dr_spock

MOC: Yellow Crane Truck

Greetings.

This is my first venture into 6 wide MOC. (I'm an old school 4 wide type of guy.) I built it over the last couple of days. It is a very yellow crane truck. It is based on the type of crane products by Idrogu http://www.idrogru.it/gb_index.htm. Their crane is designed to be mounted on any 8x4 truck chassis. We don't see many of this type of crane here in North America.

4250077197_b9034780e9.jpg

4250850486_3c22bd172d.jpg

4250077679_3bb51f9e0e.jpg

4250077783_f90eb024f5.jpg

A comparision with my favorite 4 wide size.

More pics on my flickr

Edited to fix flickr link.

Edited by dr_spock

Really nice MOC. Fits in well with TLG's current town line in terms of size. It looks much better than the truck TLG included in the City Construction Site set. I like the way you implemented the supports. The 'cabin' for the crane operator looks a little high above the ground though.

Hello!

That's a great boosting-up of the older 6361 Mobile Crane from 1986. :classic: The control cabin for the turning platform is very nice with it's sloped windscreen. :classic: Being more a fan of 4-wide vehicles myself, too, I think that replacing the headlights on the roof with 1x1x2/3 slopes is a great idea to stabilize the crane boom. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Great work dr_spock!

I REALLY like this crane! Being a 4-wider myself, I always thought that the last cranes released form TLG were a bit big for me. This one is a very succeful pass to 6-wide IMO.

I also own the classic town crane and seeing the comparison you've made, they don't look too odd next to each other.

The stabilizer (if it's called like that) technique is genious. :thumbup:

Be sure that if this was an official set, it would have been in my collection now. :sweet:

As a big crane enthusiast, I cannot pass this.

Idrogru has some interesting cranes, and your crane is very nice model of it!

The stabilizers are called Outriggers.

You have created realistic crane truck and I like it, I would suggest you to add counterweight box. It is essential on any crane.

On crane trucks counterweight is places behind the truck cab while the truck is driving, then crane cabin is rotated by 180 degrees and hydraulic rams pick them up and lock them, and it stands behind the crane cabin.

Overall great crane!

The stabilizers are called Outriggers.

Thanks for the tip Milan. :thumbup::wink:

I was too lazy to do my own search.

Great MOC! :wub:

And a lot better than the "out-of-measure" official ones.

Although I have to admit your almost studless shape is really good-looking, I would have preferred a design with more studs.

Thank you for sharing your work with us, every town can be proud of calling one of these their own.

This is a very nice MOC. :thumbup: I especially like how the outriggers come out from the crane rather than the whole truck. However, I wonder where the outriggers' remaining pieces go when they are folded back into the truck.

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the Flickr link, dr_spock. :grin: I really like the ability of the crane to stand alone and mount to crawler tracks! :thumbup:

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Great work, I must say this looks so much better and believable than the smaller crane. The little one was just too little. I also love the stabalizer arms, that's a great touch.

Very nice MOC. I really like the size of your crane / truck which fits the rest of the city line. Nice job on the supports too. I really like it.

'Dr Spock' you are not bad at 6 wide vehicles either - VERY NICE !!!! :sweet::grin::laugh:

True the outriggers are very well done, dam it why does it take us AFOL's to think of something Lego should of ? :grin:

This also fits a town/city layout a little better than the crane from 7633 construction site (I have those parts still bagged - me gets to thinkin'). :grin:

Anyway 'Dr_Spock' keep up the great work ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Thats a very nice Crane dr_spock! :wub:

Very nice design! :thumbup:

Well done on this being your first atempt on a 6 wide crane, I prefer the 6 wide better then the 4 wide.

Great job!

CommanderFox

Thank you everyone.

One advantage of having the outriggers built into the crane superstructure instead of the truck frame is the crane unit can be self-dismounted from the truck. The truck is then freed for other jobs.

4251582905_752c6d4f3f.jpg

The crane unit can be also mounted to crawlers for rough terrain duty.

4251583139_a3d0153b8c.jpg

Lego is fun. :)

Now that's a surprise and didn't see that one comming ! :oh3:

Love the idea of the crane truck really being a flat bed just to carry the crane and could be used for other functions - FANTASTIC ! again ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Why didn't you show that first eh ? :oh3:

Lego would need to do a vehicle just like this !!!! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Lego is fun. :)

That says it all. :wink:

I'm even more impressed now! Just amazing work!

Well done!