Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

Job advert at TLG - Graphic Designer

Check out the whole advert here (Adobe document)! Apply no later than 31 August!

Discuss and enjoy :sweet:!

Whoa. Dream job, even though I'm totally not qualified for it (although I do have professional Photoshop and Illustrator skills). My sketches haven't progressed much past the third grade. :cry_sad:

Check out the whole advert here (Adobe document)! Apply no later than 31 August!

Discuss and enjoy :sweet:!

Wow, I would love this job.

I can draw really really good freehand, as that is always my prefered method.

The only problem is that I have some difficulties with Photoshop, and I would not want to live in Billund.

Thinking about it though, the people with these jobs would see the newest sets before anybody else does, and design boxes/banners for the sets, correct?

Thinking about it though, the people with these jobs would see the newest sets before anybody else does, and design boxes/banners for the sets, correct?

No this position seems to be all about the graphical design of the actual products, that is printing and decals on the bricks. Other people are taking care of the box design, and other graphical design promoting the products.

Graphical designers work closely with the set designers, and the rest of the differenty people in PDM. it's a great place to work.

:classic:

Edited by Front

This would be my dream job, especially combined with LEGO! :thumbup:

Capt. Kirk slips in my mind when I read this, he's great at designing. I sure hope he reads this job advert. You never know! :tongue:

Edited by Matn

Crap, not again... Every time they offer this job I'm not ready yet. I'm still earning my degree in Graphic Design; infact, the biggest reason I'm going into Graphic Design is to obtain this job. I just hope there is another job opening in 2012-2013 :sad:.

But I am glad that you guys post this on Eurobricks. It makes it easy to see the job opening.

Edited by Pigbrick

Hello guys. BrickMiner here.

I actually applied to a position with LEGO with the same requisites in January of this year. I wasn’t chosen to fill the position though it had been decided by LEGO (because of the many talented applicants) to ask the front end/development area if any of the applicants could be used in their area of development as well.

Though I have withdrawn from eurobricks and the online community, and the GTWLUG (because of relocation), I am still very much interested in considering a position with the LEGO company and my enthusiasm for the brand of products is at a new peak (though directly following the letter back from LEGO on February 17th I was crushed and it did take some time to recover!)

This past July, I exhibited at the SDCCI and meet with Megan Rothrock from Brick Journal. Correspondence with her has re-stimulated my interest in the inner workings of the company and the processes of product development.

At the time my initial portfolio was being developed (November/December of last year) I had each of my local LUG members review my submission for suggestions toward improvement. I now would love to share my portfolio here for any feedback that might contribute toward building a more prefect portfolio to re-submit to LEGO now or in the future. Understandably, I wasn’t given any feedback from LEGO directly.

Of course I would love to add more diversity to my portfolio, including my work in the LEGO City sub-theme “Industry”, as well as my current work which includes development of sets and characters and overall package branding of a LEGO Arabian Knights theme.

Though the portfolio features quite a bit of illustration work, I would also love to add more free-hand sketch work (non-finalized illustration) of LEGO stylized characters.

Here is a link to my portfolio and CV, feedback is appreciated.

http://www.urbansequence.com/dropbox/LEGO_...p_CV_screen.pdf

http://www.urbansequence.com/dropbox/LEGO_...p_PF_screen.pdf

Thanks guys - BrickMiner

Hello guys. BrickMiner here.

Thanks guys - BrickMiner

Hey Justin! I owe you a phone call! Miss you! I really wish you the best with this. I'll take a look at your resume and get back to you as well. :sweet:

I would love to work for LEGO, but this one isn't the position for me. I don't think I can draw as well as the position requires.

That, and the fact that I'm still in high school...

Oh, well. I hope TLC will still be running and producing LEGO in six or so years...

I'd love the job... but sadly (mostly due to the free-hand drawing skills) I'm not qualified.

Brick Miner You however are more than qualified! I looked at your work (I'd already seen most of it bar the comic book stuff) and it's stunning. Don't give up! :sweet:

(I miss seeing you around... :cry_sad: )

BrickMiner, it's looking good! Since I'm still earning my degree, I feel I can't give a too creditable response to your portfolio but I still want to point certain things out.

Your opening is strong with your illustrations, which of course is necessary to grab attention, and also your last submissions of your Ghost Town theme looks polished with good camera work and lighting. However, your middle with the Wild West theme feels a little older. The lighting and picture quality doesn’t seem nearly as strong as your last submissions so if you are able to retake those pictures, I feel you should. The sets look great but I think you can bump up the picture quality a little.

The next part I want to point out is a little weird for me to talk about since it could fall under different taste in styles. The decals on the minifigures look good but I personal think certain line work could be thicker and change in line width. Certain details that are thin and too straight become damper downed because of that. An example of this would be your orange cowboy, the one that is also illustrated (which looks amazing). I think to better show cloth and the roughness of the West would be to have some changes in width in the line. The Cowboy's shirt has a straight line going down his button shirt but I think it would feel more Western if it was a little wavy and had change in line width. I think the best example of what I'm talking about is the decal of Indian Jones' button shirt. Here's a picture:

indiana-jones.jpg

The different thickness in line adds depth to the decal in a simple manner. I notice most adventure like themes in LEGO sets have this kind of style to them. Also, I feel that some of your decal line work is too thin for certain things. If you make them just a little thicker I feel they might pop out a little more.

Your portfolio is very clean and very well designed in presenting your stuff. It feels unified and solid. You show the decals by themselves and on the bricks/minifigures. Great work on that! I have really nothing else to say about your set up; it looks great!

And you said you have other theme work you were going to add, right? I back you up on that decision. The more diverse you can present yourself in your work, the better. It will show that you can handle any theme thrown at you.

Your freehand looks great and what you are covering is defiantly building up to be something awesome. Just go a little further and I think you are there :classic:.

And, later down the road, can I ask you for some tips since you're working in the field that I want to break into :blush:?

Edited by Pigbrick

When I apply for a job, I write a very short letter stating: who I am, which kind of person I am, why I want the job, and what I expect to get out of the position, and what the company could get out of it.

In my opinion, there is way to many detail of what you have done in your application. Details are boring.

btw. I did not need to write a letter to get my current job :-) But that's just me.....

Edited by Front

Darn you college! :pir-sing:

This would be a fairly neat job to have, but as mentioned before... I'm busy furthering my art knowledge. :hmpf_bad:

I'll take a look at your resume and get back to you as well. :sweet:
Thanks Hinckley. BTW, if you didn't get my last email - Congrats on the the master builder job. I hope it is going well for you out in sunny California!
Brick Miner You however are more than qualified! I looked at your work (I'd already seen most of it bar the comic book stuff) and it's stunning. Don't give up! :sweet:
Thanks for the encouragements!
The different thickness in line adds depth to the decal in a simple manner. I notice most adventure like themes in LEGO sets have this kind of style to them. Also, I feel that some of your decal line work is too thin for certain things. If you make them just a little thicker I feel they might pop out a little more.
Yes. LEGO has been using a more cartoony style (by use of varying line weights) for far more than ten years now. When I designed my WW figures I was going for the more classic "designy" look - the classic waiter is the flagship icon of this style in LEGO minifigures. Though, as you brought up, even the official WW figures are more "cartoony" and less "designy." I'm not exactly sure why i opted for the style that I did. Probably a little out of classic preference, and possibly a little inexperience on my part at the time of creating those designs. However, when I designed my LEGO City decals I definitely recognized this modern preference and chose a more animated look - here I'm referencing my billboard, in particular.

Thank you for the pointers, and these are all things I have recognized, and probably because of divided obligations have not acknowledged them as of yet. This is probably the encouraging I need. Thank you.

And of course we can talk later - I should let you know that I do not have a college degree, though i have been working professional in the illustration field for a few years - so I'm sure our different background experience would be valuable to each other.

- BrickMiner