slimninj4

REVIEW: 8707 Boulder Blaster

Set Name: Boulder Blaster

Set Number: 8707

Year of release: 2009

Price: 27.99$ USD

Parts: 293

Minifigures: 1 man and one monster

Stickers: 1 sheet with 5 stickers on it.

First the box.

Front side. Here you have the vehicle in action against the monster (who is just trying to get a snack.) Bombs away

BB_6.jpg

Backside Flick fire TNT!!!! Yes it works. Shows some of the accessories included.

BB_7.jpg

Opening the box you have treads a bag of 1 monster (blue) and two number labeled bags. No problem.

BB_8.jpg

Sticker Sheet: I like stickers. I rather have stickers since I don't put them on. Same as the other sets. The grey splatter is a bit 3d effect.

BB_28.jpg

Instructions: There is only one booklet. Here are the insides.

BB_9.jpg

Random page:

BB_10.jpg

Don't poke your eye out!!

BB_11.jpg

At the read of the booklet there are a few pages showing all the sets and the combo sets that you can make.

BB_12.jpg

Ok, Enough of the booklet. Lets get to the meat of the set. Here are a few pieces I like. Of course the new roll cage. But I love the rubbery H part. I been wanting to get this piece for months now.

BB_13.jpg

FIGS:

Take a look at his head. He has a metal plate. Mining is DANGEROUS kids.

BB_14.jpg

I love the back of the head.

BB_15.jpg

This is my favorite minifig in the series now. He comes with a skull cap. This is a cap that is a bit crooked. I think it is like the criminal hat in the city sets.

BB_16.jpg

Pilo O Brick. There are only a few orange which is great. Lots of nice green.

BB_17.jpg

Nice parts in bag two. 3 TNT and 2 blue crystals my favorite and a rubber band.

BB_18.jpg

After completing bag 1 this is what you get. This is a great engine compartment. I love the detailing of it. The brown exhaust is a bit out of place and seems weird to me.

BB_25.jpg

BB_26.jpg

Left overs from bag one.

Not to many left overs. BB_27.jpg

Completed Set:

BB_29.jpg

BB_30.jpg

BB_32.jpg

BB_33.jpg

Comparison Time:

BB_35.jpg

BB_36.jpg

Conclusion:

For the price I think it is worth it. The set has some great parts and a blue monster with two crystals. ( I did not remove mine from the packaging. I plan to sell or trade it). The flicker fire works great for up to 12 inches. ( My wife was getting annoyed as I repeatedly shot her with them. My son loved it though. :tongue:

This is my favorite set of the series. I own all but the largest one which i have no intent on getting. I think it could of came with the real treads (small ones) and used a better wheel system but that would of increased the price.

Overall design: 5/5. Really do not like to give 5's but this set is really good

Playability: 5/5. Kids will love it. Adults will complain of juniorization and that annoys me. MOC it then. Read the box its for kids. Before you ask.. Yes the treads move fine on a smooth surface (my washer) and the carpet. Flick fire works well and is fun to use.

Pieces: 4/5. Yes only 4 since I would of liked to get a bit more greebles. I also wish it came with those new orange lights that are popular this year.

Price: 5/5 28$ for me. Great price and that is at TRU!!. I got the only one. Heheh

Overall rating: 5/5 I thought this was not released until I went to TRU to get some diapers. Found it and grabbed it so quick. Glad I did. Best Power Miner set for 2009 so far.

Edited by slimninj4

It's more expensive than the claw digger, but it's apparently much smaller. :sceptic:

This is a pretty good set, I do like the design and detail. The price isn't terrible but it's too high for me to consider getting this anytime in the near future.

Great review. :thumbup:

Great review! I really like this set. I think the minifig is awesome, apart from it not having a real helmet.

Thanks for the awesome review slimninj4. Truth be told this is the only Power Miners set that actually appeals to me as the model looks very detailed and solid as it doesn't have a huge amount of holes or giant pieces. Judging by the American price this thing will probably be about $35 Canadian which doesn’t seem that bad to me :classic: . What store did you find it in?

Odd that a minifig with printing on both sides of his head should come with a cap like that . . . I imagine it would be weird to be able to see both faces at all times.

Thanks for the awesome review slimninj4. Truth be told this is the only Power Miners set that actually appeals to me as the model looks very detailed and solid as it doesn't have a huge amount of holes or giant pieces. Judging by the American price this thing will probably be about $35 Canadian which doesn’t seem that bad to me :classic: . What store did you find it in?

Found it at Toys R Us. They also had the Clone War Solar Sail Ship.

Found it at Toys R Us. They also had the Clone War Solar Sail Ship.

Okay thanks :sweet: . I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it next time I go.

Thank you for that nice review, slimninj4. :thumbup:

A very neat set with lovely details like that checker design.

It´s also interesting that the spare wheel works as trigger.

Pretty nifty and playable for sure. Dynamite on! Poor rockies... :grin:

Interesting...possibly the only other Power Miners set I'll pick up from the current run ( as I already have the Mine Mech). Even so, it would've been cool if they had included one of those blue headlights w/breathing apparatus helmets instead of a stocking cap. The engine looks quite nice, and one can never have too much dynamite. Plus, the chassis brings up some interesting tank designs... (Muwahahaha! :laugh: )

Cheers!

-Nich

Cool set with a lot of details. The one thing that ticks me off is that the hat included won't cover the opposite face on his back. I don't want something looking front and back at me! :cry_sad:

BB_16.jpg

It's more expensive than the claw digger, but it's apparently much smaller. :sceptic:

This is a pretty good set, I do like the design and detail. The price isn't terrible but it's too high for me to consider getting this anytime in the near future.

Great review. :thumbup:

Did you look at piece count it has like 290 pieces or something that is alot of pieces for the price! :look:

But great review this set looks awesome!

Ah, a great review of the single Power miners set I want. It looks like a great set, and, while those dynamite flick-fire missiles are a little weird, this is just a fantastically designed set!

~Ak-47