Sign in to follow this  
tchuk-norst

to buy or not to buy magnets

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I am contemplating buying the magnet set with princess leia, c3po and ackbar in it you know for the leia figure but I was wondering if plastic was the regular lego or the cheaper chinese plastic?

Well, it is cheaper plastic, but it's gotten a little better, so I've heard. I'm very picky- so I can't stand having inferior quality figs in my parts bin. Also, they're pretty expensive.

But it's your choice. If you don't mind figs that are slightly different than others, and cost less than the set they come in, go ahead. They do tend to go on sale fairly often, too, so you might want to wait until then.

There is quite a noticeable difference in the quality of the magnet figs compared to regular ones, magnet figs are "slightly less shiny" than the regular ones. But if you're main consideration is cost, then the magnets are the way to go. Personally, I don't buy expensive sets just for the minifigs, I'd rather buy them off magnet sets, since I don't have that much 'resources' as other people.

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set. As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs. You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. :classic:

i've got this magnet set. the only fig i can compare is the c3po, that's the one i've got before. there is no noticeable difference. and imho, leia and ackbar are not cheap plastic. i had magnet sets before where, e.g. the royal guards, were really bad quality (chinese plastic).

in this case i'd say: go for it. it's certainly not a bad deal. 3 figs plus the magnet bricks is not a bad deal. buying expensive sets for the figs only is certainly more expensive.

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set. As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs. You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. default_classic.gif

I agree, I think this is a better idea. If you only want the Leia minifig then you could save a few more bucks buying at BL/ebay. But if you want some extra figs (Ackbar/3PO), then go with the magnet set.

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set. As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs. You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. :classic:

Bad idea. BL and ebay sellers sure take the ones from the magnet sets in most cases, even if they state it is from set xxxx.

About the topic: they are different but not bad. Even figures from the sets differ in quality and plastic from time to time. You never know.

Bad idea. BL and ebay sellers sure take the ones from the magnet sets in most cases, even if they state it is from set xxxx.

About the topic: they are different but not bad. Even figures from the sets differ in quality and plastic from time to time. You never know.

...and after shipping, the price would be more than if you bought the magnet set. (Seeing as the magnet set has two extra 'figs)

Ok so I see my BL/E-Bay idea was pretty much shot down. I do agree that if you don't care so much about getting the exact same quality and you obviously don't want to buy the Tantive for the Leia fig that the magnet set is the way to go. I am just bothered by the sometimes overwhelmingly apparent difference in quality in the magnet sets. I do hear it has gotten better but like many others here I work hard for my $ and want quality fot it. End of rant. I think that you should do what is best for you and your wallet my friend :wink: