Sign in to follow this  
simonwillems

Half timbered Townhall

indexed.gif

Hello again!

This must be the first MOC I post in this forum. Being more of a town & trains person myself I decided to build a town in medieval times for a change and started building before the Medieval Marketvillage was announced.

I will post the entire town later on, but for now I bring you the Townhall.

I intended to post this in the community castle build competition, but when going over the rules again I discovered that such an entry must be fitted on a plate no bigger then 16x16... This building covers twice that span :sceptic: . Well, maybe I'll make something legible some other time.

So in the MOC-part it goes and not in the contest!

The building we see here is a townhall, I was heavily inspired by the townhall of the German pictoresk city of Michelstadt.

townhall002.jpg

That roofpieces set from last year may seem to contain a lot of roofpieces, but I used them all and even some more on this building... :wink:

townhall001.jpg

The building from the side, showing most of the half-timberedness and some technique I saw a lot on brickshelf where you can squeeze some plates and tiles between two bricks to create an angled look,

townhall003.jpg

And here is a shot of the insides: I made just half the interior, the other half should have contained a staircase but I never got round to making that, I had an entire town to build and decided I could use the bricks needed for the stairs elsewhere... :grin:

p3140168.jpg

And finally the inspirational picture. I visited the town myself some years ago and instantly liked this building with the mysteriously lacking first floor.

That's it for now, more pictures can be found in the Brickshelf Gallery of this building, containing also two teaser pictures of the entire town.

Questions and comments are welcome!

:classic:

wow, you should change from trains to here!

It sure looks great, espacially the roof and the bay window look great!

My family once hosted a German exchange student from Michelstadt, Germany. He showed us a lot of pictures of his town and I must say that you captured the essence of the building wonderfully. I believe the underside of the building was used as a market center. It was shaded so merchants could keep their ares out of the weather.

Great work!

Edited by meschepers

A very fine work! The timber framing looks very interesting and I like especially these two charming oriels and the neat window design. :thumbup:

Dear Simonwillems,

Great build. :classic:

you captured the original verry well. :thumbup:

I've never seen such a building done in Lego before.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Great MOC! Nice design (specially those corner windows!) and pretty close to the original :thumbup:

Useful for medieval and nowadays city :wink:

Edited by BlueBard

Just great building there Simon, shame it was too big for the competition. Still I look forward to other creations from you.

Cheers

Now I must check out those teaser pics.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, it's really appreciated!

The black thing of the roof (I suppose that it's a chimney) looks beatiful. Is the soldier of the inside room a statue :look:?

The chimney is actually a bell tower in the original building but I could not make a bell that was small enough to fit in there...

And yes, the soldier inside is a statue, made out of a harnass, two pikes and a helmet.

Dear Simonwillems,

Great build. :classic:

you captured the original verry well. :thumbup:

I've never seen such a building done in Lego before.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thank you!

I have been following your castle project closely and it inspired me to make the walls of my town, since I had never made any castlebuilding of this scale before.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, it's really appreciated!

Thank you!

I have been following your castle project closely and it inspired me to make the walls of my town, since I had never made any castlebuilding of this scale before.

Wow, thanks buddy. My buildings inspired you? I consider this a huge compliment. :oh::classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Very cool building! The two tower-like structures on the front are particularly well done, and give the creation a more unique look than it would have otherwise.

The one thing I don't like is the white colour of the wall at the bottom. I know white is accurate to the original, but having the stone and tudor the same colour doesn't look right to me.

I look forward to seeing more of your town. Thanks for sharing!

I was pretty sure I already posted to say that it's a really awesome moc ? but I can't find my post, so I'll just say it again ^^ tha't s a wonderful moc and very accurate! great job ! :thumbup: