod:

Imperial%20Shuttle%20Lifeboat.jpg

4954380312_22ef01bb15.jpg

Then it's time to build the Dorsal stabilisers and you think "wow, this ship is going to be HUGE!". It is built with lots of beams, which thankfully do not have a lot of colour difference between them.

4954380616_5b44fab089.jpg

Once those are in place it's time to build the wings. As left and right are built in the exact way, I decided to build them both at the same time, which works perfectly, really...

4953789241_0874b54503.jpg

Once these are mde, there is no 'Ogel' imprinted in your thumbs, but round holes in pretty much all your fingers. Sturdy? Yes. Impressive? Oh yes. Painful to build? especially that...

4954381138_7ba5f0e006.jpg

Once the base is made (rather easily, it's time to show the world the shuttle:

4954381760_b229cef461.jpg

Looks good, doesn't it! I think the designer was from Sweden, as the set comes with two IKEA-styled keys which you use to open and close the side stabilizers. Poor TK1138, all alone outside the shuttle in the cold... Not quite sure what this extra minifig's purpose is in this set, I think he'll swiftly join his band of brothers for more exiting adventures...

4953790705_93b992d73f.jpg

Time for the jury report:

Design: 9/10 I think it's spot on. would like to have had the escape-pod function as a standard, but apart from that, I think it looks great!

Parts: 7/10 Nothing special to notice really. Even the pieces I found 'new' already appear in other sets...

Build: 8/10 Technic is not my thing, and building beams is different than building Bricks. I had fun though...

Minifigs: 7/10 Nothing special I'd say. Stormie is a bit odd as he can't fit anywhere. Luke looks rather unhappy, too bad both the pilot and the officer have the same face. Apart from that I'd say it's OK

Playability: 8/10 Wouldn't know, never play with sets. Closing and opening the side wings could be fun, but I was exhausted after several times. But then again, I'm not your typical IKEA customer... A 16+ will have lots of fun with it, I'm quite sure of that.

Price: 5/10 UCS sets are expensive. Star Wars sets are expensive. That makes UCS Star Wars sets very véry expensive. Period. For $249.99 / €259.99 / £219.99 you get a big set with many white pieces, some figs you already had, but nevertheless a great set with many nice details.

Overall: 44/60, which is not bad. I'm a big fan, so I'd buy it. But for parts and figs, you might want to shop elsewhere :classic:

Bonus picture: Mother Goose and her offspring:

4954044301_54d9edf593.jpg

For bigger images, please click here

I have been waiting for someone to review this! I can't wait till you show more pictures

How many stickers are there?

Whoa! The set looks impressive just by the mere sight of the huge box and the bagged contents. I can't wait for the full review. This wasn't in my buy-list, but I might have to pick one up soon.

Whoa! The set looks impressive just by the mere sight of the huge box and the bagged contents. I can't wait for the full review.

Yeah! The box is sooo pretty and shiny! :wub: That flash really helps :laugh:

Can't wait for the full review!

CF

I was at the Lego store yesterday and saw them but the box on the shelf though I didn't buy it default_hmpfbad.gif

Cant wait to see the review and then I will get it default_blink.gif

If I were in your position and I had the 'resources' to get it at that time, I would definitely have grabbed one, I wouldn't need to see a review.

If I were in your position and I had the 'resources' to get it at that time, I would definitely have grabbed one, I wouldn't need to see a review.

well the true story was I got the box down looked at it thought ill get it went and came back for only five minutes and came back it was GONE!

well the true story was I got the box down looked at it thought ill get it went and came back for only five minutes and came back it was GONE!

That's the 10212 Imperial Shuttle - "Gone in less than five minutes". default_tong.gif

That's the 10212 Imperial Shuttle - "Gone in less than five minutes". default_tong.gif

Well I think they had more in the back off the store so I will ask them to bring me out one then maybe I can review it :classic:

Just bought it from S@H. I have opened its page on Lego.com at least fifteen times today, but in the end I was able to set aside my conscience and to press that damned Confirm Your Order button :grin:

I just hope they will announce the next UCS as early as they can: 259 euros were a bit "too much" for this set... (stupid conscience, mmmggrrgr)

For the price I would expect printed monitors instead of cheap stickers! But I'm really looking forward to get my hands on this! Cheers!

Edited by marshal_banana

Must.. resist.. temptation.. budget.. ain't.. sufficient.. yet... :sing:

Thanks for sharing this review of a truly wonderful set HJR. But no thanks since the more I stare at the shuttle and the more I read your review, the more I'm tempted to prematurely buy this 'baby'...

Thanks HJR for reviewing this.

I've merged the review posts, so that it's all in the first post now.

A great set that I'm bound to buy.

Cool review! I saw this monster in person at the Lego store the other day. It is just gigantic, no pictures will do it justice. I won't be getting this set, but it is one of the best sets anyways.

Is it just me or does that shuttle pilot have boobs?

Course not! Just hugely, over-developed pecs. Tere's a fitness and training centre back there in the passenger hold... :laugh:

Great review though, thanks HJR. It is stunning; definately for keen collectors who love the Imperial Shuttle. The figures are a nice inclusion but don't add much as it's 100% about the model. I'd pick this up if I had the cash growing from a tree outside!

ordered mine from the states far cheaper than uk lol, if anyone wants the figs i will be putting them on bricklink, or maybe donate them to a moc contest on here??

Thank you for the nice review.

I shall not buy this set, but it looks quite good.