Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

The Legend Of Mary Jane

indexed.gif

Hi all, its been a while since I last posted as have been busy decorating the house. All finished now, and ive been able to finish off my newest moc. So without further ado, I present Myths & Legends Part 2: The Legend Of Mary Jane!

4649904427_90d18a07ee.jpg

18 Year old Mary Jane lived with her father who owned the mill in her village. She was a free spirited child of nature, and he was a devout christian with a cruel unforgiving heart.

4649708123_09f969e24a.jpg

4649700455_ea7fd1be30.jpg

Like many girls her age, she took up the practice of herbs and potions. She would head to the grove of trees by the mill where she could practice her arts. Unfortunatly, a sickness swept through the villages livestock and the villagers were sure it was the work of witchcraft. Her father decided to follow Mary one day, as he had grown curious as to where she went each day. He followed Mary to the grove and caught her in the act!

4650321626_d9de8321b6.jpg

4649696891_ee027c006d.jpg

Mary pleaded with her father, but he could not be swayed. Even though Mary was guilty of nothing but mixing herbs and potions to help people, her father was convinced she was a witch, and that she was responsible for the sickness that had plagued the village. So Mary was taken back to the village under guard to be sentenced.

4650247002_91ab6cdd3d.jpg

4649623713_4b331492e3.jpg

The whole village was against her, and so there could be no other punishment in there eyes, than for her to be burnt alive at the stake!!!!!!!!!!!!

4650484230_4a24f6742b.jpg

"Forgive me father, for I have sinned!!!!!!!

Im a child of the air, im a witch of the wind!!!!!

My fingers gripped around my brain, no control my mind is lame!!!!

Im in the astral plain, I will never be the same, never never never!!!!"

Mary's ashes were buried amongst the grove, but her soul never did rest in peace!

The current site is now known as Loon Lake Cemetary and its an eerie place. A large stone at the entrance has all the names of those buried there, and Mary Jane Twilliger's name can be seen written there. It has become a popular place for drunken teenagers to go, thinking they are brave enough to survive the night and Mary Jane's curse. The place has had many mysterious deaths, so much so that a new book has been written all about the mystery of The place and the legendary Mary Jane. Who knows what to believe, but one strange thing is for certain, that carved into Mary Janes grave stone reads the words:

'Beware my friends as you pass by,

As you are now, so once was I,

As I am now, soon You will be,

Prepare my friends, to follow me'

4649808601_da8fa22fb0.jpg

Excellent diorama once again "DC". I really like all the plants and trees. You really thought about how to use every stud of space.

Wonderful village. The story is really good and your village is really detailed.

I hope to see some more :thumbup:

You have done a mighty.. no thats not the word what was it.... Oh yes i dont belive my eyes, you are master builder for sure unbelivible job once again, you surely overdid urself once again

Capain Becker

I know I have already commened on this on MOCPages, but I missed the great yellow flowers :thumbup: I may have a go at that myself.

Well done again on the myriad details.

ISC.

AWESOME MOC with a fantastic story of mistaken witchcraft and what a father would sadly do to his own child, I also find the spooky part also quite interesting - formula for a good movie, eh ?

The buildings and gardens are quite beautiful, how do you find the time 'Derfel Cardarn' - excellent work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Yes, this certainly deserves to be front paged. Once of the best MOC's I've seen in a long, long time. Top class. Period.

Excellent work Luke!

Poor poor Mary Jane, but you have done such a brilliant job of illustrating the story. So so so many great details, I love how each and every plant seems to get as much attention from you as the buildings them selves. The devils in the detail they say!

A very sad story, told by a beautiful, awesome MOC! Impressive like all your other creations! I love all the little details, and I guess you still find some new when you sit there and watch the display for a long time. :thumbup:

Do you keep them, or do you destroy them to build something new ?

Very impressive, the vegetation is very well done.

Kudos! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thankyou all for your great comments!

The build was actually started a couple of months ago and I got about halfway through but had to put it aside as we were getting the house decorated. I think the break helped when it came to finishing it off, as I had time to plan out the village scene at the front a bit better then what I would have originally done. I got the story from a song I had been listening to a lot, (for any Metal fans out there, check out 'Mary Jane' by Megadeth). It was only when I looked it up, that I realised that its based on a true story, and you can actually go and see her grave, although her gravestone with the legendary words has been removed and placed in the local museum because too many teenagers were starting to vandelize it. For anyone interested then try Googling 'Loon Lake Cemetary Mary Jane' and you will find some pages with info. There is some debate on wether she was burned or buried alive, and theres more evidence that leans towards the latter, but I chose the burning, as its much more of a large, interesting and fun scene to build. :classic:

For more and bigger pics please visit my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/

This is amazing! I'm checking out all of the awesome details. :wub:

Front-paged!

Thanks for the front page!

Did they even check to see if she floats before burning her?

I was very tempted to set up a scene with her being dunked in the river, but couldn't find a historical reference that mentioned this happening to her, so I decided not to. Maybe some witch dunking in a future moc!

Excellent work Luke!

Poor poor Mary Jane, but you have done such a brilliant job of illustrating the story. So so so many great details, I love how each and every plant seems to get as much attention from you as the buildings them selves. The devils in the detail they say!

Thanks Iz, and yes, I do try to spend a little time on the plantwork as it really helps in bringing country scenes to life.

A very sad story, told by a beautiful, awesome MOC! Impressive like all your other creations! I love all the little details, and I guess you still find some new when you sit there and watch the display for a long time. :thumbup:

Do you keep them, or do you destroy them to build something new ?

Thanks, I try to keep mocs that I can use for bigger displays, and I may use this for part of my Camelot project. Although, it takes quite a while and money to get the parts for these large mocs, so I cant keep them all, but I think I'd prefer to take them apart as then I'd always have lots of bricks to build bigger and better things!

Thanks again for the comments, and keep a look out for Part 3 of Myths & Legends coming sometime in the future!

Without doubt, this is by far the best, most beautiful piece of work I've ever seen!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us!

Edited by Renthicya

I was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint me :pirate:

It's an awesome MOC again. The house of Mary Jane is great with all the detail and all the plants make 'the nature' look very real.

Great job, can't wait to see the next part! :thumbup:

Like I said on Flickr, great job! :thumbup: The story comes better to it's right using a different layout on this forum. The diorama is wonderful and living with all the details and greenery. Everything looks great and the architecture, like always, is beautifully done in your own style. Keep up the good work! :classic:

All of the above! :thumbup:

But I must add, I love how you managed to build several scenes in the same MOC by using clever divisions like the houses, trees, etc in order to be able to photograph individual scenes without having the same characters popping up in a different scene in the background. Good planning, and a terrific build -- as always!

A beautiful piece of work... the landscaping is perfect, as are the buildings - it's just how I'd imagine a medieval village to be!! And then to top it all off an interesting bit of history, brilliantly told... excellent work!!

A really wonderful creation, Derfel Cardarn. :thumbup:

I really like your houses and all the nature :sweet: (those flowers make it nice and colorful).

The story your telling is also interesting and makes this moc even better.

the Inventor