Pieces: 169

Minifigs: Stormtrooper, TIE Fighter pilot

Price: $20.00 U.S.

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

7146-1.jpg

From Amazon

It's a great thing to have when you're a Jedi Knight, but the Force is completely unnecessary when it comes to putting together LEGO kit number 7146, the Star Wars TIE Fighter. That's because the timeless LEGO interlocking system of components--delighting youngsters since "A long time ago"--makes this tie-in to Star Wars a literal snap. The 169 pieces (including blocks, panels, and a few novelties such as a pair of armored soldiers with removable helmets) and full-color assembly instructions provide an effortless pairing of two classic originals.

I got this used last year for a pretty fair price (about $30). Tie Fighters have been the only really consistent release for Lego Star Wars, with 5 variations, plus some re-releases. All of them use the same fundamental building technique, so maybe it would get tiresome, but since this is the original, all the rest are copying this guy.

The Instructions

Very short book, very large. I'm sure now it'd be made half the height, and twice as long.

img_0711_2.jpg

A real nice touch is the movie scene showing at the top of the page, this set showing a scene from Jedi

img_0713_2.jpg

Only 12 pages for the build, the remaining pages showing what was available at the time (if you could go back in time... :cry_sad: )

img_0714_2.jpg

img_0715_2.jpg

The Pieces

The pieces have a fair amount of repetition to them, but if you ever wanted to get a lot of little blue vents, this is the set for you.

img_0718_2.jpg

Printed pieces

There are 5 printed pieces, which is nice. I love the cockpit cover.

img_0720_2.jpg

The Finished Product

The stand for this is fantastic, and makes display a lot easier.

img_0675_2.jpg

Cockpit open

As far as I know, this isn't how a real TIE fighter cockpit works, but a real model would be too hard on the fingers to put the figure in and out.

img_0685_2.jpg

Closed

It looks quite close to the movie version, except for the supports on the wings, which are structurally necessary for a LEGO set.

img_0688_2.jpg

3/4 view, this looks almost perfect. The only difference from the movie is there is no web shape on the inside of the wing. That would be an easy mod if you wanted it though.

img_0689_2.jpg

A nice simple wing design.

img_0693_2.jpg

Back 3/4 view

img_0694_2.jpg

The back is alright, not spectacular. The shape is good, mildly spherical, but I don't know why it needs those little beige pieces.

img_0695_2.jpg

Overhead, cockpit closed

The printed piece looks real nice, and I like the way the blue pieces trace the shape.

img_0699.jpg

Open

img_0700_2.jpg

The cockpit isn't overly techy, but it fits the pilot well, and is fairly easy to get in and out of.

img_0705_2.jpg

The stand

I love this stand, and I wish more ships had this sort of thing (like the Magnaguard Fighter, or General Grevious' Fighter) since they look a little flat on my bookshelf. I'm using this for the new Vader's TIE fighter right now.

img_0708_2.jpg

The main product

This is really cool looking.

img_0709_2.jpg

The minifigures are alright. The Pilot is hard to take pics of though.

img_0678_2.jpg

Here is the stormtrooper next to a 2008 version. The newer one has a much better helmet painting, and the body paint is sharper. (new on the left, old on the right)

img_0682_2.jpg

Just a pinch of yellow sticking out under the helmet of that old trooper.

img_0684_2.jpg

Final verdict

Design: 9/10 It is a classic ship, that the company has barely altered in 10 years, compared to the massive overhauls all the other early ships got. It is fairly sturdy too. The only thing I might criticize it for is the wings are slightly wobbly. But, it doesn't show on the stand it comes with.

Build: 7/10 The cockpit is fun to make, but the wings are boring and repetitive.

Playability: 8/10 Grab it in the back and fly it around!

Minifigures: 9/10 Early stormtroopers, early TIE pilot. No complaints for a $20 set.

Price: 7/10 It's not fantastic, but fair.

Overall: 8/10 This is a nice, simple ship that holds up when compared to current ships, and has quite a legacy in the LEGO Star Wars line. All the other TIEs (Interceptor, Bomber etc.) are nice, but this is THE TIE Fighter, the image people usually get when they think of TIEs. If you can find it for a good price, by all means pick it up.

Cheers all.

I like :thumbup: they should still have the stand and an extra fig in newer sets like this one

I like :thumbup: they should still have the stand and an extra fig in newer sets like this one

Definitely. The extra Stormtrooper and especially the stand make this the best version of the TIE fighter. I got one of these sets on eBay a couple of years ago, and I love it. The printing on the stormtrooper was pretty crooked, but I think that was a common problem on the early troopers.

Thanks for the review!

This was brought out in the time that the SW sets were constructed with mostly standard bricks (give or take a few minifigs and printed canppy pieces...). After a few years so many specialized pieces entered the theme and so many re-designed sets came out that I completely lost interest in Star Wars Lego.

I always liked this set, unlike most ships it could be displayed very beautifully on that lovely included stand with the weird tube, and I left this set in one piece for a long time.

I remember how hard it was to get this set back in the days: for some reason this Tie and the Imperial Shuttle were nowhere to be found in the Netherlands, although they did appear in that years catalog. I only saw it once in a shop and bought it right away.

Only 12 pages for the build, the remaining pages showing what was available at the time (if you could go back in time... :cry_sad: )

img_0714_2.jpg

Haha, I have every single set in this picture! :devil:

Great, detailed review, and lovely pics! I, too, loved this set when I got it, especially because it was the first ever stromtooper!

One thing I noticed though, you put the orange part on the wrong end of the trooper's megaphone-blaster. Not that it matters, but now it looks even more like a megaphone!

Still, great review of a great set, and sets with stand are always more awesome than sets without!

Great review for a great set! I really like this set, and I only wish it was in grey like the tie fighters really are. I also like that a stormtroopers are included.

I wish that they remake a tie fighter with the grey edge in the near future. It would go great with Darth Vader's Tie fighter!! :sweet: