Sign in to follow this  
SirNadroj

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

indexed.gif

Turkish delight on a moon-lit night!

Every gal in Constantinople lives in Istanbul not Constantinople, so if you've got a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul!

(Love that song by They Might Be Giants.) :tongue:

A quicky to show off the sweet, sweet fezs.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x222/si...oj/istanbul.jpg

Thank you thank you. :classic:

Love the MOC and the song, nice job on the fountain thats my favorite part. Good use of the speed racer head too, it works great there.

Very nice. My parents come from Istanbul, and I have been there many times, so it makes me happy seeing a MOC based on this great city. This MOC doesn't exactly remind me of anything I have seen over there, but it still looks good. Do you have any reference pics that you used to make this?

I have not heard the song before. I might have to check it out.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Here is a

of the song! Loves it!

I think the MOC is spectacular. I love how you have used the brown heads in the railings upstairs. :thumbup:

Very Nice Jordan... saw it already on flickr but this deserves an additional comment... :wink:

Considering I've got Flood loaded on my IPod, I more than approve!

Great build and nice use of a new element. One interesting thing, though: it's been illegal to wear a fez in Istanbul since 1925. When I visited a few years back, not a fez was to be seen. Highlight of trip: humming TMBG while walking from the Blue Mosque to the Hagia Sophia! :wink:

EDIT: Upon reflection, the true highlight of the trip was my rest in S

Edited by the enigma that is badger

Very nice. My parents come from Istanbul, and I have been there many times, so it makes me happy seeing a MOC based on this great city. This MOC doesn't exactly remind me of anything I have seen over there, but it still looks good. Do you have any reference pics that you used to make this?

I have not heard the song before. I might have to check it out.

Echo here. I really like this MOC, but it doesn't remind me of Istanbul.

Visited Istanbul three years ago. Never heard of the song either.

Thanks for sharing. :classic:

Nice moc Sir Nadroj!! I love Ottoman history so I can relate further to your moc. I really liked the details with the rug hanging on the walls and the water drinking fountain, as I said love the details in it.

The only thing I would point out is the usage of the turban on one of the characters, I just feel it looks more Indian than Middle Eastern, but again that's the only turban you can find within the Lego sets.

But once again, an excellent job there mate!!

Great job Sir Nadroj. Love the water fountain, how did u build it? (don't know the brick)

But why did u use Greedo's torso? :tongue:

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Lion

Edited by Darth Lion

Wow, this looks very good, especcialy the carpet and the fountain!

Here is a
of the song! Loves it!

Thanks for that link. :thumbup:

Wow. What an awful song. It's so annoying, I can barely bear to listen to it for more than a few seconds. I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it. :sceptic:

Sorry, but it's just not my taste I guess. :sadnew:

One interesting thing, though: it's been illegal to wear a fez in Istanbul since 1925. When I visited a few years back, not a fez was to be seen.

Good point. That and the fact that this MOC doesn't remind much of present day Istanbul show that it would probably be better if this MOC was called "Constantinople (Not Istanbul)". :wink:

Btw, Jordan, how about replying to the comments on your MOCs for once? :hmpf_bad:

Very nice work. Greedo's torso works very well there.

Where did that rolled up rug with the frayed edges come from?

Steve

Lovely MOC but it doesn't have much to do with İstanbul, this looks Arabic :)

Lovely MOC but it doesn't have much to do with İstanbul, this looks Arabic :)

In those times, it was more Arabic then now.

In those times, it was more Arabic then now.

Sorry but this is not even remotely true. Turkish architecture has been very different from Arabic architecture even from the very beginning of Oguz (Kayi Turks) migrations. Selcuks, beyliks and the Ottomans had their unique style of building. When the Turkish style was settled in the 13th, 14th centuries, Turks had just conquered the Arab lands so there was very little inspiration between styles. You can say Turks have been influenced by Persians / Mogols, that would be true because we have always been in very close contact. But Turks were not influenced by Arabs. It was the Mamluks (Kipcak Turks) who build most of the architecture in Arab lands. That's because Arabian settled life was long gone after the Muhammed and caliphs, Abbasis & Emevis. They were practically nomads when the Turks came. Settled life came back when Turks started offering military service to them. But most importantly, Morocco was never ruled by any Turkish power so it would be a very big historical mistake to think that anything Moroccon would be involved in Istanbul, they have absolutely no relation or whatsoever. Anyways don't get me started .. You could buy some Arabian tourism guide and compare Turkish buidlings with them (not that there are many left, they are destroying anything Turkish in the Arab lands)

Western orientalism and ignorance ('Im sorry to use that word, I couldn't find a politicaly correct one) is an upsetting thing. Turks and Arabs are different just like Slavs and Franks are different. Not all Europeens are the same and not all Muslims are the same. Islamic building certainly have similar elements but they are different. Hindus, Arabs, Turks, Persians etc had their own, unique architecture. Uh .. :cry_sad: