Sign in to follow this  
koffiemoc

The former "Albion"

Ahoy all,

I'm new here on classic-pirates. Been around a bit in the neighbourhood, occasionally on classic-castle and as a reader of the many reviews on eurobricks. Most of my online time I spend on lowlug.nl, a not too big and very nice dutch lug.

Only recently I've built my first pirate mocs, with the Jolly Roger Contest on the Forbidden Cove as a trigger. This contest had all sorts of categories, and I tried my hand at first at some small stuff, a vignette and a custom fig.

But of course I had just had to build a ship. I've never had a classic pirate ship, but months and months ago I purchased on ebay hull parts, masts, standing rigging and sails. So all I needed was a good idea. Now I don't like to build a ship which looks overlarge or silly small compared to the figs and to the shipmodel it's supposed to be. I had to find a model which would be, on a 1:40 scale, about 16 studs wide and anywhere between 34 and 50 studs long (bowsprite not included).

Browsing the worldwide interseas I found an Italian building plan for a wooden model of a 18th century swedish coaster which fitted to this scheme, the Albion.

She had no guns, but I thought when it would be taken over by pirates who were looking for a replacement ship they sure would place some guns in it.

This is what I finally came up with: my first pirate ship moc ever, the former "Albion".

4436229833_b28a1bb444_o.jpg

pic+click=link

Mind you, now that I've tasted how sweet shipbuilding is like, it sure won't be my last one.

P.S.: I didn't find an introduction topic, let this be considered as my "Hello world" statement.

WOW! I love the ship. The sails and rigging look great. The bow is very interesting as well. I think I am going to take a closer look at that when I get a chance. She is very nice and welcome to Classic-Pirates!

Nice. The ship looks nice and solid.

The sails are however a bit off but still the ship is really good.

This is what I finally came up with: my first pirate ship moc ever, the former "Albion".

Wow, that is one incredible ship, especially because its your first :thumbup: How about some more pics?

P.S.: I didn't find an introduction topic, let this be considered as my "Hello world" statement.

You can introduce yourself here.

PS, this belongs in the MOC forum.

Edited by Ratshot

@Cdre Hornbricker: I've paid quite some attention to the bow. The bowsprite should be beside the bow, and attached with a sort of thick plate to the hull, as there's a lot of upwards strain on the sprite.

@Burman: sails (and rigging) were finished in a hurried rush, in order to make it in time before the contest's deadline. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it. I'll promise next ship will be better finished on this point.

@Ratshot: I don't have better photographs of her than the ones already published on flickr. But maybe I can take better ones in the next few days, before I take the ship to parts. Thanks for the link to the intro topic. I know i should've put this topic in the mocs subtheme, it was a mistake. I've reported it already to the admins.

Thanks all for the compliments.

Nice ship! The rigging looks a bit chaotic, but that might be solved by cutting the useless strings from the knots.

And it has some very nice details, like the 'horizontale capstan' (don't know what it's called in english), the small cabin and the white line in the ship.

The stern is also lovely and I like the 'sail plan'.

blogged.png <-- Expect it on our frontpage soon :pir-wink:

Wow, that's quite a beauty! I like the sleek look and the fact that it has a tiled deck :pir-wub:

I love tiles :pir-tongue:

I quite like the bow, interesting technique you used there... got some more pics? There are only 3 on Flickr...

-Perfectionist

Unbelivible ship man, i love the overall look and the tiled deck is also very cool,the ship sails are looking super. cant wait to see more of your ships mate :pir-classic: keep it up

Captain Becker

Smashing introduction to the pirates forum koffiemoc. :pir-sweet:

(I really enjoyed your Classic Town competition entry last year.)

I guess I should say this ship is very... unique

Something unseen, yet interesting

The overall structural design is fabulous!

Most definately the first topsail schooner I've seen made from Lego...

The rigging looks quite good, though its a little uneven

What kind of string is that though? It looks like rubber bands...

:pir_yoda:

Though the ship is rigged like a topsail schooner, the hull isn't like that. It's more a dutch/scandavian galeas, with its round bow ans square stern.

The tan string is artificial tendon, it's tough and a bit sticky. I had planned to use thin hemp rope, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the evening I had to finish the ship. I bought the tendon a while ago for sewing leather.

It turned out amazing, funny thing is this ship has the same rigging as the ship I've been sailing on this week.

Nice work on the bow as well. The white stripe is truely unique. :pir-cry_happy:

Job well done! :pir-sweet:

Great Work. Can't say much more, than the others. I like the rigging and the sails, I'm to clumsy with my hands for that myself ... the general look is great. Hope to see more in the future. Thanks for sharing!

W0W. That's a pretty good ship you got there. Is it a sort of brig or sloop? Anyways, 2 more things:

1. How many cannons does it have?

2. Could you please get more pictures of it from different angles? I'm dying to see more of it! :pir-wub::monkey: :)

-the Admiral

The tan string is artificial tendon, it's tough and a bit sticky. I had planned to use thin hemp rope, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the evening I had to finish the ship. I bought the tendon a while ago for sewing leather.

Artificial tendon? never heard of it...

Last time I went looking for string at WALMART, I saw some hemp string

:pir_yoda:

P.S. Nice windlass. Does it work?

Edited by the_green_avenger

The most ship-like ship I saw around here. :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by VAG

The most ship-like ship I saw around here. :thumbup::thumbup:

You bump a 1 year old topic tp tell us this? :facepalm:

Well, I'd suggest you keep looking around, you might find some even ship-likier ships than this (Cutty Sark has been shown here, the HMS Pickle would be another one), though I have to say it is a very nice creation and something else, let alone not another frigate

I somehow must have missed this one...

I think you've done a very nice job, it looks quite realistic! :thumbup:

The stern could use a little more detail and might look better in brown.

And I think the pirates would have placed the cannons on deck, rather then cramping them just under it.

But that's just my 2 cents. :pir-wink: