Bored with usual V8's and V12's? I have a solution! A lego piston engine with 16 cylinders arranged in X shape. Great for supercars and a like.

View from top:

p1130936.jpg

Under:

p1130937.jpg

Main modules. The camshaft is my fav!

p1130938.jpg

Video with instructions:

Edited by Zblj

This powerful engine must generate AT LEAST 1000+ Horsepower, right? :laugh: You're going to twist off all of your Technic Axles with this baby!

I like it ! :wub:

Is there any vehicle (car, truck, dragster, or anything else) which have that kind of engine ?

Edited by Anio

Is there any vehicle (car, truck, dragster, or anything else) which have that kind of engine ?

The basic arrangement is not too different than an old radial airplane engine, except longer. I don't think you would see something like this in a car though. The problem is that the cylinders which face downward always have oil from the crankcase sitting against the rings. This results in a lot of leaking/burning oil over time. It works for LEGO though!

I managed to shorten the engine, by replacing the usual cam shaft parts with a 2 studded half beam.

Also the casing is better now.

p1130942.jpg

p1130943.jpg

Camshaft:

p1130944.jpg

Edited by Zblj

I managed to shorten the engine, by replacing the usual cam shaft parts with a 2 studded half beam.

Also the casing is better now.

Much better! It lines up now.

This engine solves one problem that arose as soon as I had too many cylinders for one vehicle.

The feeling of "Hey, I can make a 40-cylinder engine! What's the point?" :sceptic:

It's just that every set has to have an engine.

At least a few sets manage to miss it out, but the proviso for me is that something better is put in instead, e.g. a JCB could have a motorised air compressor in place of the engine.

I'd quite like to do an aircraft engine - not sure a ring of 7 or 9 cylinders is possible with these parts because of the big peg hole extensions each side, making the radius too large, though they could be mounted the other way on. Also a set of 7 or 9 big end pieces would be required, fitting all lobes into 2M length. A 2-ring engine would be great to make.

Mark

The basic arrangement is not too different than an old radial airplane engine, except longer. I don't think you would see something like this in a car though. The problem is that the cylinders which face downward always have oil from the crankcase sitting against the rings. This results in a lot of leaking/burning oil over time. It works for LEGO though!

Have you seen this kind of engine used in trains?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QSUkFh4Cs...feature=related

And some of it's moving parts: