Sign in to follow this  
74louloute

Welcome to "The Crimson Curtains"

Yess! First one to post on this amazing MOC! I saw it on flickr and rushed over to eurobricks to comment on this creation. I absolutely love it! I really like the dynamic poses of the minifigs. The only minifigs witch are assembled are the female pirate and the massuse in blue! Wow the poses just blew my mind! The facial expressions are perfect to. I absolutely love the dark red curtains upstairs and the use of minifig legs in the window. The arches above the dark red curtains, those car things, are very lovely too! I like the mix of brown and dark brown on the floor and the skull patern is a very nice addition too. Kudos for the torso of the peg leg pirate. The skull with crossed bones on the base of the MOC is very awesome too! There are some minor things I'd change, if this were my MOC:

-The tan cones with the claw in it holding the tube look good. I would only like to see more of those supporting the tube. There are two big open spaces which would look better if filled.

-I'm not a fan of the red Indian legs you used for the wench upstairs. But it does look like she has a towel lying on her lap, and I guess that was the look you were going for.

-Maybe you could change the color of the sofa the left pirate is lying on, Dark red or dark blue would look very ritch. But on the other hand it could also be a massage table, and then brown would be the best choise.

-I'm not so fond of the minifig arms for table legs...

Lovely moc and good luck in the competition.

Edit: I just noticed the awesomenesso of the brown lightsaberbars above the curtains and the great rock chair!

Edited by badboytje88

Wow, good looking MOC, a kinda SPA for Pirates! Unique idea, much luck with the contest!

Another great piece! The pirate getting the pedicure/foot massage is smiling because he knows his feet stink! That chandelier is looking good too!

What impresses me about this MOC and why:

1. The curved railing. Sometimes angles and curves are rather hard to do with LEGO pieces. The curved railing made me think right away that the whole upper level is curved even though it isn't. Using black floor and a curved railing was a great optical allusion.

2. The actual crimson curtains! A very nice way to make brick look like real curtains! I especially enjoy when an MOC has a creative name that is based on the MOC itself. Did you choose crimson because of its sultry symbolism in older times?

3. The chandelier is simple yet elegant. It adds to the MOC without taking away from the overall appeal.

4. The inlaid floor is a treat to look at! I enjoy the dual idea of a wood floor with a pattern in the center. This made me really believe the piece and buy into it. I also like the two bed in the room and how they are differently made. Very cool and unique!

5. The way the left pirate is sitting is simple but again very well thought out. I really enjoy the mods and staging you have done with the minifigs.

6. You really made me believe that the pirates are enjoying themselves.

7. Last but not least is the swords and skulls you used to decorate the foundation. Many times we look at this "cutaway" style MOC and it looks like it just cut, "cut away". But this MOC looks more like a display that a hacked out scene and I think the biggest reason for that is the small decoration you put to bring the whole creation together. This may be a small detail, but I enjoy it emmensly!

What troubled me about the MOC and why:

1. Stone over wood. I seem to be the only one with this particular concern but stone should always be on the bottom and the wooden part of the structure on top. You do not see castles, buuildings, houses, or anything else with a wood foundation and a stone structure. Stone is the foundation and then wood is used to flush out the entire piece. Some solutions would be to make the whole MOC into a wood color. Or choose another color for the top besides gray to make me believe that it is not stone but rather a painted wall?

2. The windows have very nice detail but the top railing leaves too much space and make the frame of the window seem disjointed. Maybe find another piece of the tops of the windows?

3. I do really enjoy the floor but maybe mix up that dark brown tile to the left of the skull to avoid having a big dark brown spot? Maybe mix all of the floor tile up a bit to make it look like different wood?

As you can see my concerns are much fewer and much smaller than what I like. A very impressive MOC and I think one that has a serious shot at the title!

Good Luck!

-martinsuper

Already commented it on flickr, but that's really an ace entry Louloute ! bien joué!

I love this MOC! What a really good and funny idea. Do you think there would be a secret entrance for the more manly pirates who would be embarrassed being seen going in to a Day Spa?

The fact that all your LEGO pieces are SO shiny and new looking just adds to the clean Spa effect. Well Done! So many awesome details. (I :pir-wub: the little fruit table made with arms)

Wow, that's truly an outstanding creation and very creative.

I really like your skull in the floor and the way you positioned the minifigs.

The overall look is quite harmonic also. :thumbup:

What I noticed though is that on the big reddish brown bow piece on the right, the studs show up while they're quite nicely tiled on the left one! :imperialguard_commander1:

Other than that small aspect a great MOC that imo would deserve winning.

Excellent entry! A great idea complimented by even better buildings skills.

The chandelier is great. The dark brown is used as highlights and I love them! :pir_laugh2: I also like the ideas used for the floor along with the women. :pir_kiss: (I think that emoticon fits here) Anyway the crimson curtains look lovely. Brilliant idea in making them. Even the pirates look great, especially the posing of each and everyone of them.

I do feel that some of the walls could be a little more interesting, maybe some maps on the wall or additional candles. (After all it does get dark at night). The horns also look great and take up some of the wall space, but maybe an entire buffalo would look good with those horns. :pir-tongue: The beds are also nice, but having them look so different from each other is a little odd. Maybe making them the same would help, but either way it would still work. Maybe one still needs to be covered in sheets.

Anyway excellent entry and I love some of the parts you've used and especially in the ways that you've used them. Not a dull-minifig in this entry. :thumbup:

'The Crimson Curtains'? You are so naughty! :pir_laugh2:

Very nice work, with lots of detail. The posing of the figs is superb. I especially like massage table guy and the skeleton bas-relief at the base. The mixing of classic fig parts and newer pieces is top-notch, too - I love the red-bodiced lass!

I disagree with martinsuper about the bley - is there some hard and fast rule that bley stands for stone and only stone? :pir-sceptic:

Wow... where do you people find the inspiration to enter one contest after the other and still come up with such original and brilliant ideas?! Well done, louloute - I know you're a Pirate fan first and foremost, but I guess with that lovely French train you instantly became a Train Master in my eyes... And with this, you've become a Naughty Train Master Pirate MOCcer (yes, that could make a rather good title, if I do say so myself!).

Apart from the red curtains, the other thing that instantly caught my eye here was the amount of disjointed minifigs used in the creation of this MOC's details... Ingenious... yet quite spooky and downright evil! I kept looking for a minifig head hidden somewhere in the stone walls on the second floor. Then I realised that the dead minifigs adorn the sides of the first floor... Well, happy Helloween to you too!!! :pir-skull:

You should definitely heed martinsuper's advice regarding the stone-over-wood thing and consider a change in colouring. Since I feel that the grey stone walls work wonderfully for the second floor, I'd suggest replacing those 1x2 and 1x1 brown round bricks used for the first floor's walls with dark red round bricks - that would add to this MOC's naughty feel (and don't tell me you didn't mean for it to come out that way!), while at the same time helping the structure look less like it were built on wood with stones on top. Besides, the floor would stand out even more that way - and if you'd also just mix up those brown tiles a bit more, as martinsuper suggested, that would look absolutely perfect.

Now, I can't help but wonder what you mean by that "discreet and calm atmosphere" you've subtly mentioned there... But since the doors behind the "crimson curtains" are closed, I guess we'll never know... and I think it's better that way :pir-blush: