Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

Welcome to Earth!

Hello dear community!

Today I'd like to share some starships from the movie "Independence Day" with you. Source material is rare for these, and you have to watch the movie carefully. They're of course not to scale as the mothership would have the size of your house then. :wink: The ships in this movie are not shown to great detail, and thus the miniatures don't match the usual detail quiality standard. Sorry. :sad: Well anyway, here's what we're talking about in this post:

id4-poster.jpg

id4.jpg

The first ship of the aliens entering the atmosphere are the giant 25-Mile-Ships. They have one command tower which has been built with a clicky hinge and a 1x2x2/3 slope which compensates the curve of the dish to give the horizontal layer of the bridge. When firing its primary weapon you can move the clip plates to focus the beam. :classic:

15-mile-ship-1.jpg

Unable to destroy the 15-Mile-Ships it comes to a dogfight with the alien fighters. It was quite hard to get this in tiny scale with all its curves. The result is pretty snotty. :classic:

alien-fighter-1.jpg

Still unable to fight back the aliens the defenders decide to attack the gargantuan mothership. This has the shape of half an egg, a highly difficult shape to construct with bricks. I cam up with an approximation with many slopes and wedge bricks. I agree it's one of the uglier models I have made so far. :sceptic:

mothership-1.jpg

Finally, after having infected the alien force with a computer virus, the defenders escape through a narrow corridor inside the mothership where we can spot another vessel, probably being a kind of troopship of an invasion force. This ship is only seen for a few seconds. Hence I'd like to include a small image collection I took:

id4-troopship.jpg

The result is pretty primitive and extremely straight-forward. But It wouldn't make sense to invent a super complicated construction for a blurry ship we don't know what it is and how it looks in detail. :classic:

troopship-1.jpg

That's all for today. :classic:

On a small side-note, I set up a small sub site of my homepage that will deal with many models from many different movies. You can access it either via my homepage (link in signature) or directly here: http://misc.deckdesigns.de/

Thank you for your time and interest.

Yours Christopher.

Ahhh Independence Day. The movie that ripped off so many story points from other sources (especially V... which ripped off the book Childhoods End), had dubious military concepts (F/A-18s? Wouldn't A-10s be smarter and the USAF doesn't even use F/A-18s...), very dubious hacker skills (no explanation needed) and lazy effects. I had high hopes for this film and was very disappointed.

You've done very well making what you did! :sweet: I especially like how you say you can move the clip plates to focus the beam. :tongue: Most of the effects were done using a bad combination of models and CG, and for that reason only one ship does stand out; the alien fighter. I didn't mind that design, but as you say, it's hard to do in small scale. You've done a good job all things considered though.

Thanks for sharing!

Hello again,

and thank you both of you for the feedback. :sweet:

And yes, Siegfried, you're right. Many more modern SciFi movies have "adopted" elements from older movies. It's important that we keep this knowledge alive, otherwise no one will remember the "original" sources at some time. The situation is similar to the covering of old pop songs. Many people today don't know that the song is much older and had only been re-covered. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Oh man, where is the LEGO model of the whitehouse getting blowed up.

that's my favorite one, I see it in the CG picture, did you build that too?

Thank you, Big Cam.

The image exists, and is posted below. :classic:

The following image shows the reproduction of a movie scene. It is fully fictional and does not depict real events in the past, present or future. There is no correlation with bygone or planned acts of violence in reality.

15-mile-ship-4.jpg

Best greetings,

~ Christopher

I can't believe I missed these :oh: these are great! I really love you're white house mini. These are all simple but brilliant renditions of some pretty awesome ships. It's a pretty great film although extremely cheesey at some points :tongue:

...although extremely cheesey at some points :tongue:

Hello and thank you for the comment! I have to agree with you here. :classic: Many genre movies have such elements. Maybe this is to break out from the expected plot? But I even expect exactly these elements in a new movie. For the most part I find these rather disturbing, however. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thank you, Big Cam.

The image exists, and is posted below. :classic:

The following image shows the reproduction of a movie scene. It is fully fictional and does not depict real events in the past, present or future. There is no correlation with bygone or planned acts of violence in reality.

15-mile-ship-4.jpg

Best greetings,

~ Christopher

'They are preparing to fire their primary weapon !'

Very nice 'Legostein' - you forgot the helicopter transport that gets totalled in the film - but that's okay :sweet: - looks EXCELLENT anyway !

Though I must say the alien fighter craft reminds me of a Cylon Raider, don't know what you think ?

Hey, 'Legostein' have you done Buck Rogers yet - that would be cool !

Good one Legostein! i really like these, with my favorite one being the gargantuan mothership. (looks like something from district 9 :classic:)

Hello,

and thank you both of you. :classic:

Hey, 'Legostein' have you done Buck Rogers yet - that would be cool !

I am not (yet) familiar with that series, but might be one day. Then I'll gladly post again in this forum. :classic:

(looks like something from district 9 :classic:)

Indeed, objects from this recent movie might me miniaturized as soon as the DVD comes out, so I can have a closer look at the quite greebly looking mothership there. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Interesting miniatures.

In the White House miniature, are the black windows stickers?

Hello and thank you. :classic:

As already stated in several topics, one of my rules is: "No saw, glue or paint" :classic:

I always try to be as exact as possible with what is available. Sometimes this includes buying very expensive pieces, like those window bricks which are from the old Ferries Theme. If you're interested in the little building you might want to see it at its original topic here: Micro White House. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Hello and thank you. :classic:

As already stated in several topics, one of my rules is: "No saw, glue or paint" :classic:

I always try to be as exact as possible with what is available. Sometimes this includes buying very expensive pieces, like those window bricks which are from the old Ferries Theme. If you're interested in the little building you might want to see it at its original topic here: Micro White House. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Oh, okay. I haven't seen those pieces before, so I was a bit confused.