Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Legendary Castle Sets

Favorite Legendary Castle Set  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Alll things considered, what is your favorite?

• 10000 Guarded Inn
    • 10039 Black Falcon's Fortress
    • 3739 Blacksmith Shop

gallery_174_95_163997.jpg

During 2001 and 2002, LEGO released three legendary castle sets. They included the first LEGO Legend, 10000 Guarded Inn, a second LEGO Castle Legend, 10039 Black Falcon's Fortress, and 3739 Blacksmith Shop designed by Daniel Siskind. While the Blacksmith Shop is not an official "LEGO Legend", because it was released around the same time and the fact that it was a fan favorite, I've included it as 'Legendary' set.

Given these three legendary castle sets, which is your favorite?

Discuss your thoughts of these Classic Castle sets.

I only own the original version of the guarded inn, but i'd really love to have all these 3 in their re-released verison. I voted for Black falcon's Fortress because i always wanted this set ever since i saw it first. The addition of the "living area" in form of the "tower" in the back is such a nice touch. Too bad there was not much interior in the sets back then, but that could be easily modded.

I think guarded inn is the best in my eyes. It was the first castle civilian set and had a great new maiden.

It was really full of detail

I had to vote for the Black Falcon Fortress as I own the set, it was my first set with minifig I got way back when!!

Still I've always wanted to have the Guarded Inn as a kid, everytime I had a catalogue I would ask my mom to get it ... never did!!

Now as an AFOL I wnat it even more, the headdress of the maiden is AWESOME!

Pirate

I like the Guarded Inn most because of the rare red wall elements and the medieval lady. However, it was not so easy to make a decision. Black Falcon's Fortress is also an amazing set with a nice yellow wall element.

Edited by legotrainfan

Guarded Inn,

I own 2 original ones. I think this is the best set lego ever created.

It has a clever design, It's fun to built and it looks realy good.

I had to go with the Blacksmith shop because thats the only set I have of the ones listed. I really would like to get the guarded inn.

This isn't much of a contest for me. BFF is easily my favourite of these sets. As a source of bricks, BFF is incredible with 12 corner wall bricks, a huge assortment of old grey and those 4 fantastic black 75 degree corner slope bricks. I have 12 copies of the BFF whereas I only own 3 copies of the Guarded Inn and Blacksmith's Shop. All of these sets are very good; one (the BFF) is absolutely incredible. Nothing in the previous Castle or current Kingdoms line comes close IMO.

Wow! That certainly is a lot of sets. I think a few of the Guarded Inn would have been particularly nice. One could have exteded the wall and structures.

I set up a little Pirate/Castle combo called Port Legend back when these sets came out. Let me see.. I think I can find the pictures...

close-up.jpg

water.jpg

Lighting up the Legendary Port:

portatnight.jpg

I may do some photo editing today.

---

This was really a hard choice for me in terms of the vote. I had to give it a lot of thought. While I am tempted to vote for the Blacksmith Shop because I liked that it is a civilian structure, I like the figs in the Castle. - One more vote Black Falcon's Fortress.

All 3 sets are fantastic. Despite this it was easy to place a vote for me. I only own the BFF from these, and what's more that was my and my brother's only bigger castle set in our childhood. We spent a lot of time playing with our two BFFs. This set brings back lots of memories.

A great thread and a very hard choice to make as all three are outstanding sets.

I have 10000 Guarded Inn MISB but I'd love to own all three.

I voted for Black Falcons Fortress as IMHO it's the best classic castle.

All sets are great, but I vote for 3739 because this is beautiful example of ordinary medieval life.

10039 Fortress also very interesting but i think it is more outpost than fortress because of it is size. (All lego castle are not two big. If they were big i am afraid how much will them cost).

This may be another discussion entirely, but why is it that LEGO can't seem to capture the charm of these Legendary castle sets anymore? The new Kingdoms theme does have wonderful figs, but the design is far from being legendary.

In addition, it really is unfortunate that LEGO stopped their Legend program. One set a year (esp. Castle) would have been awesome. The consolation was Medieval Market I suppose. Perhaps there will be more of these AFOL Castle sets.

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I voted for 3739 Blacksmith Shop.

Reasons for why not the Black Falcon's Fortress:

The Black Falcon's Fortress has an awesome architectual design, includes - although it's only a medium-sized Castle set - two horses and even six minifigs.

But firstly it is too small.

And secondly it includes no single room with interior. At least a treasure chamber, a jail and some sort of living room with a chimney, some seats and a table are for me a must-be-included in a good regular and esp. in an exclusive set.

Reasons for why not the Guarded Inn:

The Guarded Inn has an awesome architectual design, too, and includes even an excellent interior, one horse and - although it's only a small Castle set - four minifigs.

But here again, the building is too small.

And since it is an inn, a sleeping room is missing.

Reasons for why the Blacksmith Shop:

I must admit that the Blacksmith Shop looks partly a bit like a MOC.

But the quality is much, much better than the one of those imo ugly Factory sets from 2008.

A big plus is that there are two civilian minifigs included.

And the interior is amazing and there is a lot of it.

Plus it goes perfectly with the brilliant 10193 MVV.

Klaus-Dieter

These are all great sets, but Black Falcon's Fortress wins for me. It's such a lovely little castle. :wub:

Being an American, this was an easy choice. I have all three sets, but the Guarded Inn holds the fondest memories. It wasn't released in the US, and I discovered it while traveling Europe on a High School trip. I purchased it and brought it back with me... It completed my King's Castle, (original) Blacksmith Shop, Armory and guarded wall... The Black Falcon's didn't stand a chance even with their three fortresses...

I voted for the Guarded Inn. First of all I am a Crusader fan (Unfortunatly I was born in 1989... so when I was old enough to play with Lego Crusaders were gone). But the most important reason is the amazing tavern sign which is unique to this set. It is just fantastic.

PS:

@Teh Stud:

I heard rumors, that the Guarded Inn was not released in the USA, because it would support the consumption of alcoholic drinks... Are those rumors true?

Edited by josykay

I heard rumors, that the Guarded Inn was not released in the USA, because it would support the consumption of alcoholic drinks... Are those rumors right?

No - I purchased mine in the US (at least as a Legend).

A great thread and a very hard choice to make as all three are outstanding sets.

I have 10000 Guarded Inn MISB but I'd love to own all three.

I voted for Black Falcons Fortress as IMHO it's the best classic castle.

Though the BFF is a good-looking set, I'd have to say that 6086 was the best-looking classic castle set ("Black Knight's Castle"/"Dungeon Master's Castle")

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I voted for 3739 Blacksmith Shop.

Reasons for why not the Black Falcon's Fortress:

The Black Falcon's Fortress has an awesome architectual design, includes - although it's only a medium-sized Castle set - two horses and even six minifigs.

But firstly it is too small.

And secondly it includes no single room with interior. At least a treasure chamber, a jail and some sort of living room with a chimney, some seats and a table are for me a must-be-included in a good regular and esp. in an exclusive set.

Reasons for why not the Guarded Inn:

The Guarded Inn has an awesome architectual design, too, and includes even an excellent interior, one horse and - although it's only a small Castle set - four minifigs.

But here again, the building is too small.

And since it is an inn, a sleeping room is missing.

Reasons for why the Blacksmith Shop:

I must admit that the Blacksmith Shop looks partly a bit like a MOC.

But the quality is much, much better than the one of those imo ugly Factory sets from 2008.

A big plus is that there are two civilian minifigs included.

And the interior is amazing and there is a lot of it.

Plus it goes perfectly with the brilliant 10193 MVV.

Klaus-Dieter

I totally agree, which is why I also voted for the Blacksmith Shop.

I voted for the Guarded Inn. First of all I am a Crusader fan (Unfortunatly I was born in 1989... so when I was old enough to play with Lego Crusaders were gone). But the most important reason is the amazing tavern sign which is unique to this set. It is just fantastic.

That sign is my favourite part of The Guarded Inn set. LOL