Sign in to follow this  
I Scream Clone

Subterranean Shenanigans

indexed.gif

Subterranean Shenanigans: A Dwarven Mine MOC

First of all I tip my hat to some of the great builders who have inspired me to create this. Sly Owl, Mister oo7, and DNL

They have been instrumental in taking my building from this to what you see before you...

25.jpg

2.jpg

23.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

18.jpg

14.jpg

Brickshelf when moderated.

Flickr

This was a blast to build, and took me a long time to get the details right, I hope you enjoy.

Photoshopped thanks to Cpt Pegleg Blockbeard

25.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Cheers

ISC :classic:

Great work, ISC!

I love the mine tracks and especially the conveyer belt/ ore processing apparatus. It looks very sturdy and chunky! The tiles look fabulous, sort of askew and well-worn, and I like the usage of the black taps/ brown disks. The gears look very appropriate as well. Did a Sandcrawler die so this MOC may live? :grin:

If I was going to add anything, I'd maybe like to see a few more minerals poking through the walls, or even a nook or tiny cave where an innocent dwarf is stumbling towards the glowing yellow eyes of a dragon or other monster...

So this is what you've been up to since you can't enter the EBCCB contest!

This whole scene looks really nice. The water fall is a really nice touch, but my favorite detail are the big brown rollers. That would be a good technique for making big barrels, too. In fact, before I looked closely, I thought that's what they were.

Great work! :thumbup:

~Thrash

P.S. I like how you posted this same exact post on brickhorizons too. I do that with all of my EBCCB modules, but I've learned that you have to be careful about the smileys and the URL tags...their smilies don't use the same tags and their URL code excludes quotations. It's a pain always changing that stuff...

Edited by Thrash

Wonderful techniques, here, ISC. :thumbup: I really like the waterfall, mine cart rails, and rock cliff faces. The only thing that I would suggest would be some sort of domestication for the dwarfs, such as a table for eating.

Outstanding piece of work, and by far, my most favourite castle moc among your creations. :wub:

The rock formation is massive and with its irregular shaping of the different grey parts, it is able to show the built of this mountain. I love how you incorporate the entire mining flow into this moc, with the use of the wheel, rails from SlyOwl's idea, wooden pillars, carriage and the mine processing equipment. It's so lovely and very detailed. :thumbup:

Great work, ISC!

I love the mine tracks and especially the conveyer belt/ ore processing apparatus. It looks very sturdy and chunky! The tiles look fabulous, sort of askew and well-worn, and I like the usage of the black taps/ brown disks. The gears look very appropriate as well. Did a Sandcrawler die so this MOC may live? :grin:

If I was going to add anything, I'd maybe like to see a few more minerals poking through the walls, or even a nook or tiny cave where an innocent dwarf is stumbling towards the glowing yellow eyes of a dragon or other monster...

Yes, sadly a Sandcrawler did die for this creation, but well worth it IMHO. I was intending on including a Rock Monster climbing out of the refuse pile of rocks but ran out of room (and bricks)

So this is what you've been up to since you can't enter the EBCCB contest!

This whole scene looks really nice. The water fall is a really nice touch, but my favorite detail are the big brown rollers. That would be a good technique for making big barrels, too. In fact, before I looked closely, I thought that's what they were.

Great work! :thumbup:

~Thrash

P.S. I like how you posted this same exact post on brickhorizons too. I do that with all of my EBCCB modules, but I've learned that you have to be careful about the smileys and the URL tags...their smilies don't use the same tags and their URL code excludes quotations. It's a pain always changing that stuff...

Thanks mate, I agonised over the roller construction for some time before hitting on a winning idea which I will definitely be using again :wink:

And yes I did post on BH as well, got to share the love after all. I have also noticed the text fonts and colours don't work there too.

Wonderful techniques, here, ISC. :thumbup: I really like the waterfall, mine cart rails, and rock cliff faces. The only thing that I would suggest would be some sort of domestication for the dwarfs, such as a table for eating.

Thanks Jim, There was thought of a domicile for the Dwarves, but alas room was again the issue.

Outstanding piece of work, and by far, my most favourite castle moc among your creations. :wub:

The rock formation is massive and with its irregular shaping of the different grey parts, it is able to show the built of this mountain. I love how you incorporate the entire mining flow into this moc, with the use of the wheel, rails from SlyOwl's idea, wooden pillars, carriage and the mine processing equipment. It's so lovely and very detailed. :thumbup:

Thanks WF, I'm glad you all approve, It was a labour of love. :sweet:

This is a remarkeble, outstanding creation! I really like this.

You've made some nice things in it like the machine, the waterfall (!) and the tracks. I really like it. :thumbup:

I guess this took some time to build it all...but the result is here!

Fantastic creation. I love all the stuff you've put into it, like the waterfall and Dwarven machinations. The big crusher machine is wonderfully built too, I especially love all those brown 4x1 tiles and the technic gears.

it there was one criticism I would give, it's that the rocks could look a bit more like proper rock formations, right now they look a bit like piles of grey bricks. That said, the mine carts and tracks and all the other details really outweigh that, excellent work!

Batbrick Away!

I love this creation so much I will comment it in two locations.

I love the waterfall, did you have to buy the bricks especially for it?

Your skills have certainly improved, but I would guess so have your brick collection. Sometimes ones own skill can be inhibited by what they have. I see you as a masterful builder and I look forward to your future creations as your collection grows!

Regards,

Cpt. PB

This is absolutely fantastic. There are a lot of individual features in this build that I absolutely love. The brown rollers, the water fall, the mine cart tracks... I could go on and on. All in all, I really like this. Thanks for sharing this build.

Fantastic creation. I love all the stuff you've put into it, like the waterfall and Dwarven machinations. The big crusher machine is wonderfully built too, I especially love all those brown 4x1 tiles and the technic gears.

it there was one criticism I would give, it's that the rocks could look a bit more like proper rock formations, right now they look a bit like piles of grey bricks. That said, the mine carts and tracks and all the other details really outweigh that, excellent work!

Batbrick Away!

Thanks Batbrick, The rocks are a little bricky here and there, but there are only so many slopes in my collection (though I always order more whenever I do a BL order :grin: )

The main focus of the MOC was everything going on around the rocks themselves, though I am always looking to improve my rocks, so thanks for the criticism. :wink:

I love this creation so much I will comment it in two locations.

I love the waterfall, did you have to buy the bricks especially for it?

Your skills have certainly improved, but I would guess so have your brick collection. Sometimes ones own skill can be inhibited by what they have. I see you as a masterful builder and I look forward to your future creations as your collection grows!

Regards,

Cpt. PB

Yes I noticed the double posting, thanks. You are definitely right about being able to achieve more with a bigger brick collection. Sadly this will probably be it for MOCs till May, as I am in the process of moving house, so its all gotta be packed up soon. I did have to buy the Trans blue bricks, the clear plates were a gift, from PAB.

Thanks mania3 for the nice words

Very good MOC! (Huge understatement :grin: ). All the techniques you used are perfect. I particularly like the waterfall, the excellent rock formations, and the that huge "ore-mover". I'm looking forward to May. :tongue:

Looks good! The various machinery and structures are very cool, and the waterfall is a neat touch.

I think the pattern of the rock formations is fine, but the the mix of light and dark grey looks a little messy. I personally prefer dark grey as the primary colour, more like the far right side of the creation, as oppesed to the left nearer the waterfall.

It's not very obvious that this is underground... Until I saw the picture by Pegleg Blockbeard, I thought it might be just outside the mines. I would recommend adding a slight overhang around the top with inverse slopes, to suggest that there is a ceiling overhead.

As I said, I like the machinery, but it doesn't all seem to connect right. Do the dwarves have to feed the stones into the roller by hand, and then run around to the other side and collect them? At least some kind of bucket at the end might be warranted.

Even so, this is my favourite creation from you. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Looks amazing, the cave itself is just awesome and the machines make it complete.

Cpt Pegleg Blockbeard's pic makes it look like its underground, else I would not know it either, besides the fact I was told it was.

Still, :thumbup: from me.

Wow, so many details!

First off, my favorite part is the tunnels. I almost wish I were that Dwarf in there!

Second, the hole structure just seems so... big?

Thirdly, I like how you designed the mine cart tracks.

Improvements:

Nothing!

:jollyroger: Captain McSkivvies :jollyroger:

I simply love that waterfall. :wub: But were did you get so much trans blue 1by2 bricks?

Most likely off this guy. I ordered 100 of them and 30 of the 1 x 1 trans dark blue bricks.

As for the 1 x 2 plates trans clear, they were a PAB gift :grin: