Jasbrick

WWII American Airborne Pathfinder

Hi,

This is my final WWII custom and I decided to end with a US Paratrooper. This guy is a pathfinder checking his map to ensure that his groups rendezvous with their transport plane is exactly as planned:

wwii_american_airborne_pathfinder_1.jpg

His left side showing the handpainted Airborne insignia:

wwii_american_airborne_pathfinder_2.jpg

His right side showing Flag and rank markings... as well as my Thomson:

wwii_american_airborne_pathfinder_3.jpg

I hope you like him.

Jasbrick

One more drop of awesomeness from you and I WILL WET MYSELF!

Your painting is, well, awesome!

Your custom is, well, awesome!

You are, well, AWESOME!

*Tinkle, tinkle*

SEE? Your so awesome I wet myself!

:tongue:

Great work!

~A.S.

this is a really good custom. Most everything seems to be detailed and accurate. However there are a few small things I noticed with his insignias: The insignia on his hat is for the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division(the "All Americans" - hence the AA painted inside the blue area) but the insignia on his left arm is that of the 101st Airborne Infantry Division (the "Screaming Eagles"). This is a slight problem with having both of these insignias - this guy cannot belong to both infantry divisions at the same time. While the insignias are accurate themselves, they shouldn't be combined on the same fig.

If someone here has information otherwise I would be delighted to learn more, and please do correct me. My uncle was in the 82nd Airborne in Ft. Bragg, NC up until a few years ago so I've been to their museum on the base a few times.

That point aside I really like this custom and I hope to see more like it from you.

this is a really good custom. Most everything seems to be detailed and accurate. However there are a few small things I noticed with his insignias: The insignia on his hat is for the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division(the "All Americans" - hence the AA painted inside the blue area) but the insignia on his left arm is that of the 101st Airborne Infantry Division (the "Screaming Eagles"). This is a slight problem with having both of these insignias - this guy cannot belong to both infantry divisions at the same time. While the insignias are accurate themselves, they shouldn't be combined on the same fig.

If someone here has information otherwise I would be delighted to learn more, and please do correct me. My uncle was in the 82nd Airborne in Ft. Bragg, NC up until a few years ago so I've been to their museum on the base a few times.

That point aside I really like this custom and I hope to see more like it from you.

He, He... I am glad you take my work so seriously.... however he is not actually wearing the hat, in fact this hat belongs to his mate who has just gone for a pee before they all ship out ;-)

The hat was done separately and in the absence of a more appropriate item I just stuck it in.

Jasbrick

How did you make the parachute bag on the front side of the minifig?

Amazing job on this one. I'm speechless!

How did you make the parachute bag on the front side of the minifig?

Amazing job on this one. I'm speechless!

Thanks... the bag is a piece from an Action figure that I spotted in a discount store. It was way too big so I had to cut it right down and rebuild it with Greenstuff, then repaint it.

Jasbrick

I must say, this is a really impressive custom, Jasbrick!

One question:

Was his hair a previously existing part, or is that made from scratch?

I must say, this is a really impressive custom, Jasbrick!

One question:

Was his hair a previously existing part, or is that made from scratch?

Thanks... the hair is a normal lego hairpiece that I trimmed down and painted. It can come off if I want to replace with a helmet.

Jasbrick

(Jaw droops) I seriously LOVE that Fig it is WICKED :devil:

Good job :thumbup: The decals are very detailed.

Awesome work!

This is one of the best custom minifigs I've ever seen!!

The details that are found on this are simply superb.

I love how you customized the bag from another toy soldier!

And the minifig with his thompson looks great, I am deeply impressed.

Firstly, let me say this looks fantastic, and just goes to show the level of detail that can be accomplished on such a small figure. As a follow up nitpick ala meschepers, is the US flag on the right shoulder facing the right way? Shouldn't it be reversed indicating a flags true movement of a soldier always moving forwards and never backwards?

(I always wondered why flags were the wrong way around on uniforms until I heard that explanation in a documentary...)

But nit-picking aside, I wish I had one! :)

Firstly, let me say this looks fantastic, and just goes to show the level of detail that can be accomplished on such a small figure. As a follow up nitpick ala meschepers, is the US flag on the right shoulder facing the right way? Shouldn't it be reversed indicating a flags true movement of a soldier always moving forwards and never backwards?

(I always wondered why flags were the wrong way around on uniforms until I heard that explanation in a documentary...)

But nit-picking aside, I wish I had one! :)

Thanks... If it is wrong... then the reference picture of the real soldier I copied it from was wrong ;-)

Jasbrick

Wow this is your best yet, looks very accurate! :thumbup:

The only improvement i can think of is the swimming vest, wouldn't it be possible to modify the original swimming vest so that it looks a bit smoother?

I don't usually dig up old topics but I gotta say thats good!

I am listening to Blood On The Risers and it made my think about the 101st Airborne. I remeber getting the action figure with that parachute pack in a 99p Store in Sutton. It had the White helmet with Red stripes on it didn't it? :thumbup:

Sorry for digging it up. Just had to say.