WesternOutlaw

Rail Crossing: The Forgotten Piece

traintech1.jpg

railcrossing.jpg

Over the years, I've admired many train layouts (in pictures as well as digital designs), but have noticed one piece that's not used very often. That piece is 4519 Rail Crossing, for 9V layouts.

Is this piece a difficult part to add to a layout?

Do smaller layouts NOT afford an opportunity to use this piece?

Have you used 4519 in your layouts?

Is 7996 Rail Crossing for R/C Trains a better rail crossing?

How well do you like this track piece?

Discuss Rail Crossing 4519 here.

Over the years, I've admired many train layouts (in pictures as well as digital designs), but have noticed one piece that's not used very often. That piece is 4519 Rail Crossing, for 9V layouts.

Is this piece a difficult part to add to a layout?

Do smaller layouts NOT afford an opportunity to use this peice?

Have you used 4519 in your layouts?

How well do you like this track piece?

Discuss Rail Crossing 4519 here.

I think, one of the reasons is that it didn't come out until the latter days of the 9V era. I have used my 12V version very often (as a kid) to make a figure 8 track. I now consider this piece only useful for letting two tracks cross vertically (although at this moment we don't use it, but we have some of them).

I didn't and won't use this part for some reasons. It's not very useful for a small layout, I think. Mainly because this piece requires two tracks that are at right angles to each. And thát requires another curve, and so space. I think the RC part is more useful. It's the nicest and most compact solution to lay down two tracks next to each, where two trains can run independently and in different directions. Maybe some layouts will afford it, but not mine.

Edited by Richie

I do understand the reason for smaller layouts, but when I build a layout, I often use the 9V rail crossing.

It adds much more fun to it when you drive 2 or more trains at once and have at least one crossing within.

I have bought two 4519 to build two independent circles with two "hot spots".

Like here:

bild0653.jpg

To the right: passenger trains. To the left: Freight trains. Both operated at the same time by children.

Okay, during the 6 hours display we had about 3-4 crashes, but nothing too serious.

Where would the thrill have been without it? :grin:

I have 3 of that track piece. My brother bought me an extra one as a design challenge.

I had only ever been able to use my 2 in a previous layout as a neat way around a L shaped table layout

It's been a long time but I did manage to use all three in my current layout

clayout.jpg

The biggest problem is I generally have long trains and this piece leads to collisions. The first time I used it I had some Lego Mindstorm monitor one of the tracks and halt the other train prior to collision. The latest layout using all 3 was built for an exhibition. The idea being is the goods train was just short enough to make it around the right side loop without colliding with itself. Then at various points during the exhibition I would split the train in half and add an extra loco. This would ensure a major accident on the layout within a few minutes. Kids love a good train crash but it only takes a few minutes and everything is put back together and going around again.

This piece is difficult to add without causing collisions?

Smaller layout can still make use of it in goods yards and sidings?

I like this piece but find it can cause de-railments if curves are connected directly to it.

If you have the space use straights.

Edited by pe668

Is this piece a difficult part to add to a layout?: It tends to be easier if you have a lot of other train tracks

Do smaller layouts NOT afford an opportunity to use this piece?: Yeah unfortunately its true

Have you used 4519 in your layouts?: Yes but not with two intersections

Is 7996 Rail Crossing for R/C Trains a better rail crossing?: I don't own a R/C so its hard to say

How well do you like this track piece?: 3/5

I really think its a piece thats only useful in large displays. :hmpf_bad:

In my opinion this is a very risky piece of track, what if 2 trains try to cross at the same time :cry_sad:

As I only own rc track i do not have to worry, but I am shaking of the thought by using it :oh3:

railcrossing.jpg

I'm now taking TheBrickster's pic for orientation to clarify my example: Imagine you add track to the upper left part of the crossing and the track comes back on the upper right part, forming a loop. You must always make sure the track is long enough for long trains; otherwise the train will crash into itself. My brother enjoyed doing that, by the way.

Another reason why I don't use it though I have two of them is they need a lot of space. If I had more space, I'd certainly use it because I have lots of curves with which I don't know what to do. Crossings are ideal if you don't know what to do with all your curved tracks.

a figure of eight with a short train can be nice but it takes up more space than an oval and it lacks straight for staitions.

That reminds me. I had a very small table set up in the home computer room, with a Wild West theme. With limited space, I placed the crossing in the middle of the table diagonally to create a basic figure 8. It was narrow enough to make it work on the table, and created a Wild West junction. It worked pretty well.