Tyrant

Ideas for future Castle sets

First, I should say that I searched through several recent pages and I didn't come across a similar thread so if there is one could someone point me in the right direction.

So, we've seen what will be coming out later this year. It seems that Fantasy is over and we are going back to two human factions. Following the idea of the Future Star Wars ideas thread, I thought I would start this thread to see what people want to see down the road. Looking at the new Castle sets and some of the Star Wars sets (like the TIE Defender) it does appear that TLG listens to the fans (though we should have already known that, this is simply more proof) so threads like these will hopefully help get our wants and desires out there in case they are looking for them.

Me personally, I would like to see the following:

A Castle Creator set. A real one in the $50-70 range, not the small one from last year. There are a lot of ways to go with it. The first thing is, like the Creator houses, it probably won't have any figures. This will help it have a high piece count for it's cost. Beyond that, it could be just about anything that had lots of bley bricks. If it stuck primarily with bricks, there is no reason it couldn't be a small castle, a tower, a stretch of high border wall or outer castle wall, etc. I don't believe making alternate models will be difficult. It would be an excellent source of lots of bley parts. It could also be used as a place to get parts like roofing tiles that aren't easy to come by, like this one, hopefully in black or in bley for the structure itself. It would also be easy to finally release this piece in bley as well in a set like this. The set could serve as an intro to more detailed Castle building and could possibly feature limited landscaping as well.

Modular sets I like that the sets for this year appear to be going back to certain elements of the old formula. This element would, in my opinion, be something else to shoot for. It also ties into having a greater number of smaller sets. With a few modular sets, people would be able to add on to the larger castle or build a smaller castle by combining the modular sets. They may have to be exclusives (maybe S@H exclusives for that matter), but having sets like the Guarded Inn, the Blacksmith Shop etc again would be great. Their newer counterparts would take advantage of better design obviously, but the idea would still be the same. An assortment of these could add real flavor to a castle. It would also be someplace to have peasant/civilian figures.

Smaller sets This year's line up seems to taken on the idea that a number of small sets is a good thing and I am glad for that. We have a large castle and a mid range castle-type structure coming out. We also have an even smaller outpost type set. Now, just imagine if the large castle were modular and this set were as well. Then imagine that there were two sets in roughly this range and not just one. That would give us variety and a way to amass figures and parts. I know I am not the only one that can justify buying a number of small sets instead of one larger set. This way we get some bang for our buck and we can possibly build a small outpost or something out of it. Small structures would sell, I believe.

Figure packs I'm talking about sets like we used to have. They would come with 5-6 figures of various factions and be sold on regular store shelves (if possible). Now, early in the run you have the issue of which factions to include. I figure there are two ways to do this. Either have two sets, one Lions the other Dragons, or you open it up to any figures they still have the prints to make. If you go the second route, it would be nice for there to be a current and retro pack at the same time. I suppose the variant of that is to make updated vesrions of older factions but that might be cost prohibitive if they are only for figure packs.

Those are some general ideas of what I would like to see down the road. Here are some that are a little more specific.

Blacksmith Shop Every side needs something like this to supply arms. It could come with a blacksmith and an apprentice or two. It would need to have numerous weapons and racks for the weapons. A furnace area with water near by. It would also come with chest armor pieces. If these are printed, it could come with some for both factions that way you can choose which side they are on. Maybe a soldier for each side so that one can act as the guard no matter which side you choose.

A Jousting Tournament set I'm thinking a lot more like 6060 Knight's Challenge than the more recent set. This would have one or more royals, possibly a civilian or two, and some stands to fill out. The two horses would have barding and there would be a variety of weapons for the knights. We're likely going to get something like this at some point so I figure it would be nice if it were a little more like this one than the most recent one.

Trade Caravan This would have multiple wagons (well, at least 2 anyway) loaded up with goods, jewels, or gold. They wouldn't have to be big wagons. Each could be driven by a peasant or merchant type. There would be a couple of soldiers to defend them and a couple to attack. We're going to get wagons so we may as well get decent ones that might give us civilian figures.

An Armored Wagon/Carriage This would be a larger, armored wagon for the king of one side or the other (or some other member of the royality). it would probably be a two horse wagon and it would be enclosed. It would need a driver and at least 2 soldiers as guards. Again, if we're going to get wagons we as may as well get some variety.

Small Ships I'm thinking ships like the Sea Serpent on this one. They add a little variety to the constant stream of siege engines. It would also possibly lead to a small dock set of some type or perhaps a sea side castle.

Edited by Tyrant

I like your ideas.

Especially the minifig packs, and the castle creator sets or just more sets as high quality as the Medieval Market Village. If possible some sort of accessory pack for minifigs. Like extra weapons, armor pieces, helmets, heads, etc.

And a horse type impulse set. Comes with a horse, saddle, maybe armor, etc. Or animal fig sets.

These are great ideas. I would also like to see a tavern or inn set. Perhaps a knights on the march type set.

I like your ideas.

Especially the minifig packs, and the castle creator sets or just more sets as high quality as the Medieval Market Village. If possible some sort of accessory pack for minifigs. Like extra weapons, armor pieces, helmets, heads, etc.

And a horse type impulse set. Comes with a horse, saddle, maybe armor, etc. Or animal fig sets.

They actually used to have accessory sets and I miss them too. There have also been some small sets like the one you mention that would feature a knight, a horse, and a few weapons. Those would also be nice to see again. In general, I would like to see lots of small sets because I tend to buy many copies of them.

As for the Creator set, basically my thinking is that a set jam packed with bley bricks and pieces needed for detail work (like the roofing tiles, doors, etc) would sell quite well. Most of the Castle sets of the last few years haven't been the greatest source of bley bricks (though I thought the Tower Raid and possibly the Drawbridge Defense were decent on this front). People see the large, very detailed castles others build when they come to websites like this and Classic-castle and they want to build things like that. A set like this will, I believe, encourage that because it will allow people to amass the bricks they need for the structure itself instead of searching Bricklink. I know I would buy more than one if it were done right. Then again, if they just made a Creator house primiarly in bley I would buy it too.

Beyond that, I agree that another set of MMV quality would be nice. Either a civilian set or possibly a small outpost. It could't be a large castle unless the cost were extreme. Then again, I would love to see a large, very well made castle. It would easily be in $200+ range though.

As for the Creator set, basically my thinking is that a set jam packed with bley bricks and pieces needed for detail work (like the roofing tiles, doors, etc) would sell quite well. Most of the Castle sets of the last few years haven't been the greatest source of bley bricks (though I thought the Tower Raid and possibly the Drawbridge Defense were decent on this front). People see the large, very detailed castles others build when they come to websites like this and Classic-castle and they want to build things like that. A set like this will, I believe, encourage that because it will allow people to amass the bricks they need for the structure itself instead of searching Bricklink. I know I would buy more than one if it were done right. Then again, if they just made a Creator house primiarly in bley I would buy it too.

I totally agree with you that a Castle Creator set would be fantastic! Lots of bley bricks with some black and brown for the details would be great. I think a set like that would encourage many kids to build more buildings and castles then just catapults and other vehicles that TLG constantly makes. I think I will try to make a set like that myself just to experiment how it could be made. :classic:

Those are really nice ideas. A Creator type set could indeed be used as a good Castle parts pack and because none of the pieces are really specific, building ideas shouldn't be hard to come up with. The modularity of the 80s Castle sets was indeed a great 'collection' feature (you could expand your castle set-by-set). The castle minifig packs of those days also were great. Three figs from each side (like the 80s sets) or a set of civilians would be great. In general, compared to the 80s, the breath of lines has decreased. There used to be at least double the amount of sets out at any one given time, typically much more small- and mid-sized sets used to be available. But with the many more different themes TLG currently carries, I wouldn't get my hopes up for more sets in any one theme.

Personally I would like to see some sort of archery range type set with lots of longbows seeing as I have so few of them. Maybe like a few Liocorn knights being trained in archery and some Dragon knights disrupting that endeavour. An accessories pack with various equipment would be pretty nice as well.

Those are really nice ideas. A Creator type set could indeed be used as a good Castle parts pack and because none of the pieces are really specific, building ideas shouldn't be hard to come up with. The modularity of the 80s Castle sets was indeed a great 'collection' feature (you could expand your castle set-by-set). The castle minifig packs of those days also were great. Three figs from each side (like the 80s sets) or a set of civilians would be great. In general, compared to the 80s, the breath of lines has decreased. There used to be at least double the amount of sets out at any one given time, typically much more small- and mid-sized sets used to be available. But with the many more different themes TLG currently carries, I wouldn't get my hopes up for more sets in any one theme.

That is a good point about the individual lines decreasing in size (well, most of them anyway). I figure what we are going to see later this year is probably close to the max of what we will see in any given year. I suppose there could be an TRU/Target/WM exclusive or two, maybe a new MMV esque set, and possibly something like the Creator castle that would reall be part of the Creator line. Beyond that, I imagine 6-7 is the max sets we are looking at for now. Then again, I see no reason why some of the modular stuff couldn't be spread around a couple of years. I'm meaning future ideas in general, not necessarily "What do you want to see in 2011".

Then again, I see no reason why some of the modular stuff couldn't be spread around a couple of years. I'm meaning future ideas in general, not necessarily "What do you want to see in 2011".

I was thinking about that as well while writing my earlier post: sets tended to 'last longer' in the 80s. The new sets every year could be close to the numbers we're seeing nowadays. Still, I have the idea there was more continuity in a single line back then. The modular aspect certainly added to the continuity of the line. I was hoping the same would happen in Pirates when they released the Soldier's Fort last year, but then they decided to put the line 'on hold'. :hmpf_bad:

First, I should say that I searched through several recent pages and I didn't come across a similar thread so if there is one could someone point me in the right direction.

It seems most of our speculation threads end up doubling as a place to put set ideas, but there hasn't an "official" thread for castle set ideas recently, so this is fine.

I beleive Castle deserves something original, like:

Pilgrims road

All across the Lego world, people are flocking to Lego City. A new king has been born, and the road is packed. Join 12 weary travellers as they face perils, like bandits, wolfpack and animals. Will they make it to the city? you decide!

Sets:

₤5.99: Wilbers wagon

Weary Wilber is a poor peasant, but he hopes bringing his box of treats to the King will grant him a reward. Unfortunatly, he's scared easily, but will he be brave enough to fight the naughty bat knight?

Includes:

Horse with cart and back pack.

Cart with removable red and gold chest.

Raider with ghost outfit and Wilbur

₤14.99: Medical camp

Marcus and Joan, the lovers who can never be have been poisoned! They can't visit a profesional, but luckily, a local witch doctor is nearby... but he is actualy evil! Will the skeleton ward them off, or will the sinister progection on the wall?

Includes:

Skeleton in a barrel of fish.

Brick built hut with spinning wall ( one side with potions, the other with a holographic (not litteraly) devil printing.

Witch Doctor, Peasent man and aristocrat woman with jewel encrusted staff and trumpet

₤19.99: Camping site invasion

Quick, the teams camping site is under attack! The raiders have a fast firing catapult ( flick fire missiles), and are using their fire sticks to burn down the tent! Timothy catches a ride on a small cart, headed by one of the groups body guards, Simon! Will they get away?

Includes:

Timothy, Simon and a raider

Tent with bookshelf, horse and cart and a small flick fire catapult

Plenty of weapons and acsessories

₤24.99 Forest assault

After the Raider incident, no-one wants to walk the road, so they take a walk through a sinister forest... they are attacked by a huge bear (new peice) but luckily the forrestmen have a tree house just nearby... will they save the team?

Includes:

Huge bear

Forrest man, Forrest lady,James the Baron and Arthur the paper boy

Treetop base with firing net, extending bridge, beds and a catapult!

₤39.99 Wolfpack gahering (Wall-mart/ Argos exlusive)

The Wolf pack, an old castle faction, has been replaced by the Raiders. They are not happy about this- it's why all their retired members have reunited at their new camp, to ruin the raider forces!

includes:

General Hound, His daughter Rowaina, two attackers and a prisoner

Bear cage, log cabin and tent

Booby trapped throne, bladed tree and catapult

₤44.99 Wizard's cottage

In the forest is an ancient village built for wizards. Now, a con artist has taken residence and is looting people for gold! Antony has figured this out, but Bert and Minnie are suckers for the supernatural! Can he ride the Horse to the cottage in time to save them before the city gates shut?

Includes:

Antony, Bert, Minnie, Wizard and his assistant

Bear( other mould (ridable)

Wizards cottage, with booby traps and magic tricks

₤54.99 City Gate

After several days of walking, the gang finaly make the gate just before it closes! Finish your collection of the group, get them all a nice warm meal at the inn, and lock up those pesky raiders!

Includes:

Fantastic city gate with opening doors

Inn and Prison

Gully, the leader of the pilgrims, Jerremy, Sue and Lance the knight, two city guards, Jericho, raider leader and a raider

and, the amazing...

cathedral!

₤99.99 Birth of a King

The huge medieval cathedral, of many pieces, is the birthplace of the new king. Attending is the old king, the Queen royal subjects, the royal guards and sir Gully and Sue! Oh, and it wouldn't be Christian specific.

Includes:

Bell tower, tombs, garden, seats, alter and benches

Baby (new mould)

King, Queen, Crusader(s), Advisor(s), Bishop(s), Aristocrat(s), Guards, Gully and Sue.

I'm hoping the new "kingdoms" will last for more than only one wave. Like you mentioned earlier, small cheap sets would be great. ;o!

What a great topic. For future castle sets I'd personally like to see the following:

-Armory/Blacksmith

two minifigures (one blacksmith and one armor/weapon seller) with decent size blacksmith and weapon/helmet/armor selections

-Food Market

Perhaps have a baking goods, fruits and vegetable and meat and fish stands, 3 minifigures, 2 male, 1 female.

-Castle Wall

Simple gray, grayish or bley bricks that can be purchased in multiples to make a decent castle wall.

-Animal pack

-horse, cow, pig, dog

-Great hall/round table meeting

King, and several knight in a room

-Peasant/farmer house with garden

one peasant with little house and some garden around it. Perhaps 2-3 minifigs (wife and child) and 2 stories high house would be nice.

-Cathedral

Not any religion oriented, but medieval one.

-Inn/Tavern

several peasant minifgs, server and his wife and 2 soldiers. Nice 2 sorty high tavern with 4 bedrooms upstairs.

-Jail with torture room

-two prisoners, one skeleton, a guard and a torturer.

-Bandit ambush

3 bandits, 2 guards and a carriage.

-Lumber camp

3 peasants, one guard and one bandit

-bandits secret hideout

4 bandits, 2 guards, camouflaged hideout

While most of these ideas will probably never happen, I would definitely like to see a Castle Creator set much like the modular homes we've had in recent years. Either that or a microscale model akin to the Taj Mahal LEGO produced a few years ago. The Creator line seems to be aimed at older builders so I could see LEGO actually producing such a set. I don't think we'll be seeing too many civilian sets outside of the occassional S@H exclusive like the MMV. As Tyrant pointed out, Castle fans don't really have a good source of basic bley bricks to rely on. A Creator set would definitely fill in the void.

I'm also hoping that the collectable minifig line expands to specific themes in the future. It would be a great way to introduce minifigs that probably will never find their way into a conventional set. A monk, historical figures such as Saladin or Henry V, popular folk heroes like Ivanhoe, or more peasants are but a few of the possible figures I could envision appearing in such a line. With the Castle line we get a bucketload of soldiers and knights, but it would be nice to see something a bit different. If the minifig collectable line proves to be a success it would definitely be nice to see a future run dedicated to the various major themes (Castle, Town, Space, etc.).

It would be nice if Kingdoms meant previous kingdoms and factions can reappear. It's probably not going to happen. But they did remake some classic castle minifigs in those vintage minifig collections. if they can remake them for those minifig packs, there isn't any reason why they can't remake them for the future lines. Although I guess the colors/etc won't match and lego enthusaists will complain about how the newer versions are inferior remakes, and other complaints. But I still think if they remade previous castle minifigs at least, it would sell a lot at least in the AFOL market.

EDIT: A little off tangent analogy. Bandai makes the Gundam Model Kits. They keep on producing all their model kits as far as I know, includling the ones from the 70's. Now I know Lego can't do that (I even emailed them) because of changing colors, and brick molds being put out of production and other things. And Bandai doesn't push out as much product so I guess its easier for them to do so. But the point of this analogy is that they tend to sell a lot of duplicates. Looking at their Master Grade product lines, they have LOTS of Zaku II's and RX-78 (original Gundam) models. Those were the first two mobile suits that appeared in the very first episode. And maybe that's why they are so popular. But those must be their main selling models if they keep on making so many varient models.

So I would think, if Lego reproduced previous minifigs like the classic castle, crusaders, forestmen, wolfpack, black falcons, and etc. I think a lot of fans would gobble them up. EVEN if they aren't the 100% same as the originals. And newer lego fans probably would like the chance of purchasing sets with revived themes that they missed out on. And for the younger children market where the parents buy for them, I doubt they would care about what kind of faction the castle sets are. So even if they can't make the same minifigs of older themes, they could make "updated" versions of them, and it would make most of their customers happy I imagine. Now I am not saying they shouldn't make new themes for castle, but there is no reason why they can't make both. Experiment with new historic themes, while throwing a bone to older fans every once in a while and make sets from older themes. Like they did shortly with the Legends line.

Edited by lego40k

Next to the Castle Creator I would looove to see a Castle themed Bucket with black/light gray/dark grey/brown arches, windows, gates... You know Castle bricks!

Above all else, I hope for the return of Forestmen. But this thread is for specific set ideas, not theme suggestions, so I'll get back on topic.

I think a small town square set would be nice, with a few market stalls and a well, or maybe a cart. A gypsy camp would be cool :classic: . Overall, I think lots have pople have said "more civilian scenes", and I agree. My Crownies have nobody to protect! :cry_sad:

I also liked the story-driven feel of Knight's Kingdom. This is a theme that I think gets too much of a bad rap for some less-than-stellar accessories, when it was actually quite nice with the cool structures (prison tower, boulder bridge) and awesome figs (Shadow Knights, Guardian :wub: ). So what I'm saying is, a Castle line with more distinct characters and a cool story (a la Pilgrims Road, I like it!) would be good.

Lego should base a whole castle themed-line on King Arthur. You have Camalot itself with the round table...Arthur (of course with Excalibur) and Guineverre, various Knights as Battle Packs plus a Lancelot set fighting Arthur over a bridge, Merlin's with an alchemist type lair, Morgan Le Fey,her minion, Modred and of course create a set, castle, etc were the Knights can find the Grail. Make the sets seem like to have to purchase each one to follow a storyline towards the Grail.

That could shake up the Castle theme a bit with something fresh and crossing historic/literature.

Next to the Castle Creator I would looove to see a Castle themed Bucket with black/light gray/dark grey/brown arches, windows, gates... You know Castle bricks!

While I would personally prefer a Creator set because I believe it would likely also include pieces for small detail work, this idea is a pretty good substitute that would still act as a way to get masses of castle building bricks.

I had another idea. Since we will likely be seeing a constant flow of siege equipment for the foreseeable future, I would like to see better versions. It's been a while since we had a Balista (I think). If they absolutely had to, it could really shoot. A trebuchet would be a nice change of pace. Having that really fire could be interesting. Maybe a battering ram or two even. They could be well made (like with a ram's head or something on the end) or more "thrown together" in appearance (like a tree they chopped down and stuck on wheels). Or, they could go for a taller and more detailed siege tower. One that has either balistas or catapults on top with windows on lower levels for archers. Since we are no doubt going to continue to get things like this, maybe we can at least get better versions.

As for things I would like to see but are quite unlikely except as possible high end exclusives:

Windmill/Watermill This would have a couple of peasants and maybe a soldier or two to guard it. A cart or two for hauling grain/corn in and for hauling the ground product out. Having it be functional with powered parts would be awesome, but it would probably increase the price a great deal and force some kind of sacrifice in the design. An alternative to this would be a large grinding wheel powered by horses. That option could be refitted by some to recreate one of the early scenes in Conan the Barbarian I believe.

Ancient Ruines This would be something like a long buried or forgotten temple. Maybe something with a little Roman flavor. A floor that appears flooded or tiled. Columns that are mostly broken part way up with a few still in on piece. Maybe even a cross support or two still in place. Stone debris littering the place. Some type of statues, again in varying states of decay. No roof. Some type of central alter or raised dias. Some type of treasure or spell book or something. For this one the figures could either be mostly soldiers with a wizard or scholar, or a more D&D esque group with some generic fighter/cleric/rogue looking types and a wizard/sorcorer looking guy as well. The second option would require mostly new torsos that don't have a crest of a current faction. Maybe their own crest, but that would probably be pushing it. If the set needs a "villain" or some type then there are a couple of options. For the first set of figures you could either use members of the opposing army or a ghost or two and some skeletons. For the second group the villain should probably be a monster of some type (something smaller than a dragon, maybe a largish Iron Golem looking thing or a Minotaur), a rival group of adventurers, or the aforementioned ghosts and skeletons.

Cottage with Small Farm A cottage, hopefully with a second floor. It would be nice if it looked similar to the MMV buildings. It would have a peasant family (mom, dad, two kids). It could have a small section for some kind of crop set up, a wagon with a horse for taking things to the market, and a small pen for pigs or cows. This would be a great place to bring back the pitch fork. Maybe have a set of armor and sword on a wall or mantle somewhere showing that the dad is a retired or presently inactive soldier. Interior would need a table and chairs and bedrooms. If they did this right I would buy several.

On the smaller end of things:

A Town Well Nothing too elaborate. A round, stone well with a mechanism for raising and lowering a bucket for water. It would come with a couple of peasants and maybe a soldier as a guard. It could have a dog or horse too. If it's a horse, it should have some type of saddlebags to hold the water. Basically this would be an excuse for a cheap set that has peasants in it.

I would like to see some sets showing the medieval "production line", from raw materials to finished product.

The first would be the farmer-mill-baker set with a small farm or just a field with the farmer by his plough, a small windmill and the baker in a small bakery.

The second could be the mine-smelter-smith set with a small (and could we make it at least vaguely historical this time) mine. It should have a worker rolling his cart of ore over to the iron smelter with a light-brick furnace and finally the smith making all kinds of stuff that he sells in his shop.

Each of these sets would have a main model and two smaller ones with approximate brick ratio of 1/2 1/4 1/4. A minimum of four minifigs per set would be needed, one for each craftsman and an end consumer, the soldier shopping for a new helmet or a tavernkeeper buying some loaves of bread.

Edited by NorthernKnight

So, now we've seen some decent picks of this year's sets. Any new ideas floating around about what we would like to see down the road?

I have a couple of ideas based on what we have seen so far, and assuming these are the factions we will see next year.

Large Castle for the Dragon Knights -This one's kind of obvious. With the Lion guys having a large castle the other side needs one as well. I assume the Prison Tower is an indication of the general style any other structure for the Dragon Knights will follow. I imagine it will be more along the lines of the Troll Fortress. The walls closer together and being generally smaller in ground coverage, but having taller towers. I imagine it will be primarily black with brown accents to presumably represent wood. This set would serve to supply a number of Dragon Knights, possibly a king (and who knows, maybe a queen as well), and maybe some barding.

A Seaside Port/Fortress-This would be similar to the one with the Skeleton Ship. It could be more like a seaside port and focus on a couple of small buildings, a peer, and some smaller boats. Or, it could be more of a seaside fortress with a small dock. This one would have an opening for smaller boats instead of the typical front gate and feature mounted siege weapons to fight off enemy ships. If it were a larger set, it could feature a ship about the size of the Skeleton ship or a larger version of the older Sea Serpent. The other set of options are if the ships are friends or foes. If they're friends then the ships will be cargo ships and if they are foes the ships will be attack ships.

On the smaller end:

The obvious would be to make a Wizard and Jester for the opposite factions to help even things out.

Beyond that, some smaller sets where the Dragon Knights outnumber the Lions would be good for evening out the two sides.

I would like to see some sets showing the medieval "production line", from raw materials to finished product.

The first would be the farmer-mill-baker set with a small farm or just a field with the farmer by his plough, a small windmill and the baker in a small bakery.

The second could be the mine-smelter-smith set with a small (and could we make it at least vaguely historical this time) mine. It should have a worker rolling his cart of ore over to the iron smelter with a light-brick furnace and finally the smith making all kinds of stuff that he sells in his shop.

Each of these sets would have a main model and two smaller ones with approximate brick ratio of 1/2 1/4 1/4. A minimum of four minifigs per set would be needed, one for each craftsman and an end consumer, the soldier shopping for a new helmet or a tavernkeeper buying some loaves of bread.

Great Idea! There's a lot of posibilities with this and a great way to get peasants.

I would just like to see elves, I mean they've done everything from dwarfs to orcs, why not elves?

Wow, I haven't posted here in a loooong time...but anyway:

I read through most ideas and, while I see them coming from a certain justified demand for the actual included components, some appear too "static" in their play value. It's action toys Lego sells now and I, too, am not very fond of the gradual trend towards that.

Anyway, there were very cool ideas mentioned: A sort of story driven collection of sets, neatly tied together by likable and iconic (nameless!) characters as in the Pilgrim's Road concept would rock!

A Creator-style castle set of larger proportions is LONG overdue in my book! There simply is NO satisfying excuse as to why f.i. the Star Wars crowd gets all the sugary goodness blown up its spoiled behind with a vigour, while one of Lego's traditional core lines (read: castle-themes in general) and its fans are treated like in an almost stepmotherly fashion. Medieval Marketplace was the first faint light on the horizon I think, yet upon that Lego failed to deliver HARD.

Next step would be to introduce a solid base of interesting smaller sets as long term (5+ years) door-opener for bigger sets rotating every second or third year. Fantasy-Castle's end felt too abrupt for me, left me desiring for some sort of aperitif.

Then I think Lego COULD try (re-?)introducing a minifigure-scaled line themed entirely around classic fairytales (Brothers Grimms', Andersen's and the like), but make them compatible in every aspect (basic colour-schemes, factions) with the non-fantasy castle stuff. I see this buying into the girls-market and the fantasy interested boys alike. Think of parents before the shelf recognizing, say, a nonviolent "The Frog King"-playset (with a castle and well and all) and their children later gaining interest in regular castle/kingdom-lines on that basis. Synergetic marketing anyone? That fairytale-line would also bring about new cool parts to the interested castle-fan. Need an enchanted forest? Go buy castle-line's "Thieves' Foresthideout" and add fairytale-line's "Unicorn and princess" or whatever strikes your fancy.

Additionally I'd like to see more individualised knights. Fantasy-castle knights were too uniform, while KK's knights were too colourful, even though they didn't have common heraldry. Find a good balance between that and BAM! - instant accurate knights!

Bigger sets from either line mentioned above could be centered around a heraldic concept introduced in smaller sets later on corroborating that synergetic effect even more! Example: "The Frog King" could take place in different faction's environment than "Rapunzel", while that could potentially be same as where "Cinderella" or "The Devil With the Three Golden Hairs" could take place.

I had a list of potential set ideas floating around on my hard-drive. Maybe I'll translate and post it sometime.

Be well you all,

Cutty

Edited by Cutty

I was thinking about a bunch of castle sets that would form an enormous castle. That way they would be small affordable sets ranging from $10-$50.

A $10 set could be a smaller wall section. Would include a minifig or two.

A $25 set could be a tower. An archer, and an enemy.

A $50 set, a grand gatehouse.

The $30 set? The king's throne room.

Well, you get the idea.