Sign in to follow this  
brickzone

Church/Chapel MoC for Medievel Marketplace

indexed.gif

Yesterday I felt like creating something to go alongside my Medieval Marketplace which finally arrived late last week.

I ended up choosing to make a church (other possibility was a bakers, but I didn't feel like looking up the particulars). The church is pretty much made up on the fly, and it undoubtedly shows. I kind of went for just a little chapel-style building, such as the ones dotted around the Irish countryside, but of course I couldn't resist adding stained glass windows. I should probably upgrade it a bit with a bell-tower. Anyway, it doesn't have to be that proper.

Side view with windows lit up.

ch_side.jpg

Front view

ch_front.jpg

Rear view (yup, the stained glass style is a bit "modern" but it's rather tricky to arrange anything else than a cubist form with Lego in this fashion!)

ch_rear.jpg

Inside the church. I made some pews and a simple altar with candlesticks.

ch_inside.jpg

Due to lack of space and the simple adornment in the main hall of the church, I made a small room to the side to store whatever is needed for church services. The idea is that there is a cupboard under the books.

ch_room.jpg

Nice!

I like the stained glass and the seperate room.

It goes well with the Marketplace, good job!

Very nice! I like how your church is "openable" with a nice interior. If you rebuild it with a tower, please show us :classic:

The marketplace seems to be the set to own nowdays, for all us castlecollectors. And since I just passed an exam, I think I'm entiteled to it :tongue:

I like it, especially the stained glass windows look cool on this. Some ornaments above the door would be cool though, a cross or something.

The small library with the holy books is cool as well. :thumbup:

This is great! Mind if I borrow a few ideas to try my own? I'm inspired :classic:

A church like this would be the perfect way to blend my medieval marketplace into the modern part of my town in the layout!

A very charming work indeed and it fits truly perfect to the Marketplace. Very well done! :classic:

Great design :wink: I specially like the colorful windows, even if it looks a bit too cubist! :tongue:

If I can make one criticism, I would have put a cross anywhere...

Nice design and scale, fits right in there! :thumbup:

I have 2 points of critisicm though:

A large cross on the front facade and building the small roof into the wall so it looks more finished could be some nice improvements?

High Playibilty? Check.

Great Design? Check.

Looks like it works with the rest of the set? Check.

Great job man!The stain glass is very nice, and I like the way it opens up a lot!

Very nice indeed. I am in a process of building as well a church - foundation done, rest is waiting for bricks. I had exactly the same color black, light gray and dark gray in mind. Now I know that the combination looks very good for a church of age. And of course the windows you have made make your creation special. Thanks.

I like your seating, could you please make a closer pic of them - I am looking for a good sturdy design for park benches.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm going to leave it as it is for display here for the time being, just in case the modifications don't turn out well. I will post photos when I decide to modify it.

Certainly some detail above the front door would be good. Not sure if I would put a cross there, I might attempt a statue or freize or something in a recessed alcove. The belltower I would put a cross on though, and I might put a little one on the edge of the two roof peaks at the rear.

There are two crosses in the apse (the area that the altar is in) on the two side walls - it's just not evident from the angle of the photo. They incorporate short windows as the crossbeams of the crosses.

EDIT:

Photo of the side of the apse:

inside_side.jpg

Detail of pews:

pews.jpg

Just four headlamp bricks holding a 1x4 tile sideways, and a 1x4 flat attached to the rear. The back is just flats - either 1x4 and 2x4 held together by 1x3 verticals, or else 1x3 and 2x3 vertically on their own. I had only two red-brown 2x3 flats to hand or I might have just used two of those for each pew back.

Edited by brickzone

Very nice indeed. I like the front of the chapel. The round studs are a very nice touch to give the chapel some definition. Great job making it fit in with the Marketplace.

The 1x1 studs below the corbelling and the recessed arch within the main arch on the doorway makes for a very nice facade. Good work!