Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Farm House

indexed.gif B-RV-3D

Inspired by the new Lego Farm 7637, I've been experimenting with some designs for a Farm House using similar colors. I'm still working on this a bit, as I'm not real happy with the awning over the front door, but here's my Farm House so far:

farmhouserev1.jpg EDIT: New Design

farmhousef2.jpg Old Design

farmhousef.jpg

farmhousescene.jpg

It looks great so far! Maybe the awning will look better if you separate it from the red around the windows. Does the house have an interior? I can't wait to see the finished product.

Edited by soc399

I'm not real fond of the red around the upper windows. Its too much red for me. Also I think if you raised the entire house by one brick, so there was a front porch, it would look a lot better. I'm also not sure about that black line across the middle... Beyond that, I think it looks quite good. Does it have an interior at all?

I'm also jealous of your three cypress trees...

Steve

Very nice, I like it. I love the classic town feel to it, what with the green and red and the old door and windows. I like the little details too, like the flower garden outside and the simple but cool interior. However, I do agree that you should change the colour of the red upper windows. Perhaps you should change them to tan, or mabye even just replace the red window frames with black ones. Like Athos too, I think the farm house would really benefit from a small porch at the front.

Overall I think it's very neat, and fits in very well with the new 7637 Farm. Nice job. :thumbup:

First impression: This is what they left out.

If they added something like this, it would be a credible top end farm set. Even if there were not 3 cypresses in the set...

Actually, it could be a bit smaller if those stables and tractor were all just a tad smaller too, just to not push the part count up too much... but this style just fits.

The awning looks better in the last picture, and I agree raising the house by one brick might work.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I wasn't satisfied with the awning in the front nor the red window section on the 2nd floor (as some of you mentioned). I've added a porch and changed the 2nd floor and roof. Still working, but I think this looks better:

farmhouserev1.jpg

Now it fits that farm set perfectly. Great work!

As a MOC I would normally say it lacks a bit in detail (well, after all the cafe corner stuff...) but combined with that farm set it just works great.

Except, maybe you should add, like, 12 more cypresses? Just to make us all jealous....

Now it fits that farm set perfectly. Great work!

As a MOC I would normally say it lacks a bit in detail (well, after all the cafe corner stuff...) but combined with that farm set it just works great.

Thanks Eti. I like this 2nd version much better. I was really trying to capture the Classic Town look, but I am considering redesigning the 2nd floor once again to add tudor-style design (if I have enough brown 1x X plates).

Except, maybe you should add, like, 12 more cypresses? Just to make us all jealous....

Unfortunately, I only have four (one from the old Main Street set, and the others from Knight's Tournament x3 (383)).

A fine detailed farmhouse in a great and well fitting color scheme. :thumbup:

Maybe the columns, the awning and the balustrade looks a bit more like from some mansion of the American South...

I, personally, would prefer a design like that, similar to your own redesign, which looks indeed more consistent with TLC´s Farm set:

1203267803_1.jpg

Good Night John-Boy on... :grin:

Edited by Asuka

That are two great Farm MOCs, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I really like them.

The first farm house you designed reminded me a bit of a Western farmhouse if the roof and the balcony was changed a bit. :wink:

The new farm house looks very nice, too. And the interior is very nice, too.

I even like all the foliage plants you added to your farm houses - that makes them looking so calm and peacefully that you even in the addition with the official farm sets really think that you're now on a acre in front of a big farm. :wub:

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Redesign looks much better. The porch looks good and the fences along the top too. Though I think I liked the roof facing the other direction... I wonder if you could lower those flowers in front of the windows, they don't look right there... I'm also not sure I like the tan porch supports, but don't know what else would look better... Not red or white, I think...

Steve

Maybe the columns, the awning and the balustrade looks a bit more like from some mansion of the American South...

Yes, I was thinking the same. Perhaps is the use of the arches as opposed to straight windows.

The Waltons farm house serves as a good inspiration image.

The first farm house you designed reminded me a bit of a Western farmhouse if the roof and the balcony was changed a bit. :wink:

Thanks KD. It's hard to get away from the Wild West design for someone who's created a lot of WW MOCs.

I even like all the foliage plants you added to your farm houses - that makes them looking so calm and peacefully that you even in the addition with the official farm sets really think that you're now on a acre in front of a big farm.

It's those cypress trees.

Though I think I liked the roof facing the other direction... I wonder if you could lower those flowers in front of the windows, they don't look right there.

I have mixed views on the roof. I think the other roof design (1st creation) looks a bit European with the high roof. If I go with some tudor-styling, I may change the roof back.

I really like the color scheme and classic feel, but I am not sure about the white fence pieces on the awning of the new design (top picture currently). The fence pieces call to mind a balcony, but the top floor has no door. Maybe just some red slopes in place of the fence pieces would look better, or perhaps you could find a different fence design in brown. Still, this is a fine MOC as-is, far better than what I could build. :thumbup:

Thanks KD. It's hard to get away from the Wild West design for someone who's created a lot of WW MOCs.

TheBrickster, I didn't mean that the first house looked improperly and that a Western farm would be bad. In contrary: Perhaps you'd like to design a new WW farm based on this farm, won't you? :wink:

I even like all the foliage plants you added to your farm houses - that makes them looking so calm and peacefully that you even in the addition with the official farm sets really think that you're now on a acre in front of a big farm. :wub:

It's those cypress trees.

I totally agree with you, TheBrickster!

These cypress trees were so beautiful! :wub: I really don't understand why TLG stopped including them in newer sets! :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Great Job Brickster. I really like the look of this MOC. The color scheme, is a perfect complement to the farm set, and the details are just enough to make it ineteresting, but clean enough to fit the look of an official set. My one criticism would be..

The fence pieces call to mind a balcony, but the top floor has no door.

It's realistic as you have it, as lots of houses have false balconies on top, but a red door, (recessed in the same way as the windows on the second floor) would add alot of play value to the set, and would add a bit of visual interest to the second story.

It's realistic as you have it, as lots of houses have false balconies on top, but a red door, (recessed in the same way as the windows on the second floor) would add alot of play value to the set, and would add a bit of visual interest to the second story.

That's a really good suggestion. I had considered an upper door that I often add to my WW MOCs with balconies. I just didn't want to get a similar look like the 1st floor. I still have this little house set up, so I may just see what a recessed door would look like.

That's a really good suggestion. I had considered an upper door that I often add to my WW MOCs with balconies. I just didn't want to get a similar look like the 1st floor. I still have this little house set up, so I may just see what a recessed door would look like.

Perhaps a brick-built door would work? I've had pretty good luck with brick-built doors. They seem to look particularly good when recessed, as it helps to hide the fact that they are brick-built, and not a separate opening door. Here's two possible examples.

It's a bit hidden,but you can see the door behind the woman on the balcony. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/eilif/ba...streetscape.jpg

Here's another one, the entrance to a Chinese restaurant.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/eilif/ba...streetscape.jpg