F0NIX

MOC: old cinema and theatre

indexed.gif Fokus Kino B-OV-7D; Ishavskatedralen B-OV-7E; Verdensteatret B-OV-8A

A few years back I startet to recreat some of the buildings in my home-town. I startet with the strange building that was a cinema "Fokus Kino":

fokus_0000.jpg_thumb.jpg

This was fun and intresting and I went ahed with other buildings like the famous "Ishavskatedralen" (a church, "The Artic Cathedral").

2007-10-09__0005.jpg_thumb.jpgorginal_catredal.jpg_thumb.jpg

But now I have a more detailed project: an old cinema and theatre from 1915 called "Verdensteatret" (worldtheathre).

I am almost finished rebuilding the front building that has a realy nice facade. Here is a picture of how the first version looked like and the original.

2008-04-13_0002.jpg_thumb.jpg3130458310_2d6a0668c0_m.jpg

And I'm intresting in some help about what building techniques I should use on paintings on the walls?

3129621139_971f884ffc.jpg

More pictures in my Flickr gallery.

The front building is built on a single 48x48 baseplate. The theatre hall is probably going to be 2 or 3 of those baseplates long and 1 wide. The roof on the hall is going to be partial open to be able to look inside. As a cinema screen the plan was to use a PSP :)

I have until now found several diffrent approaches for making the paintings in LEGO:

1. Build the paintings as mosaic. Problem here is all the details will almost disapear as the size of the building is aprox minifig size.

2. Build thick walls and use minifigs to depict the people in the paintings. The hard part here is to get all the details and all those bright colors.

3. Build thick walls and use miniland (as in Legoland) size figures to depict the people in the paintings. Thus easyer to get all the details and all those bright color variations. But the size would be a problem.

4. Build normal thick walls. Build the paintings with miniland size figures and take photos of them, and print it and stick the photo to the wall. Thus I'm able to build larger to get all the details and colors. Problem is; its not LEGO-only...

(I've made the ornament on the front building this way).

Is there any other way to do this? Or does anyone any input/suggestions on the above mentioned techniques?

Edit (23.12.2008): Brickshelf moderator did not axcept non-LEGO pictures even if they are related to the LEGO model... Moved them to Flickr instead.

Edited by Phred

Veldig bra Øyvind :pirate:

Er dte fra der du bor?

Stilig Kino

(We are both Norwegians,you see.)

Could you tell me what that means :wacko:

Great mocs I say do mosaics for the walls.

I love your ice cathredral! I've seen that building myself on the trip on the Hurtigruten...

As to your movie theater, I'd like to see the real building but the 'original' folder is not accessible yet. Yours looks great thus far.

Veldig bra Øyvind :pirate:

Er dte fra der du bor?

Stilig Kino

(We are both Norwegians,you see.)

Could you tell me what that means :wacko:

Great mocs I say do mosaics for the walls.

GloriusShadow said:

"Very good Island-wind (my name translated :wink: )

Is it from where you live?

Nice cinema"

And yes, its from my home town Tromsø. So far I've only built buildings from my home town. There are still a some nice buildings left to build when this is finished ;)

Tim Bit: don't you think the mosaic will be too small to depict all the details? And which way to build the mosaic? Plate size with studs up so you see the smallest size of a 1x plate as one "pixle" in the image? Or are there ways to make even this "pixel" smaller?

Edited by F0NIX

Pictures of the orginal now moved to Flickr gallery.

Moderator on Brickshelf did not axcept the non-LEGO pictures even if they where related to the LEGO model...

Update:

2008-12-28_0002.jpg_thumb.jpg 2008-12-28_0003.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here is a few pictures of the inside of the cinema/theatre hall. Im not finished on the inside. There is a few details left on the columns. The paintings offcourse. And the roof. There is going to be a big hole in the roof so you will be able to see the inside.

2008-12-28_0011.jpg_thumb.jpg

And here is all 5 modules put together (3 for the front house and 2 for the cinema/theatre hall). Sorry for the mess around my working table. But I'm just finished so far and had to take some pictures to view how far I had come.

More pictures at my brickshelf folder when made public.

Oh! I almost forgot to tell you that I'm near 100% finished with the model now. The part that still have to be done is 8 of the 10 paintings. And one small little detail thats going to be finished tomorrow.

But the model is up for display now at the Rica Ishavshotel here in my home town Tromsø. It is at display at just that site because the administration of TIFF (Tromsø International Filmfestival) use that site as a meetingpoint and a hotel for the most of their guest at this festival. So most of the happenings in the evenings is going on there.

The workers in the TIFF organisation use the real "Verdensteateret"-building as their daily office usualy. And they was both proud and happy to view the model of their worksplace at the festival. Well, I like the building too ;)

So, here is some pictures for now. I will put up some more detailed pictures when I get some free time to get them...

The front and rear:

2009-01-12_0005.jpg_thumb.jpg 2009-01-12_0009.jpg_thumb.jpg

I've also put in a LCD screen with sound and movie support so the minifigs can see real live films ;)

(Front and rear view inside the cinema hall)

2009-01-10_0022.jpg_thumb.jpg 2009-01-10_0024.jpg_thumb.jpg

Some may even recognize the movie I'm playing here?

And here is some outside view off the cinema hall:

2009-01-12_0006.jpg_thumb.jpg 2009-01-12_0007.jpg_thumb.jpg

On the last picture here you can even see the two "paintings" I've finished so far.

All people I've met say it is much better to see this model live than on the picture in the newspaper or on the TV-programs that has been around this model.

Edited by F0NIX

These are absolutely awesome MOCs, FONIX! :thumbup:

I really :wub: the "Ishavskatedralen" and the "Verdensteatret" - they are simply perfect!

The interiors and exteriors of those buildings look totally realistic! Plus you added such great interiors into those two buildings! :oh:

You seem to be a genius!

Excellent work! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter