7595 Army Men On Patrol REVIEW

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

Vroom! The army men are going on a patrol in the jeep! All clear! Oh, wait! FOOT!!! The jeep swerves left, missing the foot by inches. The toys go stiff, as Andy's mom looks down. "How many times have I told him to pick up his toys..."

Set#: 7595

Name: Army Men On Patrol

Theme: Toy Story

Year: 2010

Pieces: 90

Minifigs: 4

Price: 10.99 USD, 13.90 EUR, 9.99 GBP, 14.99 CAD

Bricklink

Lego

Brickset

Peeron

Flickr Set

The Box

4313523255_15d3cd1940.jpg

First we have a nice, clean box, which seems to be the standard of TLC nowadays. The background is the floor, which is surprisingly effective. As for buyability, this set will definitely fly off shelves. Good job, TLC. Also, pointed out by Fugazi, the set has been released with the new style Toy Story Three boxes as well... Odd, isn't it?

4827570985_7d7c6ef327.jpg

Back, showing the basic features of the set, oh, wait! That's something new. No play features, just the minifigures and a scene with the set! Weird. No other sets of the wave either... Whoa, TLC, no free marketing space? Hmm.... Also, it has that horrible button-push packaging, which I absolutely cannot stand. Damaged boxes are useless boxes...

Instructions

4342113516_a32a48f6b7.jpg

GAH, folded instructions yet again! This really is a pain right around the middle of the build. Poor quality control, TLC. Other than that, good instructions. Very clear.

Minifigures

4860461979_98fdca7902.jpg

Full cast. Left to right,(named by me) Assault Trooper 1, Minesweeper trooper, Medic, Assault Trooper 2. Beautiful minifigures, which I will go more in depth in the next pictures. One thing I will say now is that the helmets don't look very good on any other minifigure. Stick with the customs.

4860466145_6f122ac975.jpg

Assault troopers 1 and 2, respectively. The accessories look Great in this green color. :cry_happy: The stands are interesting, and the helmets are okay. The prints are good for this figure, but not as good as you'd think for Army customs. That Green Neck just stands out far too much. It'd look like your army was full of aliens or something.

4861743028_6cb301b24f.jpg

Medic. The cross symbol looks great on the helmet. The briefcase with invisible medical supplies is a little loose, but bearable. Same torso as the rest of the troops. I would have preferred a different print.

4861125293_ba92f88710.jpg

Minesweeper Trooper. The metal detector seems rubbery, doesn't it? It kind of is, as well. Also, what does a trooper that's looking for mines need a set of binoculars for?

4861748908_aa98ec9b94.jpg

No back prints on these minifigs, but there is this lovely green backpack on the medic. I can imagine using it on a military MOC.

Army Jeep

4834988115_0c0b6b0b60.jpg

Profile. At first glance, it's very, um, cute. I guess that's what the designers were going for, but it's still a little odd translated into Lego. It's also very green, but, again, that is what the designers were going for. It's kind of small. Then again, it has some very usable parts.

4836598748_4cc824257d.jpg

Back. From this angle, it looks sort of... Plain. There's not much you can do about that, but it's still kind of annoying. I suppose you could MOD it with a more flattering back.

4834850969_2c7975a9fa.jpg

Another profile. Officially, there is only supposed to be one trooper seated in the jeep. But, if you don't mind a little awkwardness, two can be seated. It looks a little odd, but it can be done.

4861144321_29d6588c7d.jpg

Inside of the jeep. It certainly looks cramped! The trooper just barely fits inside, as long as he is wearing no gear. Another fits in the back.

Accessories

4855077927_9cfa4dbddb.jpg

Here are some very nice accessories. All in that purty green color. Metal detector, binoculars, radios, guns, and a stretcher. Good accessories to have lying around, but they lose some of their value as useful pieces becaus of the green.

4855702126_9ea2c55621.jpg

Close up on the stretcher. Nice looking, eh? I could use this in white, though.

Set In Full

4861777168_647ef7db1e.jpg

Hmm. Certainly looks fuller when it's all layed out, doesn't it? It looks great in green! The only thing that would make this better if it was released in different colors, like in brown or tan, to symbolize different factions.

The Final Verdict

Design: 8/10. The jeep is Very cute. It's still a little odd, but nice. It's kinda small.

Build: 7/10. Quick and easy, exactly as expected from such a small set. Whoa, deja vu... Still enjoyable. :classic:

Playability: 9/10. It's an army jeep with four army men. :wink: What do you expect? The only thing that would make this better would be some enemy army men.

Minifigures: 10/10. Absolutely beautiful! The helmets could use some work, but the torsos are nice. They're all so... green... Sorry :blush: .

Price: 7/10. 10.99. Not gonna price rant, Not gonna price rant, Not gonna price rant, Not gonna price rant...

Overall: 8/10. This, overall, is a great set. The minifigures are great, the jeep is cute, and the price is... Nevermind. Great set.

Parting Shot

4299101541_4f5f38e3ec.jpg

FOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!

Edited by cralegoboy

Another great review 'cralegoboy' :thumbup: - yes a great set to add to any Lego collection....so MOD'able.....some yellow hands and heads, then your city has an army to protect it against the 2011 police state ! :laugh:

True the jeep could be better, now that I would MOD shortly, but hey it's mean't to be a toy copy of a toy - but I don't remember TS1,2 or 3 having a jeep in it do you ?

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Nice job on the review. I know this set is hell to photograph, I had the same issue with my own review, but you did a decent job, and the last pic is funny. Keep it up!

:laugh:

Thanks, Oky. Yes, this set was sure a pain in the megablocks to photograph, but it was worth it in the end, I think.

True the jeep could be better, now that I would MOD shortly, but hey it's mean't to be a toy copy of a toy - but I don't remember TS1,2 or 3 having a jeep in it do you ?

Well, they had to put something buildable into the set, and the jeep is pretty good for what it is. Just be glad they gave us these in a battle pack type set and not, say, a $50 Bomber plane or something. :wink:

Good review, thanks! I just thought I would mention, regarding the box: I've seen this set now re-released in the UK with a 'Toy Story 3'-style thinner box and a white background. Actually some stores have both box styles. I wonder if any of the other first wave Toy Story sets have been redesigned in this fashion.

Thanks for that bit of Info, Fugazi! I did not know that they released this set in a new box. Odd, isn't it? I'll add the info to the review. Thanks a bunch!

Great review and congratulations on your well earned silver badge cralegoboy! :laugh:

I just got this set the other day along with the Toy Story promo at TRU and it is a pretty nice set. The minifigs were my main incentive for getting the set but the jeep was actually a lot more appealing to me in actuality than LEGO's official pictures. Although I am not really knowledgeable on minifig customization, maybe it be possible to somehow remove the green on the torso neck and then recolor it with yellow (or a flesh tone)?

Nice review! This is the perfect set for people needing some GREEN!

The UK price has gone down in price a lot now. Its about £7, which is quite a good deal, if you ask me, considering the local Toys R Us was selling it for £14.99 a couple of months back.

Nice review! This is the perfect set for people needing some GREEN!

The UK price has gone down in price a lot now. Its about £7, which is quite a good deal, if you ask me, considering the local Toys R Us was selling it for £14.99 a couple of months back.

Nice. I procrastinate getting this set. I like the army men. Very cute

Nice review and great photos considering the "colour diffuculties" involved!

I've hesitated about getting this set a few times as it's too green for the price to do anything else with. However, having read this review I think I will go ahead although being more of a military fan than a Toy Story fan it will be converted straight away to more "normal" colours with yellow heads & hands and with regular lights on the jeep.

The green neck I think will be OK on more regular coloured minifigs as it looks like a green t-shirt under the combats rather than green skin.

Cheers

Rog