Sign in to follow this  
Hound Knight

The Tower of the Sable Knight

indexed.gif

"And, likewise, they perceived that across this stream of water there was a bridge of stone, and that upon the other side of the bridge there was a smooth and level lawn of green grass, whereon Knights-contestants might joust very well. And beyond this lawn they beheld a tall and forbidding castle, with smooth walls and a straight tower; and this castle was built upon the rocks so that it appeared to be altogether a part of the stone. So they wist that this must be the castle whereof the page and Sir Griflet had spoken."

sable_thumnail.jpg

(^ Yon image linketh to gallery)

"For, midway upon the bridge, they beheld that there hung a sable shield and a brass mall exactly as the page and Sir Griflet had said; and that upon the farther side of the stream was an apple-tree, amid the leaves of which hung a very great many shields of various devices, exactly as those two had reported: and they beheld that some of those shields were clean and fair, and that some were foul and stained with blood, and that some were smooth and unbroken, and that some were cleft as though by battle of knight with knight. And all those shields were the shields of different knights whom the Sable Knight, who dwelt within the castle, had overthrown in combat with his own hand."

- King Arthur and His Knights (Howard Pyle)

I enjoyed reading King Arthur and His Knights, and it's neat to see a creation from it. Your tower feels unimpressive though, particularly compared to the giant portcullis that takes up the entire front. I realize you need a large entrance to allow the Sable Knight to ride out, but such a large door on a relatively small tower doesn't look good. The tower itself isn't bad, and I like the tree. I normally like light grey structures on dark grey rocks, but in this case I think it would be better to have the base and tower the same colour, so the tower looks like it is "altogether a part of the stone".

I enjoyed reading King Arthur and His Knights, and it's neat to see a creation from it. Your tower feels unimpressive though, particularly compared to the giant portcullis that takes up the entire front. I realize you need a large entrance to allow the Sable Knight to ride out, but such a large door on a relatively small tower doesn't look good. The tower itself isn't bad, and I like the tree. I normally like light grey structures on dark grey rocks, but in this case I think it would be better to have the base and tower the same colour, so the tower looks like it is "altogether a part of the stone".

H'm... I like your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for my next castley creation. :classic: Thanks.