1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be doing up the fourth item in the SHELL Promotional series in 1999. There are a total of eleven promotional sets which made up of six impulse sets and five medium sized sets. These promo sets were bought in 2000 from United States (California), when my family and I are on vacation. Unfortunately, these promo sets that I have are not complete.

This is the first Shell Promotional set review which I have done.

Starting with this impulse set, is a very cool looking sleek 3-wheel motorcycle bike that travelled from one point to another without a moment to lose. The rider is out there to save people whom is injured or in danger. :sweet:

Name: Tri-Motorbike

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Promotional / SHELL

Year: 1999

Pieces: 20

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$1.70

An image of a 1249, Tri-Motorbike

1~0.jpg

No time to lose

normal_2~0.jpg

Indeed, there is no time to lose for this white rider on this lovely tri-motorbike. Gearing up his white helmet on his head and securing his briefcase at the back, he is out on the streets, moving as fast as he could to reach his destination.

Could you actually tell that he is a paramedic just from this picture alone? I am sure you will tell if you are observant enough. It took me a long time to realise that this rider is a paramedic by nature. I thought he was a businessman that love to travel with his briefcase on his unique white bike. :laugh:

Take a look at him

normal_3~1.jpg

Judging from the rider's appearance and attire. He is defintely a paramedic that is on duty with his trusty tri-motorbike. How did I eventually find out that he is a medic? It was a concidence when I took a careful look on his attire especially on his left chest which reveal the Medical Corps logo and comparing the logo against my ambulance. :blush:

Tri-Motorbike features

normal_4~2.jpg

Tri-Motorbike was a new bike design which was introduced in 1998 till 2002. There are quite a couple of various colors ranging from Black, Blue, Red and Yellow bikes as well. I have not seen a real tri-motorbike in Singapore itself. Therefore, I am not very sure if the design is accurate or not.

From the look of it, I felt that this is a very good bike design to add on to your collection. LEGO citizens will have more options to ride on instead of the usual motorbikes and bicycles back then. If I remembered correctly, this design seemed to be the one to kill the older design of white motorbikes which is used frequently by the Police Department back then. Look out for it at the end of the review. :wink:

At the front of the bike, it allow the rider to steer left and right. However, if the rider's arms is holding onto the handles, it can only move straight.

Secure compartment

normal_5~2.jpg

At the rear of the bike, there is a secure compartment for the paramedic to place his briefcase filled with vital medical equipment in it. This is a very neat little feature which made use of common parts to secure it from dropping off from both sides. The blue lights on the top represent that an emergency vehicle is moving at a fast speed and asking you to give way to it. :tongue:

Let's go for a race

normal_6~0.jpg

Starting line

normal_7~2.jpg

On your left lane, the Paramedic is ready in his tri-motorbike.

On your center lane. the Traffic Police Officer is starting up in trusty white bike.

On your right lane, the German Nazi soldier is accelerating his engine on his scrambler.

And, the race begins

normal_8~1.jpg

This is a very good impulse set to buy more tri-motorbikes. More paramedics for your hospital and a briefcase as well. I can't find any complains unless you don't like the entire design. It's defintely not as great as the older motorbikes. But judging it on its own, it certainly score a high one. :sweet:

Summary review

Playability: 9.5/10 (One of the quick emergency vehicle available. It can be taken apart and used like a regular motorbike)

Design: 9.5/10 (Design is well taken care of, especially the secure compartment for the suitcase)

Price: 10/10 (This set is very inexpensive to get more tri-motorbikes )

Overall: 9.7/10 (This bike is a great addition to any LEGO Town or City, especially for your hospital operations)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Good review! This is a nice set for its cost. I like the minifigs torso, it suits a person who would go around on a motorcycle. Otherwise, this set is a bit boring.

Excellent review WF! I'm glad you still have a few sets left to share. I like this little motor bike. Three-wheelers always look so much fun. I also like how you added a few other bikes for the "Great Race", although the Indy bike is my personal favorite. :tongue:

In any case, these Shell promotional sets were very nice. I may have this one, but not sure. I have to check the stock pile. I remember finding these at a Dollar Store several years ago. For whatever reason, I only picked up a few. Very nice set and an excellent review! :thumbup:

Good review! This is a nice set for its cost. I like the minifigs torso, it suits a person who would go around on a motorcycle. Otherwise, this set is a bit boring.

Thanks. I don't really find this set boring. For a town collector, more modes of generic tri-motorbike are great to have in any town setup, where we can use this bike for other purposes for our citizens. :sweet:

Excellent review WF! I'm glad you still have a few sets left to share. I like this little motor bike. Three-wheelers always look so much fun. I also like how you added a few other bikes for the "Great Race", although the Indy bike is my personal favorite. :tongue:

In any case, these Shell promotional sets were very nice. I may have this one, but not sure. I have to check the stock pile. I remember finding these at a Dollar Store several years ago. For whatever reason, I only picked up a few. Very nice set and an excellent review! :thumbup:

Thanks Brickster! I was looking back, and realised I have left a very few to contribute, which reminds me of getting more of such reviews back on track, like what we did back then. Glad you have enjoyed it. This set is incredible small and useful, which is so affordable for us to grab a few more without hesitation. :blush:

I miss those Shell promotional sets. In fact, these promo sets lasted for 2 years, where it was so easily available in petrol kiosk. I will love to pick those sets up, anytime. :grin:

Edit: Brickster, thanks for that lovely write-up in Classic Town. :wub:

Excellent review WhiteFang!

It's really great that you 've posted the photos with the 3 motorbikes together (doing it in a cool and creative way :wink: ).

I don't own any Tri-Motorbike :cry_sad: (dark ages) and it was helpful to estimate the size. :thumbup:

I really like this set. Considering that it was promotional makes it earn more points. The secure compartment works really nice in my opinion. The torso is very good, so a 5/5 from me.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

"At the front of the bike, it allow the rider to steer left and right. However, if the rider's arms is holding onto the handles, it can only move straight."

So true! :laugh:

I love reading your review. I own a few tri-motorbikes from the Community Workers set but I never use them. I still miss the old motorcycle, :cry_sad: I hope it wins the race! :devil:

I have this set, from shell promo where you bought more than a certain amount of fuel ($50?) and buy it for $1.99.

Used to be part of my few childhood toys, parents rarely indulge me with toys and I was too shy to request :cry_sad:

The tri-motorbike also came with the 2003 world-city police mobile command trailer set, so in total I have 2 of these.

To my horror after a few years of not playing with them, the rubber wheels degraded and turned all sticky and oily, needed a wash in wd40, dishwashing detergent, contact cleaner.

Now they are converted into white speederbikes similar to 7676 design.

Edited by green dewback

Your review is excellent, don't misunderstand me.

But I hate this type of bike. It's far too big for in a minifig layout. That's why I voted poor, propely I will be the only one who things this way........ :tongue:

Guys, thanks for all of your kind words. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed reading this mini review of mine, with a little creativity inside. :tongue:

"At the front of the bike, it allow the rider to steer left and right. However, if the rider's arms is holding onto the handles, it can only move straight."

So true! :laugh:

It's a true fact! :tongue:

I love reading your review. I own a few tri-motorbikes from the Community Workers set but I never use them. I still miss the old motorcycle, :cry_sad: I hope it wins the race! :devil:

I do miss the old motorbikes, and I prefer the old ones better than any of the current bikes available. I believe these tri-motorbikes are subsitute for the past bikes. Well, I do own the Community Workers too, and that set offer many of such bikes.

Your review is excellent, don't misunderstand me.

But I hate this type of bike. It's far too big for in a minifig layout. That's why I voted poor, propely I will be the only one who things this way........ :tongue:

I was about to jump on whomever, voted for poor earlier. But, it's nice of you to state that you are the one, and reason why you select poor. I can understand how the way you feel about such bikes, when compared to the earlier versions. At least, you have tell me why you have selected poor. I am never fond of people voting for poor without telling me why they feel that way. :look:

Great review of the great little set, WhiteFang!

I really like that motobike design, unlike some of you, gentlemen. ) :sweet:

I guess it looks good for any city, and definitely great to have one or two in your collection. The new one does look cool, but, in my opinion, this one is far more LEGO-like. ) :classic:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet: