Sign in to follow this  
Zorro

Review: Sabre Island 6265

Sabre Island... The Imperial Soldiers have received new orders from Governor Broadside: build a fortified outpost near the coasts of Legoland, to detect any Pirate activity and provide a first defense against them !

Set name: Sabre Island

Theme: Pirates

Subtheme: Imperial Soldiers

Set number: 6265

Number of pieces: 92

Minifigs: 3

Released: 1990 (discontinued)

Release price: 15,50 USD

Current price: 24-40 USD on ebay and Bricklink; up to 130 USD for MINT

Peeron

Bricklink

My Brickshelf pics

The front of the box

6265-1.jpg

From Brickshelf, with thanks to Whitefang.

Instructions sheet: front pic

front_pic.jpg

The Dutch version.

Instructions sheet: back pic

back_pic.jpg

A picture of the set

overall_pic.jpg

A very complete set, including the island with a tower and a cannon, a sloop and 3 Imperial Soldiers minifigs.

First, the minifigs that come with the set, and a little something about the best parts

minifigs_6265.jpg

Frontal view.

backs_6265.jpg

3 Minifigs are included with Sabre Island, 2 Imperial Soldiers and an Imperial Officer. You can also see the bulk of their weapons (a total of 3 cutlasses, 2 muskets and a pistol).

Other valuable items are the cannon, the flags and the sloop (the sloop is not that expensive, but a must have for your Pirates playset).

Peeron

The cannon post and the front of the fort.

frontpic_6265.jpg

Let the pirate-scum come !

A look inside the tower

a_look_inside_the_tower.jpg

Nothing special to see in the tower itself, but we have a better look on how the outpost was build..

Backview of the tower

backpic_6265.jpg

You can place the minifigs and their equipment into the fortress through the back. This would be the easiest way since it is completely open.

The sloop

the_sloop.jpg

The patrol sloop, with an Imperial Soldier that guards the perimeters of Sabre Island.

My summary:

Price: 8/10 (I think it was a fair price when it got released in 1990. Not that extremely cheap for a 92 piece set, but still fair due to the expensive parts included like the cannon and the 3 imperial soldiers.)

Design: 8/10 (The tower and the island are not that large, but they form a nice addition to the larger Pirate/Imperial soldiers sets.)

Minifigs and parts: 9/10 (3 Imperial soldiers are a lot for this cheap and small set, I don't give it a 10 though, because Sabre Island lacks a pirate minifig.)

Playability: 7/10 (We really could have used at least one pirate, just to have some "good" and some "bad" guys.)

Overall: 8/10 (A good and very popular set. I would never sell mine, it is just too much a "classic" for that !)

Thanks for the review Zorro! This set has always been a favorite of mine, despite that I don't own one. :pir-cry_sad: I have considered picking this up in the past, and now I'll definitely reconsidering. Thanks again for the review!

I don't own it, but this is definitely a favorite of mine. It would make an nice entry to a port. The minifig assortment is great and I just love the canon placement behind that little plastered wall.

If a new version of this set would ever be released, it would almost certainly not include two soldiers and a captain again (rather the compulsory one captain and one soldier, not a very big span of control :pir_laugh2: ).

Saved my allowance for that one, it was the biggest pirate set I could afford. Spent so many hours playing with that fort, ahhh.... the memories!

I don't own it, but this is definitely a favorite of mine. It would make an nice entry to a port. The minifig assortment is great and I just love the canon placement behind that little plastered wall.

If a new version of this set would ever be released, it would almost certainly not include two soldiers and a captain again (rather the compulsory one captain and one soldier, not a very big span of control :pir_laugh2: ).

I'd put my money on one soldier and one pirate.

This was one of the best sets from the original Soldiers line, imo. This set seemed to be the 'prototype' for the dock tower in the Imperial Trading Post.

I agree! This definatly was one of the very best sets available during the first two LEGO Pirate lines.

And thanks guys, for the positive input :thumbup: !

Your review is definitely spot on- and the pictures sure bring back the memories.

I think I only have the baseplate, half the minifig parts, half the tree and the flag remaining...

Great set, very useful when building an army.

I have bought about 7 or 8 of these in good used condition for about 10 euro's a piece. That is a really good win as they cen send it to you in a letter. :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks for the review Z! :thumbup:

Great set, very useful when building an army.

I have bought about 7 or 8 of these in good used condition for about 10 euro's a piece. That is a really good win as they cen send it to you in a letter. :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks for the review Z! :thumbup:

It still needs to arrive, but I've just bought a 6265 Sabre Island, together with 6259 Broadside's Brig, and 6235 Buried Treasure for €15 including shipping! I got 6245 Harbor Sentry (apparently only missing a paddle) as a bonus! :pir-sweet: