Sign in to follow this  
Piranha

Monorail or Trains?

Rail Preference  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What style of rail do you like better?

• Ground Level Track
    • Elevated Track
    • Both

traintech1.jpg

Elevated Track.

Ground Track.

6399-0.gif or 4558.gif

Which do you prefer?

Monorail systems such as 6399 is the primary example of elevated track.

6399-1.jpg

Since LEGO has never actually made a train that has elevated rail, the monorail is the only example.

Ground track includes all the other LEGO system trains.

My choice was Elevated Rail.

When building a city with multiple road plates there is no room for ground level track unless your town is built around it. There hasn't been many level crossing made for when the track meets the the road. Now with a completely elevated track the train moves along above and does not interfere with the road plates. The only thing is the support beams.

:classic:

I think alot of people would like to have a Monorail in their city but the cost of it is so high these days that getting enough track for a decent sized layout is quite hard or very expensive. I had hopped that the new Indy track would become common enough to make a sort of light rail system like the DLR in London but it doesn't seem to be appearing in any other set.

Maybe one day we'll get another monorail system based on power functions with cheap track, otherwise I think most of us just have to stick to ground trains.

Well, since the question is asked that way - I personally would go for both, of course!

Without an actual ground track, we wouldn't be able to include trains in our setups, which would be a crying shame. Aside from having to miss out on the likes of the Santa Fe Super Chief or the Emerald Night (which by itself is a tragedy :P), that would also mean no freight being hauled by the BNSF & co. along the rails of LEGO cities - and the industrial element that ground tracks add is so important to any city!

That said, I can imagine how most of you guys with large tabletowns really feel the need for an elevated rail. It's not only practical and space-saving, it's also an instant eye-catcher. I personally would love to have an elevated railway in our town someday, however I've recently started wondering whether that would all not look a bit too much! I'm planning on adding a tram circling the streets of our town and seeing as I love trams so much, I will most definitely add that ground-rail-based means of transportation. I will also have more ground railway transport going on and with that, having a monorail just might seem a bit too much...

But then again, who am I fooling. We all love Monorail to bits, me included. So if LEGO were ever to release another Monorail set, I'd snatch it straight away (especially knowing that I'd have to pay hundreds and hundreds of EUR in order to obtain one of those legendary 6399 Airport Shuttle sets). Even if the design were not that good (which I doubt, given the "return" of good City sets), just having those coveted elevated railway pieces would totally be worth it!

I love them all! :D The Monorail is expensive, indeed, but for true Lego fan it isn't a problem. :D I'll buy 6399 set in December, so after Christmas I can give you some more constructive feedback. ;) I don't use Monorail or Trains to expand my tabletown, because I don't own it (yet). :P

Edited by Dr Kilroy

I don't own any trains or monorails yet, but I'm definitely hoping TLG will come up with a something like a modern tram or light-rail next year (something like the tram depicted in the drawing of the 'Public Transportation Center' in the TRU poll earlier this year). For me, it doesn't have to be elevated per se. In fact I'd like to make a metro system one day where I'd use sloped track to make part of the track on street level and part of it below ground. Is there any example of that being done in a layout?

I voted both. A monorail would be awesome, but ground level trains are also important for a layout. I think there are more trains than monorails in the world. Maybe I would have more fun with a monorail, but if I build a layout, I know for sure there have to be ground level trains. I'm not sure if I will buy and add a monorail.

Being someone who has never bought or owned a lego train set (Apart from the HP non-motorized one, if you count it) I would personally love Lego to bring back the Monorail - there's something that only monorails can achieve.

But then again the city range is(n't) known for it's common sense...save for the few 'good' sets

In fact I'd like to make a metro system one day where I'd use sloped track to make part of the track on street level and part of it below ground.

That, if it becomes reality, would be lovely! The monorail itself can indeed go "up and down", so it can also be implemented at street level, but I get your point there and it would add a bloody awesome new twist to LEGO transportation.

P.S.: Matt, unfortunately you're so very right about what you said regarding common sense :] At the end of the day though, I guess we won't be seeing a rework of the 6399 Airport Shuttle or anything resemblant in that size soon, since LEGO already have quite a few expensive sets out there and with the abundance of Exclusives next year I'd expect them to rather focus on mid-range sets...

Edited by TheOtters

Monorail was only available during my dark ages and I never felt the urge to catch up.

To some AFOLs the monorail is almost like the holy grail but it never quite did it for me.

Interesting topic and discussion. As a fan of steam engines, as well as classic 12V sets, I'll have to say Trains (ground level track). I think Monorails are somewhat limited in terms of what types of vehicles one can run on their elevated track. There's no limit when it comes to ground level trains.

I would probably go with monorails. The actual monorail trains are pretty limited in what you can do with them, but the track can be laid out in all 3 dimensions and offers far more possibilities for interesting layouts. It's not just the fact that the track is elevated, but the system contains ramps that easily let you change the elevation.

Some really nice replies, I enjoyed reading them all :classic:

I think alot of people would like to have a Monorail in their city but the cost of it is so high these days that getting enough track for a decent sized layout is quite hard or very expensive. I had hopped that the new Indy track would become common enough to make a sort of light rail system like the DLR in London but it doesn't seem to be appearing in any other set.

Maybe one day we'll get another monorail system based on power functions with cheap track, otherwise I think most of us just have to stick to ground trains.

This is very true that the Monorails from the past are very high priced. Even the space ones cost about $200.

Also I agree that maybe one day LEGO will make a Monorail again with PF but I don't think it is very likely as they have already planned regular city trains next year.

Well, since the question is asked that way - I personally would go for both, of course!

Without an actual ground track, we wouldn't be able to include trains in our setups, which would be a crying shame. Aside from having to miss out on the likes of the Santa Fe Super Chief or the Emerald Night (which by itself is a tragedy :P), that would also mean no freight being hauled by the BNSF & co. along the rails of LEGO cities - and the industrial element that ground tracks add is so important to any city!

That said, I can imagine how most of you guys with large tabletowns really feel the need for an elevated rail. It's not only practical and space-saving, it's also an instant eye-catcher. I personally would love to have an elevated railway in our town someday, however I've recently started wondering whether that would all not look a bit too much! I'm planning on adding a tram circling the streets of our town and seeing as I love trams so much, I will most definitely add that ground-rail-based means of transportation. I will also have more ground railway transport going on and with that, having a monorail just might seem a bit too much...

But then again, who am I fooling. We all love Monorail to bits, me included. So if LEGO were ever to release another Monorail set, I'd snatch it straight away (especially knowing that I'd have to pay hundreds and hundreds of EUR in order to obtain one of those legendary 6399 Airport Shuttle sets). Even if the design were not that good (which I doubt, given the "return" of good City sets), just having those coveted elevated railway pieces would totally be worth it!

Nicely summed up! :thumbup:

Very true about ground rail trains and how many from the past would have not been possible with out ground level track. Also that the past monorail had limited carrying capacity.

In the end every City fan loves a Monorail.

Interesting topic and discussion. As a fan of steam engines, as well as classic 12V sets, I'll have to say Trains (ground level track). I think Monorails are somewhat limited in terms of what types of vehicles one can run on their elevated track. There's no limit when it comes to ground level trains.

This is also true.

I was afraid for this poll, but luckily I could choose both :classic:

My track is absolutely elevated, because it gives me a chance to build in some play area on a different level. I could no do without it.

I really am intending to get a train set next year . . .

How is this related to this topic? *huh*

Does this mean you voted for ground level Track?