Calabar

[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD

10189 Taj Mahal (LDD 4.2 - Sculptures)

This is the largest commercial LEGO set by piece count.

LXF file.

taj_mahal2.png

ERRORS:

Replaced part 3680 with 4150

Collision error between parts 73983 and 2420 (Book 1 p22,p30)

Collision error between parts 6019 and 3795 (Book 2 p13)

Collision error between parts 44375 and 4081 (Book 2 p13)

Edited by ADHO15

You should probably update the index, seeing that there are many sets missing. :wink:

Index is updated until post #70

Soon we'll have a new update! ^___^

EDIT: index updated!

Edited by Calabar

I want to do the Taj Mahal, but it woud take up so much time that I'd have to use it in about a month's worth "Brick" updates. And there's only so many jokes you could do about a mausoleum in India. :/

and I don't know any of them.

Edited by Randal

I want to do the Taj Mahal, but it woud take up so much time that I'd have to use it in about a month's worth "Brick" updates. And there's only so many jokes you could do about a mausoleum in India. :/

I'm not sure I follow Randal. You do read the topic, right? And you did see that ADHO15 did the Taj Mahal just yesterday?

I'm not sure I follow Randal. You do read the topic, right? And you did see that ADHO15 did the Taj Mahal just yesterday?

Yeah. but that's him. I can't download the fun he had putting it together. =P

You legend :cry_happy:
Holy #?%#*# beeeeep #&%%? beeeeep

:laugh: Thank you for your comments, guys!

Yeah. but that's him. I can't download the fun he had putting it together. =P

I understand what you mean. If you are going to build it, a word of advice: don't make the top dome when it tells you to. Build the base, then the next square part up with the four domes on and then build the dome already attached. It was a real pain trying to put the complete dome on top. The model was so big it was very slow and it wouldn't line up properly. I had to rebuild it on top in the end. :wink:

yeah, i figured that early on. (I modeled my entire house to scale, every stud being 6 inches.) I'd show it, but it's on my HD that's toast. =(

Another day, another project.

6573 Creator Highway Transport.....

For now just book 1

6753_book_1_rear_view.jpg

6753_book_1_front_view.jpg

Red Car LDD file

Truck LDD file

More to come!

Edit:

Steering doesn't work because of missing parts (and illegal building-techniques).

Please give me some time for the finishing of book 2. I don't want to make it a race or so...

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Here are some more smaller sets:

7884 Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze

LXF file

batmans_buggy.png

ERRORS:

Incorrect/missing prints

Updated to LDD 4

8085 Freeco Speeder

LXF file

(for the updated version, refer to this post)

Edited by ADHO15

And here is the second part of today's adventures in LDD

6753 Book 2 wasn't that hard to do, so i added a few extra cars...

6753_book_2_front_view.jpg

6753_book_2_rear_view.jpg

Here's a little scene with the complete 6753 set with the 6743 Street SPeeder and the 4939 Cool Car added..

6753_6743_4939_scene_front.jpg

6753_6743_4939_scene_rear.jpg

And here are the LDD files:

6753 Trailer

6753 WhiteBlue car

and the extra's":

6743 Street Speeder

4939 Cool Cars

You got the Cool Cars spoiler on backwards, but this is frikin awesome! I've always wanted to see all the cars together, but in digital form is cool too :thumbup:

Edited by Calabar

Building in LDD is almost the same as regular building. It gives the same amount of fun, but saves you buckets of money!

Building in LDD is almost the same as regular building. It gives the same amount of fun, but saves you buckets of money!

That is a very interesting statement with a much more profound strategic impact than one might first think. You are touching in on stuff that I think TLG are thinking very deeply about right now. How will LEGO design look in the years to come? The engineering world moved to CAD 30 years ago, and haven't looked back. Will it be the same with LEGO?

There will be some limited impact. I know I build both MOCs and official sets using LDD. If they felt that it was an issue monitarily, they might think about putting codes on slips of paper to allow you access to their instructions database. Otherwise they could start charging people a nominal fee to download the instruction pdfs. It's probably why they're only allowing the publication of how to use the LU mod under very strict conditions.

On the other hand, as much fun as LDD is, it is still not as fun as building the actual lego bricks with your hands... And I think Lego knows this. The biggest advantage LDD has for me is the speed in which I can make my comics. I don't need to build whole sets all the time, I don't need to have a good digital camera and figure out lighting or tripod placement. (those of you with blurry lego comics... get a mini-tripod). I can suspend bricks in the air, make propellers look like they're moving... there's more, but I don't want to bore you any more than I am already. =B

Edited by Randal

That is a very interesting statement with a much more profound strategic impact than one might first think. You are touching in on stuff that I think TLG are thinking very deeply about right now. How will LEGO design look in the years to come? The engineering world moved to CAD 30 years ago, and haven't looked back. Will it be the same with LEGO?

Nooooo, never :wink:

The real bricks are too darn displayable, and the feel of construction is too thrilling. you're right that LEGO is thinking about it, and the only thing I can think where I would hurt sales through virtual building is: I may test out new parts virtually whereas before I might see a set with say, a 2x2 jumper plate and say "I bet I could make cool stuff with that" then the set is an instant must buy. Now I might see it say, "I wonder...", play with techniques virtually and only get the set if I decided I needed the part for a model I wanted to build and display.

so right, I used to need sets to experiment, now I may do the experimenting virtually and just get the sets for serious projects or display purposes.

and in that sense it's like using CAD software. I may design on a computer but the end goal is still having a physical product in the real world. Just like engineering. Will it turn out that way? Maybe, but it could never be a replacement.

also of note: I don't think I'd have the slightest clue where to start in LDD if I hadn't had a lot of real world lego experience. what bricks do I use to make the base of a model? building techniques and all. with all the parts in the library, I think I would be lost. even now I'm tempted to just yank out a bunch of decorative parts, where in the real world you have that limit of: decorative parts are the icing. I have a lot of regular bricks, slopes, plates, etc. so in real life I know that's what to use mainly. in LDD one can grab an infinite number of say, minifig baseball caps, say 'i wanna build something with a lot of these' and be stumped.

well this is getting abstract but basically there's a temptation to make poor building decisions and cripple your build because of total freedom if one isn't trained.

Pixar artists learn traditional animation before using the computer modeling and animation. Engineers in training take a course in pencil and paper drafting before going to AutoCAD (line based) and then probably to SolidWorks or Inventor (modeling).

The virtual tools are a privilege to people who already know what they're doing. There's no getting around hands on practice and learning the techniques if one wants to be successful.

I do think that we always will be building with Lego in it's fysical state, but you have to admit for testing and for learnig new buildingtechniques LDD is mighty handy.

There is one thing i do hope: TLG should make all the parts that we have in LDD-LU available for sale for us (AFOL)builders.

Let's wait and see.

And i do hope that there will be a smarter LDD available soon. The term "autoconnecting and autospacing" come to mind.....

In the meantime i will stay building with both fysical and virtual-Lego!

I'm not exactly sure whether this qualifies as an official set, but it did come from an official LEGO Idea Book, #697. It's still pretty cool though, so I decided to post it here for everyone to see.

I'm not sure what the official name of this model is, but it's the second Aquazone model in the idea book. Based on the cockpit shape, I have given it a preliminary name of "AquaPod."

aquapod_small.png

(click for bigger picture)

A 2x4x2 brick with studs on 3 sides would not connect to the 90-degree octagonal pieces (the stud cutouts were missing in those octagonal pieces) in the front, so I used different pieces to build the 2x4x4 brick in that area. In addition, there was an error in the instructions regarding the crystal placement (the 1x1 round bricks meant to keep the crystals away from the 3x3 angle plates are left out after the step in which they are inserted), so I had to work around that.

Aside from that, I substituted torso and face prints for close matches of real Aquanauts pieces, and there are no decorations on any of the tiles. I did decorate the slope inside the cockpit though (it may not be accurate, but I thought it was necessary).

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: This model loaded for me in LDD4 without any problems.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

There is one thing i do hope: TLG should make all the parts that we have in LDD-LU available for sale for us (AFOL)builders.

In the meantime I just use BrickLink. Now with the LDD Manager tool you can import all the LU bricks, transform them to BrickLink numbers and upload directly to BrickLink.

BTW, what is "autoconnecting and autospacing"?

And now for some more sets, this time from the Architecture theme:

21000 Sears Tower (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

sears_tower.png

ERRORS:

Missing print

21001 John Hancock Center (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

john_hancock_center.png

ERRORS:

Missing print

21002 Empire State Building (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

empire_state_building.png

ERRORS:

Missing print

21003 Seattle Space Needle (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

seattle_space_needle.png

ERRORS:

Missing print

Part 55676 cannot be flexed (p12)

21004 Solomon Guggenheim Museum (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

solomon_guggenheim_museum.png

ERRORS:

Missing prints

21005 Fallingwater (LDD 4.3.5 - Architecture)

LXF File

fallingwater.png

ERRORS:

Missing print

Enjoy! :classic:

Edited by ADHO15

I did Falling water also, but it was before the LU mod, so some of the pieces were off in color. That set is decieving, because it is small but there are a ton of little pieces and it took a lot longer than I had anticipated. (I was watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels at the time and I know there were several episodes that passed before I finished.)