Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Bloody Mary

indexed.gif

bloodymary.jpg

Gather around all you youngins. Tonight by the camp fire, I'm going to tell you a tale, a Ghost Story of sorts, that occured not too far from the river's shore. There was once a wooden Paddle Wheel that traveled the waters a far distance from Grave Stone, attracting the not-so-good men and women with promises of riches from ill-gotten wins. The boat was known as a "sin ship", for not only was gambling a steady passtime on board, but other "not-so-mentionable" activities occured on its decks. One night during a full moon, a young local man, newly married, decided to see what "all the talk was about", and boarded the lascivious ship. He was quickly greeted by a few of the steamer's female "crew" and quickly found himself enjoying their exploits. Unfortunately, the young man's bride Mary snuck aboard the ship to see what her husband was doing. The sight of her husband with the female crew was too much for her to bare, and out of anger, she flung a kerosene lantern on the deck of the ship. Flames quickly engulfed the Paddle Wheel burning everyone on board to death.

Years have passed, and few remember the burning of the Paddle Wheel. Some speak of a ghostly ship that comes out from the fog each year on the ship's anniversary. Glowing flames can be seen on its deck, as well as skeletal appartitions of a few of the more frequent patrons, their eyes red from the burning flames. Those that know the tale call the ship Bloody Mary. :skull:

Wow! Didn't expect that steam boat could look so nice in a ghost scene, and I love the steam boat creation very much. Certainly looks great even for a City attraction, for tourists to hop on, not just only used for your Ghost Town. A nice story background, and its nice to see Gravestone return once more. :thumbup:

I am stunned at how many of these Ghost story sets you can make up.

This is another fine fit for the Graveyard theme :thumbup:

It looks so official that it's kinda scary.

Thanks guys. I enjoy reading your feedback.

So, let me tell you a little more about Bloody Mary.

Over the past several years, I've wanted to build a large spooky paddle boat. Inspired by a number of visits to Disneyland California over the years, I've always marveled at the splendid Steam Boat Mary, thinking she'd make a fine Ghost Ship.

bmposter.jpg

Playmobil, of which some know I am a fan of, created a Paddle Boat only as a concept set. It was never produced.

paddle_steamer.jpg

In discussions on a few Wild West threads; I've thought, what a nice idea for a LEGO MOC or actual set.

As I don't consider myself an "advanced builder", the thought of building a working paddle wheel was somewhat intimidating for me (knowing that it would require some trial and error, as well as a good amount of creativity). In addition, I wasn't sure how to go about creating the hull; if I should build one myself (requiring numerous upside down slopes which I don't have), or use one from a pirate ship or other boat. The Carribean Clipper would serve perfectly.

While this creation hasn't drawn a lot of comments, I honestly consider it one of my best creations. It took a lot of time and rebuilds to achieve the final design.

These are a few of its features:

- Turning paddle wheel that drops downward when the chains are disattached

- Removable ship's cabin roof and steering room

- Open stair section for both 2nd and 3rd floor decks

- Classic Pirate-style ship's wheel

- Working anchor

- Cargo hull (although hard to see without disassembly)

- Port and Starboard lights (LEGO bricks only)

- Opening gate

- Three skeletal minifigs + 1 skellie

- Lots of Wild West and Pirate accessories

And a picture of the details:

bmdetails.jpg

One more:

bmlarge.jpg

This MOC, because of it's size, is very difficult to photograph well. It looks better up-close. I hope you enjoy.

Looks awesome TheBrickster. Your collection keeps on growing and growing!

I especcialy like that it has an official look to it and the fact so few of this kind of boats get build by people, making it more extra-ordinary :thumbup: .

This is a totally awesome MOC, TheBrickster! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks absolutely realisitic and like an official set! :oh:

And the story behind it is like always great. too! Although creating a paddle wheel is surely very difficult you successfully managed it.

Great fitting of Pirates parts in the Western theme.

The most I like the colors you used for it - esp. for a ghost paddle wheel steamer they look perfect.

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Btw: I know that you mainly build ghost town creations. But looking at that awesome ghost paddle wheel steamer: Would you like to build a regular paddle wheel steamer (in white-red colors and perhaps looking similar to the Playmobil prototype which naver has been released)? It surely would be great!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

It looks absolutely realisitic and like an official set! :oh:

Yes they look just like the ghosts I've seen in real life.

Great creation TheBrickster, I'm constantly amazed by just how many supernatural concepts you can squeeze out of Grave Stone without it getting stale (mind you, do normal people still live there? I've yet to see a not-haunted place :laugh: )

The boat could've come out as too odd loking in shape but you've really pulled it off. The little details as always impress, my favourites being the trumpet, glasses, gun and paddle racks and the sextant. Those dark orange posts work really well too.

The only major gripe I have is that the ghosts have yellow hands, which I don't think really works.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

You spooky ghostly man! Halloween's never over for ya, is it :tongue:

Congratulations my friend, this one is a really great MOC - I can only imagine how much fun building it must have been! Your paddle wheel design looks spot on and is an absolute eye-catcher. I also love the funnels - are those tyres I'm seeing on the top? Ingenious & very appropriate!

Edited by TheOtters

Hello!

An outstanding boat, and the perfect use for the big boat hull pieces. :classic: I especially like the finishing of the chimneys, which I have not yet seen until now. :classic: I am sure some infamous ghost pirate captain of an older computer game would have fun with this great ship if he wasn't in the wrong century. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Over the past several years, I've wanted to build a large spooky paddle boat. Inspired by a number of visits to Disneyland California over the years, I've always marveled at the splendid Steam Boat Mary, thinking she'd make a fine Ghost Ship.

I been there before, and went up to this attraction as well. I just had a feeling that this MOC was inspired from there, but wasn't very sure about it. It sure brings back memories. :wub:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm glad you like my latest creation, esp. for those of you who enjoy the Grave Stone collection.

I especcialy like that it has an official look to it and the fact so few of this kind of boats get build by people.

I'd definately agree. Not too many people have made LEGO river boats, esp. "ghost versions".

I know that you mainly build ghost town creations. But looking at that awesome ghost paddle wheel steamer: Would you like to build a regular paddle wheel steamer (in white-red colors and perhaps looking similar to the Playmobil prototype which naver has been released)?

I would love to KD, esp. one that looks like the Disney river boat. I'd make it very large, but I honestly don't have much white, esp. the fence pieces and the more ornate railings.

The boat could've come out as too odd loking in shape but you've really pulled it off.

I really wanted to change the shape a bit to make it more ghostly/odd -to capture that nightmarish shape (sort of how Disney creates their spooky scenes).

The only major gripe I have is that the ghosts have yellow hands, which I don't think really works.

Yes, me too - definately. I would have had to break-out my Fort Legoredo burried under boxes and start changing hands with the Union Troops, something that I didn't feel like doing; plus I hate removing hands.

You spooky ghostly man! Halloween's never over for ya, is it :tongue:

You know it Otters! :laugh:

- are those tyres I'm seeing on the top? Ingenious & very appropriate!

Yes, I actually had one Penguin Umbrella radar dish that was just perfect, but I don't have two. I settled for two vintage tires which is just okay for me.

I am sure some infamous ghost pirate captain of an older computer game would have fun with this great ship if he wasn't in the wrong century. :wink:

Who might that be Legostein?

I just had a feeling that this MOC was inspired from there, but wasn't very sure about it.

I absolutely love Frontier Land and Adventure Land in Disney, my favorite areas of the entire park. New Orleans Square, Pirates, Splash Mountain to name just a few... Too fun!

Excellent work I'm a huge fan of paddle steamers and this is a turly great one, I'm impressed that you managed to use the normal hull parts to build it I thought that that would always give such a ship to odd a shape to look like what it was intended to be but you've pull it off impressivly.

The only issue I have with it is that the ships a little tall for my taste it looks like it my be unstable, though if thats why it sank and it now a ghost ships then that's fine with me.

I think you deserve credit for incorporating the pirate hulls into this creation, but it really doesn't work for me. Paddle wheel boats like this usually have low, square hulls, so the high curves on your creation look out of place.

Good job with the colours and levels, though I agree with Cardinal Brick that the height looks out of proportion with the rest of the boat. I like the way you built the paddle wheel, and that everything opens up and is accessible is a neat feature. The two masts in the front are also a good looking touch.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The hull was a challenge, as I wasn't sure if I should make one or use one "ready-made". To tell you the truth, I think I'd really like one that floats - how's that for a challenge? I actually like the height, and the picture really doesn't do the creation justice, as it appears very tall and narrow.

I've been working on a "day-light" picture, but using the original image as photo-editing took a lot of time with the chains and other details.

Here's the same image with more an "official" Wild West backdrop:

riverboat.jpg

I really wanted to change the shape a bit to make it more ghostly/odd -to capture that nightmarish shape (sort of how Disney creates their spooky scenes).

Hey, that's quite neat, I can really see that influence in it now, I love grotesque style that amps up the scary!

Yes, me too - definately. I would have had to break-out my Fort Legoredo burried under boxes and start changing hands with the Union Troops, something that I didn't feel like doing; plus I hate removing hands.

Fair enough, though personally I have no issue in changing hands. But burying Legoredo under boxes!? For shame sir! For shame! :tongue:

Love the Wild West pic edit too, it actually really suite both versions, y'know, apart form the skeletons and all :laugh:

What program do you use? It has a really nice "clean" feel.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Brickster, this is fantastic work again, you have really done well with making a Steamboat. Really a step out of your Gravestone comfort zone of buildings. :thumbup: The reddish brown and white works well for this mighty mystery vessel. On suggestion for the paddle wheel would be the 6 sided water wheel design from 10193 MMV. Other than this I love it.