DaCheese

Early morning at Brick Lane MPD

Well, it's a ridiculously early time in the morning to be up and about at, but there is at least a good reason for it. The Lego Railway Travel Society has been running railtours for many years using steam locomotives owned by other groups and individuals, but just over a year ago it bought its own loco, the idea being that a more modern machine would be able to operate on the main line at speeds more in keeping with timetabled services and with increased reliability. The result was the arrival in the UK of Denmark-built "Emerald" class 4-6-2 no. 10194 Emerald Night. This was an unexpected move and was the subject of much discussion on the many websites frequented by UK steam nuts.

The "Emeralds" were large Pacific locomotives built in small numbers relatively late in the 20th Century. They were a mixture of established steam technology and newer ideas, incorporating many labour-saving and efficiency improving devices into what was otherwise a machine spookily similar to the British A3 class in terms of shape. I won't bore you with performance figures but it has been frequently said that these locomotives could at times outperform many of the diesel and electric locomotives that replaced them. 10194 was therefore ideally suited for the LRTS' needs.

So why have I sneaked through the gap in the fence at the back of Brick Lane sheds, the LRTS' base of operations, at such an early hour? 10194 has been in a dismantled state for most of her time on UK soil. The society wanted to make sure that she was fit for the job and set to work on a no-holds barred heavy overhaul, taking the opportunity to add some modifications in preparation for UK use. She spent the weekend in the paint shop, and today she's on her first running-in turn. Until she goes into regular use on LRTS tours she'll be in action at night. Less trains run at this time of day, minimising disruption to services, and the society wants their baby seen by as few as possible until her unveiling. Well, I have a camera, so sorry folks...

en1.jpg

When seen in the flesh, I mean steel, even under the shed's fairly poor lighting system, this really is an imposing machine. In general the changes to the original design are hard to spot, as most are under the surface. Lamp irons must have gone on though as the headcode lamps above the front bufferbeam must be attached to something. The lamps' position implies that she'll be on some kind of express today, although it seems a tad unlikely when she's only just been put back together.

en2.jpg

Easily seen however is the nameplate's new position, now on the running plate as is common on UK locos instead of the side of the firebox as originally built. The connecting rods have been replaced with longer ones that join the coupling rods behind the centre axle, presumably to smoothen out the engine's original rough movement at low speeds; this was a fault with the design as built.

en3.jpg

The tender seems to have been modified and resembles an eight wheeled version of one of the BR standard designs, increasing the coal capacity and making the tank filler easily accessible (the original design had this hidden; not popular with crews!). Note the tender cab, the portion of cab attached to the front of the tender to give the crew more protection and allow them to look ahead more easily when running tender first.

en5.jpg

en4.jpg

Right, enough fiction/nonsense. These changes were made a few weeks ago one by one. I've only just got around to posting the images. I might do some more alterations at some stage, and I'll post images of the City Corner bus built in right hand drive if anyone's interested.

Is there anyone else in the UK who ordered the Emerald Night collection and hasn't had all their PF parts yet? I'm waiting for the transformer. Not long after the release of the collection the website changed to say it was due to ship on the 2nd of June. Since then it's been repeatedly getting further away, so it's going to be a long time before I can recharge my EN's LiPo (the ratings given for the transformer in the battery literature give non-standard ratings of 10V DC and 600mA, so I can't get a non-official transformer to do the job instead).

I'm pretty sure the adapter for the 9V controller is 10v 600mA, you could try that. Don't blame me if it goes wrong though :grin:

Laurie

I'm pretty sure the adapter for the 9V controller is 10v 600mA, you could try that. Don't blame me if it goes wrong though :grin:

Laurie

I can remember asking if the adapter of the 9V speed regulator could be used to recharge the PF battery box. I think I asked that in the Emerald Night thread. The reply was NO. So I wouldn't try.

Thanks for your replies. I think I've read somewhere that the new transformer is to conform to some new safety standard and the old one isn't compatible. It's a bit galling to know that your EN arrived in time for your 18th birthday at the start of May but you're not getting to play with it properly for at least another two months...

The date given on the Lego S@H site is the delivery date for a new order. Your order from way back when shouldn't take that long. Hopefully it will still ship around the 2nd June or perhaps a little later. Try ringing Lego with your order number, they should be able to track its progress for you and give you a revised delivery date.

Laurie